Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:26:46 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Gerrit Cole Sucks Now
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Gerrit Cole Sucks Now  (Read 3139 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« on: July 06, 2021, 01:17:59 pm »

Gerrit Cole before and after the new sticky rule enforcement:

Before                          After
2.31             ERA           6.46
.198        BA Against      .288

That's not good. That's REALLY not good.  If this keeps up the rest of the year, do the Yankees have any legal options to void the contract? After all, the sticky ban was always in effect, it just wasn't enforced until now. His spin rate is way down, showing that whatever he was using was the cause of the rate. I can see this being due to an in season adjustment but he is a profesisonal and if this keeps up for another 4-5 starts, I don't think he is turning it around.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2021, 01:46:19 pm »

^^^ I have Gerrit Cole on my Uber Wars fantasy squad...and yeah, his numbers have truly sucked since they started cracking down on the stickiness.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 03:27:08 pm »

I have a few friends who are Yankees fans.  One of them put this on his Facebook:  Watching the Yankees this year is like......

My comment:  Cleaning all the bathrooms in Grand Central Station with my tongue.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 03:47:23 pm »

As someone who really hates the Yankees, my answer would be:  

Watching the Yankees this year is like... Seeing the stuck-up girl in HS who rudely turned you down for a dance, walking into the free clinic to get checked for an STD.

Evil

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2021, 04:03:41 pm »

I have a few friends who are Yankees fans.  One of them put this on his Facebook:  Watching the Yankees this year is like......

My comment:  Cleaning all the bathrooms in Grand Central Station with my tongue.

I am a Yankee fan and my reaction is basically the Joker, you get what you fucking deserve. Want to only care about your bottom line and sign bargain bin talent and reclamation projects instead of winning a World Series? Good. Now your "young core" is heading for free agency and have all played like shit except for Judge. They are basically going to either load up in free agency or tear it down again now because they cared too much about the luxury tax threshhold while pocketing hundreds of millions a year. Their window was in 2018 and they did nothing about it in the offseason but cut coupons.

Big George was a dick but you knew what his priorities for the team were. His sons do not.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2021, 06:21:01 pm »

Fuck the yankees.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2021, 09:37:23 pm »

That's not good. That's REALLY not good.  If this keeps up the rest of the year, do the Yankees have any legal options to void the contract?
Only if bottom-of-the-rotation pitchers who didn't decline (with rule enforcement) and are now the most reliable guys on a pitching staff are now entitled to be paid more than their contract.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2021, 08:39:01 am »

Only if bottom-of-the-rotation pitchers who didn't decline (with rule enforcement) and are now the most reliable guys on a pitching staff are now entitled to be paid more than their contract.

I meant in terms of void it due to cheating. Can it be voided somehow if he was caught cheating and is now worthless? Between the burden of proof and the powerful MLBPA, I don't see it happening but I bet the Yankees lawyers are doing their research right now.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2021, 11:30:05 am »

If you were being paid less because other pitchers (that you had to compete against for contracts) were cheating, and their contracts (hypothetically) got reduced after the rules were enforced because their performance declined but yours didn't, shouldn't your contract be increased accordingly?

I highlighted "but yours didn't" in that sentence because it's important: if every pitcher in the league was now doing significantly worse, there isn't much of an argument to make for punishing a drop in performance.  The best pitchers would still be the best pitchers (relative to everyone else).

ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2021, 10:47:50 pm »

He pitched a complete game shutout against Houston tonight.  Threw 129 pitches.   Color me surprised
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2021, 05:01:54 pm »

He pitched a complete game shutout against Houston tonight.  Threw 129 pitches.   Color me surprised

Reduced spin rate or not, the guy still throws 100 MPH. He even bullied Aaron Boone into keeping him in, wanting to finish the game. Maybe he made the necessary adjustments after 6 terrible starts, but we'll see.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2021, 05:57:58 pm »

Reduced spin rate or not, the guy still throws 100 MPH. He even bullied Aaron Boone into keeping him in, wanting to finish the game. Maybe he made the necessary adjustments after 6 terrible starts, but we'll see.

Aaron Boone is fighting for his job after the collapse today. 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 06:22:44 pm by ArtieChokePhin » Logged
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2021, 06:42:11 pm »

Aaron Boone is fighting for his job after the collapse today. 

He is but the fault lies with the players and with management for not prioritizing winning over balance sheet. Not his fault ownership only gave him ONE reliable starter in Gerrit Cole. They went bargain shopping for Cory Kluber and Jameson Tailon and Jordan Montgomery was always a 3 at best. That's not a rotation that wins a World Series. You can't spend $80 Million on a bullpen and $45 Million on a rotation.

In all honesty, I would be hard sellers at the deadline and blow it up, hope for another quick turnaround in say 2023 and spend the fortune you have to build a winner.
TonyB0D
Uber Member

Crank it up!!

Email
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2021, 02:49:17 pm »

Too soon...he's still one of the best pitchers in the league.  On pace for a Cy Young this year LOL
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2021, 02:58:20 pm »

1,400 lifetime IP with a 3.14 ERA, 11.09 S09 and an .0942 WHIP.  The man didn't get those stats using "sticky stuff," he will be fine, he just needs to re-adjust (and he will).

Looks like he already did. It was just quite concerning that the moment the ban took effect, he became absolute garbage. To me, it looks like it did effect him but he did make the necessary adjustments or found some untraceable glue and now he is fine.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray