Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:07:11 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Cleveland Guardians
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Cleveland Guardians  (Read 7316 times)
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« on: July 23, 2021, 05:17:20 pm »

The Cleveland Indians are no more. Guardians was chosen after over 1190 names were considered. It is drawn from the Guardians of Traffic on the Hope Memorial Bridge outside the stadium.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 07:23:39 am »

Another team succumbs to the cancel culture bullshit
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 11:16:19 am »

This has been inevitable for a while and in a couple of years nobody will remember or care.

I drink your milkshake!
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 11:18:44 am »

Also, this isn’t cancel culture.  It’s capitalism.  Cleveland is choosing this for themselves because it’s a more financially viable path.  Nobody is making them do it.  They are a business and it’s harder to sell merch and they’ll likely do better with the new branding.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 11:21:37 am by Dave Gray » Logged

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2021, 11:21:55 am »

Not surprising that some folks are upset that the USA is not as racist today as it was in 1915.  Racism is still a problem but being less racist upsets some.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2021, 12:10:45 pm »

I was really hoping for Cleveland Spiders.  Guardians is kinda lame, though I understand the connection to the city.

Interested to see what the mascot and logo are.  Hopefully there's a decent option to get on a hat, instead of that incredibly terrible block C.

edit: They're replacing the terrible block C with a new, better one!  We are pleased.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 12:54:42 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2021, 07:10:50 pm »

As a traditionalist I was hoping for the Rustlers or maybe the Lake Shores or Bluebirds. 

ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2021, 07:39:59 am »

Not surprising that some folks are upset that the USA is not as racist today as it was in 1915.  Racism is still a problem but being less racist upsets some.

Indians is racist?   I can't name one person that is offended by the nickname Indians for a team.  Or even the Redskins for that matter.  That name was actually invented by a Native American.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2021, 09:13:37 am »

Indians is racist?   I can't name one person that is offended by the nickname Indians for a team.  Or even the Redskins for that matter.  That name was actually invented by a Native American.
No different than Aunt Jemima, Uncle Ben's, or any other minorities being scrubbed from retail products. Give it a while, all the woke crowd currently crying that it's racist to have minorities on such products will be the first ones saying, "Why aren't black people being represented on products and in advertising, that's racist".  It's all hypocritical nonsense.

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2021, 11:00:47 am »

in a couple of years nobody will remember or care.

I already don't care.  LOL   Honestly, I think it is kind of silly, but I'm not going to get spun up about it because we have a hell of a lot bigger problems in this country than sports teams whitewashing (no pun intended) their names. 
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2021, 01:19:28 pm »

Charles Somers doesn't sound  very Native American but I would guess he's got a percentage.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2021, 04:25:44 pm »

I can't name one person that is offended by the nickname Indians for a team.  Or even the Redskins for that matter.

You "can't name one person" who would be offended by a literal racial slur?

Yet somehow, I'm guessing you DO know people who are offended by silent kneeling during the national anthem.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 04:29:43 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2021, 01:54:56 pm »

No different than Aunt Jemima, Uncle Ben's, or any other minorities being scrubbed from retail products. Give it a while, all the woke crowd currently crying that it's racist to have minorities on such products will be the first ones saying, "Why aren't black people being represented on products and in advertising, that's racist".  It's all hypocritical nonsense.
In the 60's they thought we would be flying in cars by now but instead we are just discovering food brands are racist. Only white labeled foods are accepted by minorities and liberals.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2021, 02:04:47 pm »

There is a difference between using minorities in advertising and using stereotypes and cartoons charactertors of minorities.  Of course  those promoting racist stereotypes to justify continuing the racist divide have a problem with black santas but want cartoon indians

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2021, 02:44:43 pm »

I'm more okay when the actually minorities are offended versus some white woke liberal who thinks it shouldn't be that way.  People are way too soft these days, but if the actually minorities being displayed under these products and sports teams find this sort of thing offensive, then by all means change it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray