Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:57:30 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Do I not understand the rules?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Do I not understand the rules?  (Read 4296 times)
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« on: September 11, 2021, 01:37:33 am »

This has been over the news https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfOZE7KHdi4    Watch the play.  If anything, isn't that PI on the Cowboys because the defender tries to grab the receiver?  Am I missing something?  Or is this another form of BCS?  Why is there ANY controversy on this?

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 08:40:13 am »

Trying something and doing something are different things. You can't penalize thought, so no penalty against the Cowboys. It also appears to me that it is only happening as he is falling so the question is was he pushed? I don't see the arm extension I need to see to call it a push off. I think it's a good no call.
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 03:21:27 pm »

Still made contact without playing the ball.  This is defensive pass interference

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2021, 04:02:27 pm »

Still made contact without playing the ball.  This is defensive pass interference

To answer your question as posed in the topic, "yes". You do not understand the rules.

And it's odd, but your misunderstandings of the rules always seem to be pro-Patriots and pro-Brady. Not sure why that would be...

(Contact needs to have an *effect* for it to be illegal, otherwise it's just incidental - additionally, the rules look at who *initiated* contact.)
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2021, 04:52:34 pm »

To answer your question as posed in the topic, "yes". You do not understand the rules.

And it's odd, but your misunderstandings of the rules always seem to be pro-Patriots and pro-Brady. Not sure why that would be...

(Contact needs to have an *effect* for it to be illegal, otherwise it's just incidental - additionally, the rules look at who *initiated* contact.)
. You may be right in this case.  However, do you remember Super Bowl 53?  I said the refs missed a pass interference on the Patriots.  The nfl agreed with me.  I analyze objectively

fyo
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2021, 05:25:32 pm »

Right, of course you do.
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2021, 06:53:27 pm »

Hard to say who initiated contact on that one. 

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2021, 06:53:59 pm »

Right, of course you do.
  Any examples of me NOT being objective?

fyo
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2021, 08:54:55 am »

Any examples of me NOT being objective?

When pretty much *all* your examples *ever* feature Brady/Patriots possibly being on the wrong end of a call/no-call, then that is not "being objective" even if each case were evaluated objectively.

When your conclusion in pretty much *all* your examples *ever* is that Brady/Patriots were in fact wronged, then that is not "being objective" even if the conclusion were defensible in each case.

Taking the play you presented this time around, no, there's no way in hell there is DPI. Never. Ever.

There *might* have been OPI, but the video doesn't show it, hence the general support for the no-call. There is only circumstantial evidence of the OPI, in that the defender's body movement makes it *appear* he was pushed.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2021, 11:09:36 am »

If you think that this is PI on the Cowboys, then yes, to answer your original question, you do not understand the rules.

This is arguably PI offensively because the Bucs receiver pushes off to create space, which gives him an unfair advantage to catching the ball.

But it is also arguably a no-call, because the ref's judgment could be that this was simply allowable hand-fighting that didn't create an unfair advantage for the receiver.

The bottom line is this, man.  You're going to have a long, sad life if you're arguing calls and no-calls in slow-motion for all of eternity.  Things like pass interference and holding (and many other judgment calls where contact is allowed but too much contact isn't allowed) are incredibly subjective and can really be called or not called on just about every play.  It's more about the flow of the game, calls overall, rather than one individual case, and the severity of the call.  ...was the receiver likely to catch the ball anyway...that kind of stuff.  It's a macro issue and you can't view every call in a micro lens.

That said, definitely not defensive pass interference in any universe.

I drink your milkshake!
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2021, 09:25:02 pm »

If you think that this is PI on the Cowboys, then yes, to answer your original question, you do not understand the rules.

This is arguably PI offensively because the Bucs receiver pushes off to create space, which gives him an unfair advantage to catching the ball.

But it is also arguably a no-call, because the ref's judgment could be that this was simply allowable hand-fighting that didn't create an unfair advantage for the receiver.

My first argument was that it MAY have been DPI.  My second argument was that there was NO WAY, it could be OPI.  You have presented a reasonable counterargument to each of them.  

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2021, 09:33:47 pm »

The bottom line is this, man.  You're going to have a long, sad life if you're arguing calls and no-calls in slow-motion for all of eternity.  Things like pass interference and holding (and many other judgment calls where contact is allowed but too much contact isn't allowed) are incredibly subjective and can really be called or not called on just about every play.  It's more about the flow of the game, calls overall, rather than one individual case, and the severity of the call.  ...was the receiver likely to catch the ball anyway...that kind of stuff.  It's a macro issue and you can't view every call in a micro lens.
   this is correct,  PI and defensive holding exist on a spectrum.  I have come to understand this as a result of watching football.  Spider pointed this out to an extent in a thread once.  This is why I did not have a problem with the officiating in the NFC title game.  Many fans had an issue with consistency.  However, king's PI at the end was FAR more egregious than either of the ones that fans were upset about Tampa Bay not being penalized for.  It was much further down the spectrum. 

ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2021, 08:08:52 am »

I'm a bit late to the party but I have to say Godwin got away with OPI on that play.   That being said, because Tom Brady was involved, the Bucs will get some calls (or no calls) in their favor.   Kinda like Michael Jordan back in the days.
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2021, 03:04:04 pm »

I'm a bit late to the party but I have to say Godwin got away with OPI on that play.   That being said, because Tom Brady was involved, the Bucs will get some calls (or no calls) in their favor.   Kinda like Michael Jordan back in the days.

What are you basing this on?  Last year's playoffs?   Because you are deluded if you are basing it on his career with new england.

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2021, 03:09:11 pm »

When pretty much *all* your examples *ever* feature Brady/Patriots possibly being on the wrong end of a call/no-call, then that is not "being objective" even if each case were evaluated objectively.

When your conclusion in pretty much *all* your examples *ever* is that Brady/Patriots were in fact wronged, then that is not "being objective" even if the conclusion were defensible in each case

Shall I cite other examples?  In the 2019 game against the chiefs I agreed with the no call on the pass interference in the end. Even though the contact is possibly pass interference, the ball is behind the receiver and he couldn't have reached through the defender to catch it

Also, your two paragraphs are self-contradictory. If I evaluate each case objectively, then I am being objective.  If I reach a defensible conclusion in each case, then I am being objective.

Finally, whereas I cite as examples, cite understandings of how rules are interpreted, back up my claims with similar plays, point out how some penalties are called based on a spectrum, and point out how bad calls affect the game based on how they are called, most people on this board will just spout bullshit rhetoric about me being a patriots fan, say "oh it happened so and so years ago, no point in discussing it," even though it is relevant to the claim that Brady has always gotten calls throughout the years. 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 03:19:15 pm by dolphins4life » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray