Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:01:29 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Cleveland Guardians
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Cleveland Guardians  (Read 7230 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2021, 02:53:56 pm »

There is a difference between using minorities in advertising and using stereotypes and cartoons charactertors of minorities.  Of course  those promoting racist stereotypes to justify continuing the racist divide have a problem with black santas but want cartoon indians
I don't think most people care about a Black Santa or gay or female super hero or whatever as much as you want them to. Most people don't want the ones they know changed to make it that way but create a new one and they will support it. Who doesn't like Black Panther but it would have sucked had they turned Superman into a black guy. Re-do Frosty with a Black Santa and people would be upset just as would they if someone made Pinocchio a girl.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2021, 03:00:28 pm »

it would have sucked had they turned Superman into a black guy

I got some bad news for you.

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2021, 03:06:23 pm »

I got some bad news for you.
Rumor is Cavil is coming back too, so two Supermans at least...probably doing an infinite earths thing soon.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2021, 03:23:17 pm »

Regarding the comic thing, I kinda understand both sides.  On one hand, you want characters to look how you imagine them on the page.  But on the other hand, we don't live in a world with only white men anymore.  Things have to evolve and change. 

So, some are more jarring that others.  I think it really depends on who is cast and how its done.  There's also the reality of wanting to make a product that is marketable to more people.  The Fast and Furious is some dumb shit, but it has a whole cast of people who look different and can appeal in lots of different markets.  That's part of why it makes so much money.

That is good and bad, both -- watering down stories to appeal to everyone maybe isn't always best.  Like most things, there's a balance.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2021, 01:34:00 pm »

Regarding the comic thing, I kinda understand both sides.  On one hand, you want characters to look how you imagine them on the page.  But on the other hand, we don't live in a world with only white men anymore.  Things have to evolve and change. 

So, some are more jarring that others.  I think it really depends on who is cast and how its done.  There's also the reality of wanting to make a product that is marketable to more people.  The Fast and Furious is some dumb shit, but it has a whole cast of people who look different and can appeal in lots of different markets.  That's part of why it makes so much money.

That is good and bad, both -- watering down stories to appeal to everyone maybe isn't always best.  Like most things, there's a balance.
I agree with pretty much everything you said but I also think most people like consistency. It's the outliers screaming for change. Most people would be just as upset if they remade Sanford and Son with white people.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2021, 02:53:59 pm »

I was so on board with the Spiders (for rather obvious reasons) but I am warming up to Guardians.  It's a strong and unique symbol of the city.

I'm not sure what I am going to do with my Indians gear.  As I've said before, Chief Wahoo was literally the reason I became an Indians fan.  I have a bunch of Indians gear with Chief Wahoo on it, and a few things that don't have him.

I think the only thing I can see myself wearing going forward is my fake Ricky Vaughn jersey.  Outside of that, wearing Indians gear will probably get me lots of thumbs up from MAGA types, which is definitely not the kind of experience I would enjoy.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2021, 02:59:51 pm »

Wow.  I went back and read that thread from 2013 I linked, and yeesh... a lot of those comments aged like room temperature milk.

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2021, 04:46:39 pm »

Wow.  I went back and read that thread from 2013 I linked, and yeesh... a lot of those comments aged like room temperature milk.

And I noticed it's been over 5 years since MikeO has posted on here.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2021, 04:50:38 pm »

I was so on board with the Spiders (for rather obvious reasons) but I am warming up to Guardians.  It's a strong and unique symbol of the city.

I'm not sure what I am going to do with my Indians gear.  As I've said before, Chief Wahoo was literally the reason I became an Indians fan.  I have a bunch of Indians gear with Chief Wahoo on it, and a few things that don't have him.

I think the only thing I can see myself wearing going forward is my fake Ricky Vaughn jersey.  Outside of that, wearing Indians gear will probably get me lots of thumbs up from MAGA types, which is definitely not the kind of experience I would enjoy.

I'm sorry to see the Indians name go, I don't think it's used as derogatory.  On the other hand the Chief Wahoo had to go (I thought they removed this a couple years ago), as it's a cartoonish, drunken portrayal of an indian.  I also have a *fake* Ricky Vaughn jersey I'll continue to wear, but I need a hat to go with it, so I better order one.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2021, 01:58:35 pm »

The Indians thing is like calling a team the Europeans to me so I don't see the slur. Many different nationalities make up Indians.  I may not agree with removing Redskins but I at least understand that.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2021, 05:02:49 pm »

The Indians thing is like calling a team the Europeans to me so I don't see the slur. Many different nationalities make up Indians.  I may not agree with removing Redskins but I at least understand that.

The capitol of India is New Delhi.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2021, 08:01:35 pm »

The capitol of India is New Delhi.
The capital of the Netherlands is Amsterdam.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2021, 11:20:49 am »

I haven't actually looked into it: What's the significance of the name Guardians to Cleveland.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2021, 12:23:32 pm »

I haven't actually looked into it: What's the significance of the name Guardians to Cleveland.

Covered in the original post.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2021, 12:39:42 pm »

"Guardians of Traffic "

Anyone familiar with this?  I'm sure I could just Google it, but I'd like to hear it.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray