Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:02:14 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  This is getting out of hand
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: This is getting out of hand  (Read 2537 times)
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« on: September 16, 2021, 08:35:58 pm »

Another ridiculous roughing the passer tonight.  Somebody needs to do something about this.  It is ruining the game.   

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 08:19:41 am »

I agree.  You never call roughing the passer on a sack.   That's basically rewarding the offense for missing their blocks.   Players need to start going after officials who make calls like that.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 08:25:22 am »

The roughing the passer call last night was pretty bad.  It wasn't that Young hit Jones late, it was that he "drove him into the ground"...the ref expert they had to analyze the call last night said Young should have twisted his body on the way down as to not land on top of Jones.  I understand player safety and all, but come on you can't let them play like a bunch of pussies either.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 09:21:28 am »

The roughing the passer call last night was pretty bad.  It wasn't that Young hit Jones late, it was that he "drove him into the ground"...the ref expert they had to analyze the call last night said Young should have twisted his body on the way down as to not land on top of Jones.  I understand player safety and all, but come on you can't let them play like a bunch of pussies either.
Didn't we have someone who got hurt trying to do that as they sacked a qb a couple of year ago?

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 09:47:35 am »

Didn't we have someone who got hurt trying to do that as they sacked a qb a couple of year ago?
Yeah wasn't it Robert Quinn?
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 09:50:54 am »

For the majority of people, offense is more exciting than defense so the league makes it so it's easier to score lots of points. Every league does this, especially the NBA where the average score now is roughly 20 points higher per team than in the 90s.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2021, 10:07:00 am »

For the majority of people, offense is more exciting than defense so the league makes it so it's easier to score lots of points. Every league does this, especially the NBA where the average score now is roughly 20 points higher per team than in the 90s.

And that right there is the problem.   People say the Patriots/Rams Super Bowl was boring and put people to sleep.   A football game doesn't have to be a 41-38 affair to have value to me.   A 13-10 contest where teams are scrapping for yards and first downs is good football to yours truly.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2021, 10:30:10 am »

And that right there is the problem.   People say the Patriots/Rams Super Bowl was boring and put people to sleep.   A football game doesn't have to be a 41-38 affair to have value to me.   A 13-10 contest where teams are scrapping for yards and first downs is good football to yours truly.

To me, football can never be boring because any play can lead to a TD. In the NBA, you have like a hundred baskets so you don't need to stay glued to it but blink and you can miss somehting in football, so low scoring affairs don't matter to me either.
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2021, 12:00:38 pm »

I thought it was j sitton

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2021, 02:46:05 pm »

I thought it was j sitton
Turns out it was William Hayes.

The Miami Dolphins lost defensive end William Hayes for the season with a torn ACL, coach Adam Gase said Monday.

Hayes injured his knee on a sack of Raiders quarterback Derek Carr. Gase said Hayes injured himself while trying to avoid putting his body weight on Carr.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2021, 03:21:06 pm »

I ultimately agree with D4L...and moreso Artie.

I am fully behind protecting QBs from injury.   But I don't like when that comes at the cost of good play.  I think that refs need more leeway to distinguish egregious hits from unavoidable contact.

We need to look at this call more like pass interference.  Sometimes, you have allowable hand-fighting that you just let slide.  I think we need this for a few rules: hits to the helmet, helmet to helmet, hitting a sliding QB and below the knees hits, specifically.  You shouldn't TRY to do any of these, but when you're chasing a man who is running and ducking from you, while simultaneously being pushed around, some of this is unavoidable.  If you carelessly are swinging your arms and you hit a guy in the temple, that's gotta be different than putting your arms up to defend against a throw that ends up hitting a guy's helmet.

Hitting a QB on the ground has to be different than hitting a QB that's running towards you and decides to slide at the first down marker.

Diving at a guy's legs to make the tackle has to be different than grabbing a guy who stayed in the pocket while you are getting pulled down by the opposition.

And spearing a guy in the head is different that a helmet to helmet hit where the QB is ducking to avoid you.

There just needs to be judgment or else you're penalizing the team that made the good athletic play, which is happening too often.

I drink your milkshake!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2021, 04:40:15 pm »

There's only 2 ways to fix this issue:

1) Hang 2 flags from the QB's waist and if you grab one of them he's down at that point no matter what is happening.

2) Stop with all the nonsense and let the QB's be football players like the other 21 players on the field.

By the way, yes I do blame Tom Brady for this. All of it.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2021, 06:05:51 pm »

I agree.  You never call roughing the passer on a sack.   That's basically rewarding the offense for missing their blocks.   Players need to start going after officials who make calls like that.

First, it wasn't a sack. Second saying to never make a call during a sack is one of those rediculous absolutes that just isn't accurate. Third, promoting players attacking officials is a Tommyism and that's all that needs to be said.

This was a terrible call though.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 06:08:40 pm by Phishfan » Logged
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2021, 06:35:34 pm »

First, it wasn't a sack. Second saying to never make a call during a sack is one of those rediculous absolutes that just isn't accurate. Third, promoting players attacking officials is a Tommyism and that's all that needs to be said.

This was a terrible call though.

First Sentence:  Correct
Second Sentence:  Correct
Third Sentence:  Correct
Fourth Sentence:  And Correct Again
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2021, 06:53:02 pm »

Maybe instead the defensive payers should protest outside the commissioner office?  Or maybe we as fans can hold up signs in protest

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray