Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:08:27 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Capital Hearings
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Capital Hearings  (Read 2875 times)
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2021, 06:50:40 pm »

The GOP's take on this is pretty disgusting.  This isn't partisan.

What happened on that day was shameful and horrific.  What is equally shameful and horrific is how we're shaming the officers that were there.

I can't even discuss this intelligently, because it makes me so fucking mad.  I'm horrified that this is our country.  I'm disgusted.

Dave:  I agree with all of your comments except about this not being partisan.  I think the whole purpose of the hearings is partisan politics.  Why are they even having hearings on this?  What do they expect to accomplish with these hearings?  IMO the whole point is to rebuff Trump, or somehow blame him for the actions of the protesters.  I'm all for arresting, trying, and putting in jail the people that committed crimes, but this hearing isn't the forum for doing that.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2021, 07:26:36 pm »

Dave:  I agree with all of your comments except about this not being partisan.  I think the whole purpose of the hearings is partisan politics.  Why are they even having hearings on this?  What do they expect to accomplish with these hearings?  IMO the whole point is to rebuff Trump, or somehow blame him for the actions of the protesters.  I'm all for arresting, trying, and putting in jail the people that committed crimes, but this hearing isn't the forum for doing that.

There was an attack on the US capitol.  We need to know what happened, who was behind it, what the security failures were, and how it can be prevented.  In your opinion was investigating 9/11 partisan?  

The only thing partisan is the republican’s opposition to finding what happened that caused the first breach to the US capitol since the war of 1812. I suspect that the reason for such strong opposition to this inquiry is Republican leadership know that when the facts come out it will implicate them worse that what is already suspected, otherwise they would embrace it to clear their name.

If you consider Cheney too liberal, you aren’t a conservative republican, you are a fascist.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 07:33:40 pm by MyGodWearsAHoodie » Logged

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2021, 08:46:59 pm »

There was an attack on the US capitol.  We need to know what happened, who was behind it, what the security failures were, and how it can be prevented.

I agree with you on all of this; however I don't see this hearing adding any meaningful or useful information to answer the questions you are asking.  What I see going on is political theater (by both Democrats and Republicans).

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2021, 01:21:45 am »

Dave:  I agree with all of your comments except about this not being partisan.  I think the whole purpose of the hearings is partisan politics.  Why are they even having hearings on this?  What do they expect to accomplish with these hearings?  IMO the whole point is to rebuff Trump, or somehow blame him for the actions of the protesters.  I'm all for arresting, trying, and putting in jail the people that committed crimes, but this hearing isn't the forum for doing that.

I agree with you on all of this; however I don't see this hearing adding any meaningful or useful information to answer the questions you are asking.  What I see going on is political theater (by both Democrats and Republicans).
The problem with your argument is that the original act was itself partisan!  It was an act by Trump, Trumpist Congressmembers, and Trump supporters to keep Trump in office!  So of course, any repercussions would NECESSARILY be partisan.

Now, you might want to dispute my previous paragraph and say things like:

- Trump didn't incite the invasion!
- It wasn't Trump supporters that invaded the Capitol!
- Trumpist Congressmembers did not aid & abet the invasion!

And guess how we resolve those questions?  That's right: an investigation. But the problem is that the same people who are saying that the invasion WASN'T a partisan act to illegally prevent a Democrat from being confirmed as president... are trying to block the investigation.

When there is a partisan attempt to overthrow the government, the repercussions from that event will necessarily be partisan.  Now, the investigation itself doesn't have to be partisan... and in point of fact, this one isn't (no matter how much you want to claim that Cheney and Kinzinger "aren't real Republicans").

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2021, 11:18:17 am »

Dave:  I agree with all of your comments except about this not being partisan.  I think the whole purpose of the hearings is partisan politics.  Why are they even having hearings on this?  What do they expect to accomplish with these hearings?  IMO the whole point is to rebuff Trump, or somehow blame him for the actions of the protesters.  I'm all for arresting, trying, and putting in jail the people that committed crimes, but this hearing isn't the forum for doing that.

It is not partisan.

Also, if you listen or watch the hearings, it's not a circus.  It's just people telling their stories about the facts of the day.  There are multiple life-long, high-serving Republicans on the panel.

When there are major incidents in the country: Wars, 9/11, Watergate, Assassinations, etc.  -- you use a bipartisan commission to create a fact-based account of what happened.  First, to understand, but secondly, so you can prevent it in the future and learn from it.

This is not artificially coming for Trump, but likely naturally coming for Trump, not because of partisan hackery, but because TRUMP DID THAT SHIT and he doesn't want the truth coming out.  A commission gives power to put people under oath.  We need to find, just as a country of people, what was going on in the White House before and especially DURING the attack.  Who knew what threats, what was the response, who asked for help, was it denied, etc.

What makes it harder is that the GOP who are trying to stop it and call it a mockery are implicated.  In the days of Watergate, the GOP came to be part of the fight against their own leader's corruption.  Aside from a few individuals, that largely hasn't been the case with the GOP.  I think there are a lot of GOP individuals who feel that way and are either quiet or have left the part (I know some of them).

This isn't even about pegging who is at fault, though there will be some of that.  It's really about none of us wanting a mob storming our most sacred buildings to overthrow the government so easily, regardless of their intentions or party affiliation.  And the fact that this occurred pretty simply means you need to find out the details.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray