Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:20:20 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  2020 Olympics
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: 2020 Olympics  (Read 3365 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: August 09, 2021, 03:37:03 pm »

I watched more Olympics this time around than I have in a while.  I had some trouble accessing what I wanted, but overall, I've enjoyed it.

I don't really like that Olympics is like this 4 hour TV block that's sorta undefined.  I'd rather it be specific programs at specific times, like watching other kinds of sports.  I wanted to watch skateboarding and it wasn't immediately apparent when or what channel it would be on.  It's also harder because sometimes the stuff already happened, so looking online for the answers just spoils the result.

I drink your milkshake!
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 07:28:16 pm »

I watched more Olympics this time around than I have in a while.  I had some trouble accessing what I wanted, but overall, I've enjoyed it.

I don't really like that Olympics is like this 4 hour TV block that's sorta undefined.  I'd rather it be specific programs at specific times, like watching other kinds of sports.  I wanted to watch skateboarding and it wasn't immediately apparent when or what channel it would be on.  It's also harder because sometimes the stuff already happened, so looking online for the answers just spoils the result.
You seem to be in the minority. The ratings are down significantly and hit new lows. This was to be expected with the inclusion of politics, social opinions, and political agendas. It will only get worse until the companies realize that they're selling a product and not a social justice experiment.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2021, 07:34:15 pm »

You seem to be in the minority. The ratings are down significantly and hit new lows. This was to be expected with the inclusion of politics, social opinions, and political agendas. It will only get worse until the companies realize that they're selling a product and not a social justice experiment.

I am sure I'm in the minority, but I think your reasons are likely incorrect about why numbers are down.  The Olympics has always been about politics, going back to forever.

It's because people aren't watching TV anymore.  Kids watch YouTube and Twitch.  My kids literally don't even know how to turn on regular TV.  It's just a dying format.  This is same for all network live TV.  All these sports, awards shows, parades -- it's not political.

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2021, 08:01:25 am »

I watched a lot of the Olympics this year, and really enjoyed it.  I didn't pay attention to who won online, and we'd have a TV in the office replaying stuff from the night before, or I'd just watch it at night with my wife.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2021, 08:44:17 am »

This might be the least I have ever watched the Olympics in my life. I can't really say why, but the Olympic interest just wasn't there for me this year.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2021, 10:07:21 am »

For me, the Olympics peaked with the Miracle On Ice and there was nowhere to go but down from there.    Cheesy
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2021, 11:20:40 am »

There are a few things in recent memory:

- The opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympics was pretty incredible.  It's just old-school to throw tens of thousands of people at something in a display of force.  Also, all that swimming stuff and the specially built cube.  ...all that was cool.

- I don't remember even which Olympics it was, but one dude lit the torch with a flaming arrow and it remains one of the baddest-ass things I've ever seen.

- This year, this performance was really humorous, informative, creative and strangely uniquely Japanese: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ9OyYA-bAM

I drink your milkshake!
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2021, 11:28:01 am »

I just know about the horse that made the lady cry when he wouldn't jump for her and basically ruined her dreams.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2021, 11:42:36 am »

I just know about the horse that made the lady cry when he wouldn't jump for her and basically ruined her dreams.

This is, I'm sure, a shitty joke that's been said over and over, and I'm jesting, but only kinda, but "shouldn't the horse get the medal"?

Those are some of the few events that I just legitimately do not understand how it's a thing in the Olympics.

I drink your milkshake!
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2021, 12:34:53 pm »

This is, I'm sure, a shitty joke that's been said over and over, and I'm jesting, but only kinda, but "shouldn't the horse get the medal"?

Those are some of the few events that I just legitimately do not understand how it's a thing in the Olympics.

It shouldn't be. Everything about the Olympics is up to the individual, except this event. The Horse literally crushed her Olympic dreams just by being stubborn, it just boggles my mind. I got some great memes out of it but that's still devastating to the person.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2021, 12:39:33 pm »

If I'm just attempting to be fair and not stubborn, I guess you can say the same thing about some who rides a motorcycle and the machine craps out.  I don't think those are the same, but I'm having trouble logically explaining why.

I drink your milkshake!
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2021, 12:41:05 pm »

I'm not sure that Curling in the Winter Olympics should be considered a sport since it is essentially shuffleboard on ice.  But I do enjoy the Scandanavian Women's Teams bending over to do whatever it is called that they do in Curling. 
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2021, 12:42:46 pm »

Actually it belongs in the Olympics.  The events that don't belong are soccer, tennis and the marathon.  A gold medal should be the pinnacle of the sport.  That is not true for soccer - world cup.  Tennis - Wimbledon, marathon - multiple Boston, New York, London Berlin and many others are more prestigious.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2021, 12:45:48 pm »

Actually it belongs in the Olympics.  The events that don't belong are soccer, tennis and the marathon.  A gold medal should be the pinnacle of the sport.  That is not true for soccer - world cup.  Tennis - Wimbledon, marathon - multiple Boston, New York, London Berlin and many others are more prestigious.
so boxing and basketball too then?
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2021, 12:51:00 pm »

so boxing and basketball too then?

Boxing yes.

Basketball no.  NBA is not an international tournament, it is a national one.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray