Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:08:55 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Tim Tebow Signs with Jaguars
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: Tim Tebow Signs with Jaguars  (Read 14350 times)
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2021, 07:08:07 pm »

Wait, you're using "distractions" in the defense of... a Tebow signing?!

Tim Tebow is one of the single biggest distractions you can sign to the roster.  He is a walking media circus.

If you want to say that Kap hasn't been signed because it would be a distraction, then fine... but don't do it at that same time you are defending a Tebow contract.   He was one of the biggest distractions in the league years before Kap took a knee.
"In the defense of a Tebow signing"? Who needs to be defended? A for profit business hired an employee. What's to defend?

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2021, 11:07:23 am »

"In the defense of a Tebow signing"? Who needs to be defended? A for profit business hired an employee. What's to defend?
There is truth to that. They may be more interested in making money selling jerseys than carrying another special teams player.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2021, 11:27:26 am »

https://www.tmz.com/2021/05/11/urban-meyer-jacksonville-jaguars-tim-tebow-workouts-shape-contract-tight-end/?fbclid=IwAR3RQsCjjVcPx8AWxCC0Zs7n9jvXvAU63HumABbex49vXr6b33tZs5jeZec

Urban Meyer -"I wasn't even there. And they (staff) came back to me and said, 'Wow, this guy's in incredible shape.'"

Meyer says his staff actually worked out Tebow multiple times in recent weeks ... and afterward, each time, they could not stop complimenting the ex-quarterback.

"They come in and they said, 'Wow. You know, this guy's ball skills,'" Meyer said. "'He's a great athlete. He looks like he's 18 years old, not whatever he is, 33.'"

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2021, 11:29:04 am »

I root for Tebow, in general.

He seems like a good guy.  And I think that he's a good athlete.

I don't want to jump to assigning motivations to the Jags, but it definitely could be about hype and jerseys and tickets.  Backup TEs with no experience shouldn't be getting press like this.  This should've happened straight out of college for him, but maybe it's not too late.

I drink your milkshake!
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2021, 11:43:41 am »

He seems like a good guy.  And I think that he's a good athlete.

I don't want to jump to assigning motivations to the Jags, but it definitely could be about hype and jerseys and tickets.  Backup TEs with no experience shouldn't be getting press like this.  This should've happened straight out of college for him, but maybe it's not too late.

It's probably 80% media hype and 20% Urban Meyer wanting to help out a guy who got him a National Championship. There is a very small outside chance he can contribute as a TE or a Goal line back or maybe as a trick play guy but the NFL is hard enough without being away from it for so many years.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2021, 01:48:51 pm »

It's probably 80% media hype and 20% Urban Meyer wanting to help out a guy who got him a National Championship. There is a very small outside chance he can contribute as a TE or a Goal line back or maybe as a trick play guy but the NFL is hard enough without being away from it for so many years.

I'd say it's 60% media hype, 20% Urban Meyer helping him out, and 20% ticket/jersey sale opportunities seeing as he is going to be playing in his hometown where he is a legend at Neace High in Ponte Vedra Beach and his parents are very active in the Jacksonville community.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2021, 03:27:12 pm »

I don't think he's going to be hugely successful, but I hope he does well.  Because of his prior experience I think he'll do better than a bunch of rookies and other back-up role players.  I hope they don't try and use him on trick plays because defenses are going to be guarding against that and I think it will be disastrous.  As for the franchise they will probably make more off of him than they will have to pay him; and as long as the fans are okay with it I don't see a problem.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2021, 04:24:52 pm »

I don't think he's going to be hugely successful, but I hope he does well.  Because of his prior experience I think he'll do better than a bunch of rookies and other back-up role players.  I hope they don't try and use him on trick plays because defenses are going to be guarding against that and I think it will be disastrous.  As for the franchise they will probably make more off of him than they will have to pay him; and as long as the fans are okay with it I don't see a problem.

Yeah, when we first started the Wildcat, it worked because we actually had Chad Pennington catch passes and Ronnie Brown throw. It became predictable when it was just a direct snapto a running back. Same will probably happen with Tebow trick plays, defenses will know what is coming and all you do is remove a man from  offense as a decoy.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2021, 08:45:49 pm »

Yeah, when we first started the Wildcat, it worked because we actually had Chad Pennington catch passes and Ronnie Brown throw.
Chad Pennington was targeted on exactly one pass during his career, when he was still with the Jets.  He has zero NFL receptions.

Throwing to Pennington was never part of the Wildcat.

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2021, 10:15:21 pm »

He seems like a good guy.  And I think that he's a good athlete.

I don't want to jump to assigning motivations to the Jags, but it definitely could be about hype and jerseys and tickets.  Backup TEs with no experience shouldn't be getting press like this.  This should've happened straight out of college for him, but maybe it's not too late.
He's getting press because the woke liberals are turning it into a Tebow/Kaepernick side show circus. Hell, it's happened in this thread. The "everything's racist" crowd are the ones generating Tebow and the Jaguars press and money

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2021, 12:28:50 am »

Tebow was a one-man circus long before anyone outside of San Francisco (or Nevada, I suppose) knew Colin Kaepernick's name.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2021, 02:04:52 pm »

I don't expect a Tebow circus if he is a TE.  No team has a TE controversy.  He'll get a lot of media play because people like to talk about him, but it's a whole different game when you're talking about unseating the starting QB. 

I drink your milkshake!
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2021, 02:55:59 pm »

Tebow was a one-man circus long before anyone outside of San Francisco (or Nevada, I suppose) knew Colin Kaepernick's name.

I don't expect a Tebow circus if he is a TE.  No team has a TE controversy.  He'll get a lot of media play because people like to talk about him, but it's a whole different game when you're talking about unseating the starting QB. 
If he gets attention because he's popular or unpopular, that's one thing. But the manufactured outrage from the social justice warriors crying about whatever they're crying about. WTF they crying about anyhow, I don't even know at this point. I'm sure it has something to do with some perceived racism, just like everything else they cry about.

Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2021, 06:05:56 pm »

Chad Pennington was targeted on exactly one pass during his career, when he was still with the Jets.  He has zero NFL receptions.

Throwing to Pennington was never part of the Wildcat.

The point of having Pennington there was it meant he still had the chance to get the ball (presumably to throw) so the opposing defense had to treat it as an option.

More importantly though - the key players were already out on the field so it could be sprung without substitution, which denied the opposition time to adjust and prepare.

Subbing out the QB (or for that matter, subbing in a specific Wildcat QB) undoes the whole element of surprise, which is when/why the Wildcat works.
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2021, 06:58:04 pm »

Big deal over nothing.  He won't mae the roster

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray