Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:18:51 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  NFL to play 'black national anthem' and police brutality victims on helmets
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: NFL to play 'black national anthem' and police brutality victims on helmets  (Read 2702 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: July 16, 2021, 10:17:39 am »

The NFL wants to keep people separated and fighting. I can only guess it is a matter of time before they are playing the Latino, Asian, and Italian National anthem a well. As if we don't have enough of the world shoving wokeness in our face.

I realize I'm in the minority in here but I remember when sports was a reprieve from the problems of the world for a short time. Seems so long ago.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9793551/NFL-plans-play-Black-national-anthem-ahead-2021-season.html

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 10:35:27 am »

As if we don't have enough of the world shoving wokeness in our face.

Since most people I know (outside of the far right, of course) define "woke" as "someone who cares about the feelings/well-being of other races/cultures/religions, then I have to continue wondering when you're going to actually wake up...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 10:41:20 am »

Since most people I know (outside of the far right, of course) define "woke" as "someone who cares about the feelings/well-being of other races/cultures/religions, then I have to continue wondering when you're going to actually wake up...

Because when you shove stuff like this in people's faces, it pisses off some people.   I, for one, won't support any entity that advertises social justice or this cancel culture bullshit.   I've even stopped drinking Coca Cola products.  I don't know how to be less white but I sure do know how to drink less Coke.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 11:10:12 am »

I, for one, won't support any entity that advertises social justice or this cancel culture bullshit.

But yet, you support the King of Cancel Culture, Herr Trump, who thinks that anyone or anything that disagrees with him should be shut down (see Goodyear or any other Twitter disagreement for support).

Isn't that the very definition of Cancel Culture?  If not, is there a different definition that you're using?

Because, if the standard definition applies, then it seems fairly reasonable to come to the conclusion that you actually DO like cancel culture...as long as it is something that you want cancelled.

For further corroboration:  https://www.dictionary.com/browse/hypocrisy

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2021, 01:07:00 pm »

You do realize that by not purchasing Coca Cole you are participating in the cancel culture, don't you?
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2021, 01:11:12 pm »

I don't think this is that big of a deal. Play whatever song you want. As for the names,  that may be a bit much and ultimately I don't think it happens.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2021, 01:15:57 pm »

Lift every voice and sing is a poem first performed to honor Lincoln’s birthday and the emancipation of slavery.  One can only conclude that if you oppose the performance of that song it is because you oppose the ending of race based chattel slavery in the USA.  

Most Americans celebrate the ending of slavery as a step forward. Your opposition to the ending of slavery is noted.  

As for boycotting brands who have a message you disagree with — that is certainly your right, but that is the very definition cancel culture.  You can’t boycott something to oppose cancel culture.  

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2021, 03:33:52 pm »

You do realize that by not purchasing Coca Cole you are participating in the cancel culture, don't you?
Yes. I don't necessarily support just stopping but I do understand those that do especially if the org is cancelling something you support. I have drank coke since then but that's what I use with my jack and don't intend to change just because they suck as an org.

My biggest issue with this whole thing is having separate national anthems means we are already a divided country which reinforces what I said the other day. We are heading towards two countries with blue and red state ideals. We are so far apart we can't even have one national anthem let alone anything else to unite us then we are doomed.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2021, 03:36:49 pm »

Lift every voice and sing is a poem first performed to honor Lincoln’s birthday and the emancipation of slavery.  One can only conclude that if you oppose the performance of that song it is because you oppose the ending of race based chattel slavery in the USA.  

Most Americans celebrate the ending of slavery as a step forward. Your opposition to the ending of slavery is noted.  

As for boycotting brands who have a message you disagree with — that is certainly your right, but that is the very definition cancel culture.  You can’t boycott something to oppose cancel culture.  
Everything you just said is as irrelevant because nothing explains why we should have a second anthem for the part of the country that refuses the actual National Anthem. The same anthem that every single black who has prospered under has supported until the slave owning democrats told them not to. It's absolutely ludicrous.

GEORGE FOREMAN: ‘IF I HAD TO DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN, I WOULD HAVE HAD TWO FLAGS’

« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 03:40:15 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2021, 03:42:58 pm »

Everything you just said is as irrelevant because nothing explains why we should have a second anthem for the part of the country that refuses the actual National Anthem. The same anthem that every single black who has prospered under has supported until the slave owning democrats told them not to. It's absolutely ludicrous.

Why should we celebrate the moment that white men gain their independence from the king of england rather than celebrate the moment ALL men became free?  
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 03:45:41 pm by MyGodWearsAHoodie » Logged

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2021, 03:48:15 pm »

Because it set up the system that allowed for every single person to prosper in this country. It took some longer than others but that same system worked and is working for all of us. Every time we label ourselves like African Americans or use separate songs for anthems all we are doing is separating ourselves from each other. You might as well put back up the "whites only" or "blacks only" at the water fountains since we love going backwards.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2021, 04:23:48 pm »

It took some longer than others ...

I wonder why that is?

Check that...no need to wonder why. It's because a whole lot of white folks said "black people as equals? The hell, you say!"

~ Micah Leggat
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2021, 05:39:38 pm »

I don't care what they play before the game. It accomplishes jack shit for anyone.   Warning:  I'm about to roll out the proverbial "I have a black friend" comment..........My friend (who is black, there it is!) and I were talking about this just today.  He is one of the most practical people I know and he sees through smoke as well as anyone I know.  I asked his thoughts on the playing of the Black National Anthem before games.  His sarcastic reply, "I can't wait to see how many educational and employment opportunities that opens up within the black community.  As usual, my fellow members of the black community will call this a victory, and the well intentioned but clueless white people who support the community will feel so much better about themselves and all they are doing for the plight of the inner city.  White folks in their gated communities will pat themselves on the back and say 'Golly gee, The black folk sure are lucky to have people like us to play a song and set up a couple murals to make their lives better.'  (Bryan's overdone white guy imitation always cracks me up)  Meanwhile the NFL just like every other corporation that dishes out a few crumbs of meaningless appeasement will High 5 each other over the good publicity they receive for not doing a damn thing to make a single change that will put a dent in racism or the lack of opportunities for the people they claim to be supporting."    That wasn't an exact quote, but it was close enough that I was comfortable using quotation marks.   
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2021, 06:03:18 pm »

I'm with comedian Bill Burr on this type of stuff, just cut it out.  Get rid of the pink cancer week, and all the other stuff the NFL does to make themselves not look like the money grubbing billionaires they are.  Stop performing the National Anthem, not gonna bother me.  The NFL does all this stuff just to placate the complainers that don't even support them by a single penny.

JUST GIVE ME MY FOOTBALL GAME WITHOUT ALL THE BS.

P.S. Cut out the stupid sideline reports with stupid questions at half time also.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2021, 09:43:02 pm »

JUST GIVE ME MY FOOTBALL GAME WITHOUT ALL THE BS.

This is why I will have nothing to do with the cancel culture/social justice bullshit.  Because that's what it all is.... bullshit.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray