Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:11:10 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Tua not setting up receivers for YAC
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Tua not setting up receivers for YAC  (Read 3661 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2021, 03:00:52 pm »

If he had the protection from the OL that Mac had, how would that affected his performance? He needs some protection. In my opinion, the reason he looks lost in the pocket is because he's having to focus on not getting hammered by the defense. I'm not sure why we can't fix the OL after all these years. Once a new QB gets shell shocked it's hard to reverse the effects with the same team, he'll always be looking over his shoulder.
No matter how good your offensive line is your QB needs to make some plays sometimes and I'm not sure that I see Tua doing that. The offensive line wasn't as bad as people are making them out to be and they will get better, I'm not that worried about that. I am worried that Tua is not the guy.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2021, 06:01:52 pm »

The fact that he's small, not particularly great at moving around in the pocket and not particularly athletic lead me to believe his chances of getting hurt are in fact pretty high so that worries me as well.
Yeah, that's what I thought. Got a feeling you are going to see quite a bit of this during his career.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2021, 08:57:33 pm »

So far, Joe Burrow has been out with injury more than Tua has.

The offensive line wasn't as bad as people are making them out to be and they will get better, I'm not that worried about that.
How did you feel about the OL when Brissett was in?

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2021, 12:12:58 am »

So far, Joe Burrow has been out with injury more than Tua has.
That's not saying much. Burrow has more pass attempts than Tua right now. Not really sure which one has had more snaps total. You can't be hurt playing QB if you're not playing.

How did you feel about the OL when Brissett was in?
I felt the same way about the OL when Brissett was in as when Tua was in, however I was less worried that Brissett would get hurt because he's bigger.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 12:20:03 am by Pappy13 » Logged

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2021, 12:10:57 pm »

The offensive line wasn't as bad as people are making them out to be and they will get better, I'm not that worried about that.

The line play is terrible and worse than anyone is even saying.  They're non-competitive and no team an win behind the line that played against the Bills on Sunday.  Maybe there was a matchup problem, but Tua had nothing to do with any of that.  I think he was only in the game for 6 snaps and he got hammered without any protection on 3 of the 6 plays.

I drink your milkshake!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2021, 01:17:07 pm »

The line play is terrible and worse than anyone is even saying.  They're non-competitive and no team an win behind the line that played against the Bills on Sunday.  Maybe there was a matchup problem, but Tua had nothing to do with any of that.  I think he was only in the game for 6 snaps and he got hammered without any protection on 3 of the 6 plays.
First off that quote was from the 1st game, not the Bills game.

Secondly, I'm having a hard time seeing the plays from this past weekend on Gamepass (keeps resetting) so have not really been able to see any of the game, but Tua was sacked twice in 6 drop backs (and was injured on another if I'm not mistaken) whereas Brissett was only sacked 4 times in 44 drop backs. That's a pretty big disparity, so I'm not 100% sure that Tua didn't have anything to do with any of it. Protection checks are with the QB, he has to make sure that everyone is blocked or change the protection and on at least one of those sacks I thought Tua should have realized that a blitzer was going to be coming in untouched and changed the protection or gotten rid of the ball or something. I could be wrong, I'm no expert, but I think just blaming it all on the OL might be a bit of a fallacy.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 03:00:14 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2021, 01:25:27 pm »

Secondly, I'm having a hard time seeing the plays from this past weekend on Gamepass (keeps resetting) so have not really been able to see any of the game, but Tua was sacked twice in 4 drop backs (and was injured on another if I'm not mistaken) whereas Brissett was only sacked 4 times in 40 attempts. That's a pretty big disparity, so I'm not 100% sure that Tua didn't have anything to do with any of it. Protection checks are with the QB, he has to make sure that everyone is blocked or change the protection and on at least one of those sacks I thought Tua should have realized that a blitzer was going to be coming in untouched and changed the protection or gotten rid of the ball or something. I could be wrong, I'm no expert, but I think just blaming it all on the OL might be a bit of a fallacy.

This is a valid point, it is up to the QB to recognize where a blitzer may be coming from and point it out to the lineman and RB.  A couple sacks the RB's stepped up to help block in the center of the line, while blitzers came from the outside completely untouched. Whose fault this was will be determine by the team when they watch the film.  I will say watching the game the O-line was much worse at the start of the game versus post 1st quarter, and that was not Tua's fault.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2021, 04:36:18 pm »

Fair enough.

Secondly, I'm having a hard time seeing the plays from this past weekend on Gamepass (keeps resetting) so have not really been able to see any of the game, but Tua was sacked twice in 6 drop backs (and was injured on another if I'm not mistaken) whereas Brissett was only sacked 4 times in 44 drop backs. That's a pretty big disparity, so I'm not 100% sure that Tua didn't have anything to do with any of it. Protection checks are with the QB, he has to make sure that everyone is blocked or change the protection and on at least one of those sacks I thought Tua should have realized that a blitzer was going to be coming in untouched and changed the protection or gotten rid of the ball or something. I could be wrong, I'm no expert, but I think just blaming it all on the OL might be a bit of a fallacy.

It's on the O-line.  Guys were coming in unchecked all afternoon.  On the Tua plays, he was just getting blown up immediately.  It's such a small sample set, but there were also hurries all game.  We couldn't create any pass protection at all, with or without Tua.

I drink your milkshake!
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2021, 04:56:10 pm »

Fair enough.

It's on the O-line.  Guys were coming in unchecked all afternoon.  On the Tua plays, he was just getting blown up immediately.  It's such a small sample set, but there were also hurries all game.  We couldn't create any pass protection at all, with or without Tua.

I didn't watch the game but how many shotgun formations did we have? I hope we didn't do 5 step dropbacks all game despite having 1 second to throw the ball.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2021, 01:14:51 pm »

I didn't watch the game but how many shotgun formations did we have? I hope we didn't do 5 step dropbacks all game despite having 1 second to throw the ball.
I don't know how many shotgun formations there were but I finally got Gamepass working for a bit and watched as much of the game as I could stomach and the pass protection by the offensive line wasn't nearly as bad as it has been made out to be. On the play that Tua got hurt the RT did completely whiff on his man and was instantly beat and that one play was horrible. On many other plays there was time to get a pass off but for a variety of reasons it didn't happen. On one of Tua's sacks as has been mentioned here the RB that stayed in to block inexplicably helped in the middle of the line (when there was no need) when there was a free blitzer on the outside that sacked Tua. If the RB picks up the blitzer like he should have, there would have been plenty of time for Tua to get the pass off, but it didn't happen. Who's fault that is, I can't really tell you for sure but in my opinion that was not the offensive line's fault. There are other examples as well. You can't make a blanket statement that that all the issues are on the offensive line, there were a variety of missed assignments and just poor play to go around. Even on the play that Tua was hurt, Gesicki actually was lined up next to the RT that whiffed on his man, but he never attempted to block that player. Was the RT expecting Gesicki to maybe chip the guy and didn't which is maybe why he completely whiffed? I don't know, I'm not sure of Gesicki's assignment nor what the RT was thinking, but those are the types of questions that will have to be answered when they watch the game tape. Maybe it was a mental error rather than a physical error which is easier to correct in my opinion.

I'd also like to point out that Buffalo's offensive line also let free blitzers into the backfield from time to time, for example on Buffalo's 2nd TD, one of the Dolphins had a free shot at Allen but left his feet as Allen appeared to be throwing the football and then Allen pulled it down and ran right around the free rusher and eventually found a WR open in the end zone. That play was COMPLETELY on Josh Allen. Miami absolutely SHOULD have sacked Allen but didn't and it was because of Allen and no one else that they didn't. That's the kind of play that you see Josh Allen make quite a bit and the type of play that I'd like to see from my QB from time to time and something you don't see enough of from Tua. So again you can put all the blame on the offensive line if you want, I feel like I'm being a little more objective and looking at all 11 players on the offense and NOT just Tua and NOT just the offensive line when I'm looking at game film.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 02:51:15 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2021, 02:22:29 pm »

Well, Tua didn't receive any MVP votes last year as a rookie, so it makes sense that 4th-year-veteran Josh Allen would be making better plays.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2021, 03:03:28 pm »

Well, Tua didn't receive any MVP votes last year as a rookie, so it makes sense that 4th-year-veteran Josh Allen would be making better plays.
And that seems to be the difference between me and a lot of other people that wanted Miami to draft Tua. To me, people are making a lot of excuses for Tua, I'm not going to do that. That may sound harsh, but that's the way I am with most players, sink or swim.

Now if you've been around here long enough you know that I did make some excuses for Ryan Tannehill but his situation was completely different from Tua's in my humble opinion. Ryan was not touted as some great QB at the time that Miami drafted him, he was a very young, raw QB that didn't have an exceptional college career in fact he didn't even start out as a QB he was a WR because they had a couple better QB's on the team. He was probably drafted too high, no question about it, but Miami needed a QB and they reached a bit for him. Miami didn't need to do that with Tua. In my opinion Tua was expected to come out and be a good to great QB once he was healthy. Surely by year 2 he would be. I haven't seen it. He's no better than Ryan Tannehill was in his 2nd year in the league in my humble opinion. That was fine for Ryan Tannehill, I was prepared to give him time to mature and become better, it's a different story with Tua. Maybe that is unfair to Tua, but that's how I feel about it. I expected him to be much further along by now than what he has shown to me lately.

Oh and by the way, Jacoby Brisset did the exact same thing to a free blitzer later in the game and ran the ball and got positive yardage on the play. So it's not just Josh Allen that can make those types of plays and I'm not saying that Tua can't or that he should have on the play that he was hurt, I'm just saying that sometimes the difference between a bad play and good play is on the QB alone and that's the difference between an average QB and great one.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 03:23:27 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2021, 04:45:58 pm »

In my opinion Tua was expected to come out and be a good to great QB once he was healthy. Surely by year 2 he would be. I haven't seen it.
Hey, remember when EKnight said at halftime of week 1 in Tannehill's rookie year that Tannehill was a bust?
This take is equally bad.

You expect "by year 2" Tua would be "good to great," and after 5 quarters of play you're ready to declare an outcome?

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2021, 06:08:25 pm »

Hey, remember when EKnight said at halftime of week 1 in Tannehill's rookie year that Tannehill was a bust?
This take is equally bad.

You expect "by year 2" Tua would be "good to great," and after 5 quarters of play you're ready to declare an outcome?
I'm not judging him on 5 quarters I'm judging him on 12 games and yes I'm ready to declare that based on those 12 games I don't think he's going to be good to great for his NFL career.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 06:11:02 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2021, 03:55:01 am »

You just said "by year 2" Tua should have been "good to great."

Week 3 has yet to take place and you have already declared your conclusion.
There are still 15 games remaining in "year 2," but apparently you don't need to see them!  (Which raises the question of why you even mentioned "year 2" in the first place, when your mind was clearly already made up.)

Garbage take, man.  If you're trying to look for additional validation on your opinion of the 2020 draft, this isn't the way to get it.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 03:58:31 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray