Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 01:34:27 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Covid in Florida
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17 Print
Author Topic: Covid in Florida  (Read 18224 times)
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« on: July 24, 2021, 08:08:10 pm »

I just saw a recent YouTube video that said the governor would not have any lockdowns despite 6500 new cases a day.   Are these just mild cases?   Are they positive tests?   Is the healthcare system overworked?  I do not see any lockdown needs unless the healthcare system is overworked

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 10:51:02 am »

In FL, we need mask mandates in schools, first and foremost.

That's crazy to me.

Other than that, I think lockdowns probably don't make sense.  Mask mandates in public, inside places, I would prefer, but if that's not a thing, I can at least personally limit my interactions, socially distance, and get the vaccine myself.  I'm not going to die on that hill.  I can protect myself and my children with personal choice there.  It's really schools that I'm adamant about.  No vaccine is available and I can't protect my children.

For kids under 12, there's nowhere to go -- there's a full room of unvaccinated people all sitting together.  It's unsafe.

1) Masking and distancing in school.
2) Once there's full and comprehensive FDA approval, mandate the vaccine for school like all the other vaccines we already mandate.
3) Businesses need to start mandating it or at least make working without it inconvenient.
4) Require vaccine for travel and things like that.

This shit is crazy that we're letting it go on this long.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 12:23:52 pm »

Given that there is still no approved vaccine for kids under 12, a mandate for child vaccination is a LONG way out.

I would say we'll need to see a lot more kids dying before any changes are made, but the last year has shown that we're dealing with a death cult and more deaths won't change a thing.  So it is what it is.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 12:25:26 pm »

Given that there is still no approved vaccine for kids under 12, a mandate for child vaccination is a LONG way out.

I expect this.  Probably next school year.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 12:49:43 pm »

The CDC statement that masks are unnecessary in for the vaccinated has been abused.  If you are getting together with friends you trust to tell the truth you can have an unmasked get together.  That is it.

1. Certainly masks are still needed in close groups where virtually all of the population is unvaccinated.  Schools

2. Mask mandates must remain in place in public locations  unless there is verification that the person is vaccinated, by presenting the vax card.  E.g a store can either have someone checking at the door or just require everyone regardless of status.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 01:41:38 pm »

I hate the logic people are using.

1. The vaccine doesn't prevent a person from contracting or spreading the virus.

2. A mask doesn't help the person wearing as much as it is to help prevent the person from spreading it.

Therefore either everyone wears a mask or no one. A vaccine means nothing in relation to masking.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2021, 01:57:45 pm »

1. The vaccine doesn't prevent a person from contracting or spreading the virus.

2. A mask doesn't help the person wearing as much as it is to help prevent the person from spreading it.

Therefore either everyone wears a mask or no one. A vaccine means nothing in relation to masking.

#2 is absolutely correct.  However, while the vax is not 100% effective at stopping contractions or spreading the disease it is very effective.  A vaccinated person even if sick is unlikely to be sick enough to pass on the disease. 

ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2021, 01:57:59 pm »

Unless everyone is vaccinated.  Which we as a country will never get to that point.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2021, 03:28:24 pm »

I need a fact check on this.

I could swear that:

1) the vaccine REDUCES (but doesn't eliminate) catching the virus.
2) the vaccines REDUCES (but doesn't eliminate) the viral load that would then spread the virus.
3) the vaccine ELIMINATES (within 1% margin or error or something like that) serious illness (death).

Also:

Wearing a cloth mask:
1) SLIGHTLY REDUCES catching the virus.
2) GREATLY REDUCES spreading the virus.

If this is incorrect, please provide information as to the truth.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2021, 01:58:21 am »

#2 is absolutely correct.  However, while the vax is not 100% effective at stopping contractions or spreading the disease it is very effective.  A vaccinated person even if sick is unlikely to be sick enough to pass on the disease.  

Bullshit. The level of an individual's personal symptoms has nothing to do with their ability to pass along a virus. People without an outbreak can pass Herpes. How many "healthy" people passed HIV? Being vaccinated at the current time means dick all about who should and should not wear a mask.

I will throw in that this particular virus has been spread by people who were not sick enough to experience symptoms.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 02:21:05 am by Phishfan » Logged
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2021, 02:11:47 am »

I need a fact check on this.

I could swear that:

1) the vaccine REDUCES (but doesn't eliminate) catching the virus.
2) the vaccines REDUCES (but doesn't eliminate) the viral load that would then spread the virus.
3) the vaccine ELIMINATES (within 1% margin or error or something like that) serious illness (death).

Also:

Wearing a cloth mask:
1) SLIGHTLY REDUCES catching the virus.
2) GREATLY REDUCES spreading the virus.

If this is incorrect, please provide information as to the truth.

So, nothing you typed says a vaccine prevents transmission. I won't argue it may lessen but I guarantee it doesn't prevent. I can't give any fact check at this point because there really isn't 3 fact check. You can't prove a negative and it is still very early into this no matter how long it feels to you. Remember,  the same people talking about how vaccinated people can return to normal are the same ones that lied about not needing masks initially. They are saying whatever they need to in order to steer people in the direction they need.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2021, 09:12:12 am »

For me the pandemic is OVER. 

I am vaccinated.

I can catch it.  If I catch it, I might feel like crap for a few days, but I won’t die and I won’t go to the hospital.  Almost every year I catch something that makes me feel like crap for a few days.

I might spread it.  Very small chance I could spread it to someone vaccinated.  They won’t die.  They might feel like crap for a few days.

I might spread it to unvaccinated adult. They might die.  I don’t give a FUCK.  Get the vaccine. 

The ONLY people at this point I have any concern for are those under 12. 

My youngest niece is 13.  Everyone I personally care about is vaccinated.

In the rare situations I am indoors near a group of children I put my mask on, because I do care about the children in general.

But I don’t give a shit about unvaccinated adults.  Prior covid spikes concerned me, this one isn’t people dying from covid, it is people dying from stupidity.

This was NOT my attitude when I first got vaccinated.  I got lucky and vaccinated early on when many others who wanted the vaccine were still waiting for a shot.  I was very cognizant of protecting them.  But now you can walk into almost every pharmacy without an appointment and get a shot in 15 minutes for free.  If you are over 12 and not vaccinated, you have nobody to blame but yourself.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2021, 10:21:11 am »

Just so we're not parsing words:

If you get the vaccine, there's a reduced chance that you get COVID or spread COVID, but it's still possible.  It's helping prevent the spread, but not eliminating it 100%.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2021, 01:02:59 pm »

So, nothing you typed says a vaccine prevents transmission. I won't argue it may lessen but I guarantee it doesn't prevent.
You are missing the point.

The point is not that vaccinated people "cannot transmit the disease." The point is that if everyone is vaccinated, WE NO LONGER CARE ABOUT TRANSMISSION because for vaccinated people, COVID is actually LESS dangerous than the flu.

Let me repeat for emphasis: the only reason we need to care about COVID transmission is because there are unvaccinated people.  

Remember,  the same people talking about how vaccinated people can return to normal are the same ones that lied about not needing masks initially.
I'm surprised to see you peddling this nonsense.  You certainly know the difference between:

a) YOU, the layman, don't need a surgical mask because we expect a nationwide mask shortage and all available surgical masks need to go to healthcare providers

and

b) Surgical masks, which have been used by medical professionals for decades, don't actually do anything to stop COVID... but also, please wear cloth masks of your own making, because those DO help

This "They told us we don't need masks!" BS is the most transparently bad-faith argument.  It's incredibly (and willfully) stupid.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2021, 02:27:25 pm »

One of the guys on my softball team  is in medicinal sales ... specifically vaccines. He hasn't been vaccinated and said no f'ing way will he be right now.   

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray