Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:50:38 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  What're you Watching 8/12/2021?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What're you Watching 8/12/2021?  (Read 1358 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: August 12, 2021, 11:44:07 am »

I'm watching about one new movie a week that I've never seen before, either that comes out in theaters/streaming that week or sometimes something that is thematically related.

Recently:
The Suicide Squad
The Green Knight
Black Widow
The French Connection
Bad Boys

TV-wise, my wife and I had a convo about what shows we are going to keep watching or drop.  I'm dumping The Witcher and Warrior Nun and Umbrella Academy and The Great.

She is ditching the West Wing, but I'm gonna keep that going and finish it.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE:
Ted Lasso - I can't recommend this show enough.  It's such a beam of positivity.
The Expanse - I got back into this.  Saw season 1 a long time ago but I had an infant and the show was too dense and demanding for my life at the time.  I rewatched all of season one and am into season 2.
Alone - Survival show where people self document living off the land in remote places.  Season 7 is on Netflix.  Survive in the arctic for 100 days, win a million bucks.  It's more documentary than reality TV, but definitely worth watching.
All Creatures Great and Small - About a small town vet in England in the old days.  It's between seasons right now, but I really liked it.

I just picked up What If on Disney....first episode was fine (not much story to add to things yet), but the animation style is very cool.

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 12:11:03 pm »

Movies:  Loved Suicide Squad, Gunn did a great job there.  Black Widow was pretty good, typical Marvel movie.  Yelena and Red Guardian make the movie.  Saw The Hitman's wife's Bodguard, it was entertaining enough I guess.  Just saw Fast 9, it was terrible, it's approaching Sharknado levels of bad.  The Tomorrow War, if you want a mindless action film it's good for that, don't try to make it more than that though.  A Quiet Place 2 was above average, but nowhere near as good as the first one.

Shows:
24 - We watched all the episodes, spin off and movie.  Jack Bauer is the man woooo.  They need to bring him back to wrap things up a little better, I wasn't satisfied with his ending.
Eastbound and Down - My wife never saw it, so I rewatched with her.  This would not get aired today, they say faggot every 5 seconds.  Regardless, it's still pretty damn funny.
Evil - It's good enough.  A lot of scary imagery, and you're left thinking at the end of each episode "is it psychological or are they actually possessed by demons?"
The Shield - We just started watching season one.  It's a lot better than I expected.  I didn't realize Kurt Sutter had a hand in it, it has that Sons of Anarchy kind of style to it, but with cops.

I will be checking out "What if" as I am a former comic book nerd.  That's a shame you're giving up on The Witcher, I really like that one.  Things make sense towards the end of the season.  Umbrella Academy I had to power through, but it also was better towards the end.  I loved West Wing.

We dropped Clarice, All American and Blindspot
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 12:14:12 pm by Tenshot13 » Logged
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2021, 12:47:08 pm »

Into the Badlands
Lucifer
The Outer Banks
All American
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 01:47:39 pm »

The Shield - We just started watching season one.  It's a lot better than I expected.  I didn't realize Kurt Sutter had a hand in it, it has that Sons of Anarchy kind of style to it, but with cops.

I'm super stoked that you're watching the Shield.  It's one of my all-time favorite shows and because it wasn't streamable for the longest time, it dropped off of a lot of radars.

It's the best example I've ever seen of even-storytelling.

There is a pretty significant incident that happens in the first episode.  That story spans an arc of the entire series.
There is a story that spans each individual season, with a great guest star in each.....little mini arcs.
And each episode has a story about a street-dealer or something small.  It's bite sized.

And it didn't overstay its welcome and has a great ending.  Love the Shield.  Enjoy.

I drink your milkshake!
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 10:58:12 am »

I forgot to mention Ru Paul's Drag Race.  I have been a little mad at that show lately, but I'm back at it.

I drink your milkshake!
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2021, 09:44:00 am »

The Shield - We just started watching season one.  It's a lot better than I expected.  I didn't realize Kurt Sutter had a hand in it, it has that Sons of Anarchy kind of style to it, but with cops.

Where are you at with the Shield?  Still digging it?

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2021, 09:53:55 am »

Where are you at with the Shield?  Still digging it?
Yeah it's still good.  Glenn Close just became captain. 
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2021, 07:41:07 am »

Hey Dave, I finished The Shield.  Such a good show, I thought the ending was perfect except for poor Ronnie, I'm assuming he's at the mercy of Antwon Mitchell which isn't good.  Him and Vic where my favorites, I hate to see Ronnie done like that, but it fits with how Vic is and everything.  The whole thing with Walton Goggins was pretty dark, but adds a moving ending for his character in an already dark show.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2021, 09:08:59 am »

How could you not have seen the French Connection up to this point? That's a classic.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2021, 11:06:42 am »

^ It came out a couple of years before I was born, and it's a pretty heavily rated R film, so I'm not sure when I would've seen it.  Plus, it's not like the kind of movie that plays on TV like some of the other classics.

Tenshot, have you seen The Wire?

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2021, 11:30:18 am »

^ It came out a couple of years before I was born, and it's a pretty heavily rated R film, so I'm not sure when I would've seen it.  Plus, it's not like the kind of movie that plays on TV like some of the other classics.

Tenshot, have you seen The Wire?
Yes, The Wire was really good too.  I had to power through until close to the end of season 1, but then I was really hooked for the rest of it.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2021, 12:09:04 pm »

^ It came out a couple of years before I was born, and it's a pretty heavily rated R film, so I'm not sure when I would've seen it.  Plus, it's not like the kind of movie that plays on TV like some of the other classics.
Well I was only 8 when it came out and I've seen it probably half a dozen times on TV. It's not one they have on 10 times a year like they do with some movies now, no. Just figured you being a bit of a movie buff would have seen it as it is considered to be a great movie by many (94 metacritic score, 105 overall) and obviously the best by Hackman which he won an Oscar for.

So what did you think? I do think it has lost some of what made it great when it came out over the years but I think it's still considered to have one of the best car chases ever in it and Hackman was at his best.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 12:20:29 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2021, 12:44:37 pm »

That car/subway chase was really insanely epic.  I had heard that it was the gold standard and it really lived up to it.

I also really liked the gritty feel of NY.  Pretty raw.

The story was pretty gray area.  The cops aren't such good guys.  But they're up against impossible odds.  Also, seeing blatant racism portrayed as no big deal is just strange by today's standards.  But I notice that a lot with these old movies.

I just watched Saturday Night Fever and was pretty horrified at the racism and rape that is casually played down. 

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray