Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:15:02 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  NFL to play 'black national anthem' and police brutality victims on helmets
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: NFL to play 'black national anthem' and police brutality victims on helmets  (Read 2697 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2021, 06:06:59 am »

Weird how we don't hear all this keep politics out of my sports talk when this kind of stuff is going on:

The problem is not politics in sports.
The problem is that you oppose the particular message being sent.
When it's a message you agree with, you stand up and cheer.

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2021, 09:55:10 am »

Weird how we don't hear all this keep politics out of my sports talk when this kind of stuff is going on:

You are correct.  Hypocrisy is one of the most commonly shared traits across the spectrum of human societies.  We see this every day.  Much the same as the right and left both complaining about filibusters when one is not working in their favor while both the right and the left gleefully praise the filibuster when it DOES work in their favor.  Hypocrisy is one of the few things that is rampant across gender, race, nationality, religion, and just about any other societal subset that you can think of. 
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2021, 04:28:14 pm »

And I will cheer for them because those brave men and women, of all races I might add, fought for our right to be there and enjoy the game, not to mention live and prosper in this country.  I will stand for them because some of them literally can't stand because they were defending that right.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2021, 06:38:53 pm »

And I will cheer for them because those brave men and women, of all races I might add, fought for our right to be there and enjoy the game, not to mention live and prosper in this country.  I will stand for them because some of them literally can't stand because they were defending that right.

So you will cheer on political messages you agree with and oppose political messages you disagree with.  That is fine, but it is NOT the same as opposing using sports as a platform for political messages.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2021, 03:23:24 am »

I don't think a military salute is a political message. They are apolitical.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2021, 09:43:35 am »

I don't think a military salute is a political message. They are apolitical.

The are not partisan, but they are political.  Unless you also believe antiwar protests, refusing to register for the draft or blocking military recruiters from schools is also apolitical.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2021, 10:06:53 am »

The are not partisan, but they are political.  Unless you also believe antiwar protests, refusing to register for the draft or blocking military recruiters from schools is also apolitical.
Maybe it's just me but I doubt very highly that very many ... if any "anti-war" protesters are watching men try to kill each other for a trophy.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2021, 11:02:59 am »

I partly agree with you, but I don't think the "salute to service" events themselves are political, but they are definitely used for political reasons.  If that makes any sense. 
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2021, 12:40:57 pm »

I partly agree with you, but I don't think the "salute to service" events themselves are political, but they are definitely used for political reasons.  If that makes any sense. 

They are, but they shouldn't be. 
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2021, 02:48:19 pm »

There is a difference. Your examples are about specific policy so it would be political. A salute to service is just about thanks whether they served in conflict or peace time or whether they were infantry or a line cook. Usually there is no specific designation from my experience.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2021, 02:58:46 pm »

I don't find this political per se because it's not a Democrat vs Republican issue; but I don't need to see this at the football games either.  I became especially anti-military at NFL games when I found out that NFL Teams charged the various military groups to be able to hold these events at the opening of games, or at half time.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2021, 03:52:05 pm »

Maybe it's just me but I doubt very highly that very many ... if any "anti-war" protesters are watching men try to kill each other for a trophy.

I doubt Mohammad Ali would share your opinion that opposing killing people in war precludes enjoying violent but non-lethal sports.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2021, 04:00:54 pm »

It sounds like you're saying that certain kinds of political speech are OK at football games as long as the audience agrees with it.

This puts the OP in absolutely perfect context.  Like I said: the problem is not that it's political, the problem is that you disagree with the message.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 04:02:50 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2021, 09:23:44 pm »

They are, but they shouldn't be. 

That I definitely agree with. 
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2021, 01:28:04 pm »

It sounds like you're saying that certain kinds of political speech are OK at football games as long as the audience agrees with it.
It sounds exactly like it is said. I don't care to argue against your opinion but your stat is laughable at best.

My opinion is we have one flag and one national anthem and regardless of differences that is where we should all fall under.  Yours appears to be that blacks needs something to separates themselves. Neither of us is going to change that.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray