Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:22:59 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  This Is A Waiting Period
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: This Is A Waiting Period  (Read 5195 times)
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2021, 03:02:54 pm »

Oakland (twice), Baltimore, St. Louis (twice), Houston, Cleveland, and San Diego all failed to riot when their football teams were taken away.  And all those cities have fewer remaining sports teams than LA did when it lost the Rams and Raiders in 1995.

Cleveland fans rioted at the last game and tore up the old Cleveland Municipal stadium.   They didn't, however, riot the city.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2021, 05:34:02 pm »

Huizenga was a good owner.    

Ross is a complete buffoon who has caused this franchise one public embarrassment after another.

I disagree with Huizenga being a good owner - there were a lot of things he did I didn't like, and for me our downward trajectory began right after he got rid of Shula to the point where he sold out to Ross... I think I even said a while ago he should be a possible candidate for the Ring of Dishonor.

That said, Ross is in another league altogether - the word clueless immediately comes to mind. I am genuinely unsure if we would be better or worse off if he was more hands on, rather than just signing the cheques and employing incompetent minions?
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2021, 05:59:30 pm »

I disagree with Huizenga being a good owner - there were a lot of things he did I didn't like, and for me our downward trajectory began right after he got rid of Shula to the point where he sold out to Ross.

^^^^ THIS

Also, renaming Joe Robbie Stadium.  #BadKarma

I'd rather be lucky than good.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2021, 02:13:19 am »

Every city you just mentioned is a shithole except for San Diego, and they're laid back due to the weather  Grin
So you don't think LA is a shithole?  Cheesy

ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2021, 07:24:16 am »

Every city you just mentioned is a shithole except for San Diego, and they're laid back due to the weather  Grin

I wouldn't call Houston a shithole. 
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2021, 11:51:44 am »

We have a lot of young players whose development is being screwed up due to bad coaching. Why wait the whole year to do the inevitable? We're not turning this around, we just ended a team's 20 game losing streak. 3-14 is seriously on the table so fire some or most of the coaches now and try to build some momentum into 2022.

Jackson and Kindley get worse in their 2nd year? That's not supposed to happen for O-Line guys. Better coaching can fix this, although with the O-Line they seemed destined to suck forever.
If you're going to fire someone start with Josh Boyer. The defense is the major difference from last year to this year, not the offense. Bring in someone who can get the defense back on track. Forget about making the playoffs this year and forget about the record as well, just start playing good football again.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 11:57:05 am by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2021, 03:15:19 am »

If you're going to fire someone start with Josh Boyer. The defense is the major difference from last year to this year, not the offense. Bring in someone who can get the defense back on track. Forget about making the playoffs this year and forget about the record as well, just start playing good football again.

How much of the defensive slump has to do with personnel changes though? We traded/cut Lawson, Van Noy and McCain in the offseason - two of those were defensive leaders last year, which is where you have to ask who has filled this leadership void?

Injuries to key players like Jones and Howard haven't helped either.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2021, 12:04:52 pm »

How much of the defensive slump has to do with personnel changes though?
Good question, but who's decision was it to make those roster moves? You think Josh Boyer didn't have a say in it? I'm sure his was at least a minority vote if not the majority vote.

And yes injuries have certainly contributed, but that's part of the gig. You have to make sure that backups are ready to step forward, that's your job as the coach, not to just get the starters to play well, but to get the entire team to play well.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2021, 05:03:13 pm »

Now 1-7 and 99% eliminated from the playoffs. We face the Texans next week, who are also terrible. Tomorrow is the last chance to salvage some development for young players and fire some coaches. That's all that we have left, not ruining young players with ineptitude.

I'm not holding my breath but I will light a candle and say a prayer for it tomorrow.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2021, 09:00:46 am »

Now 1-7 and 99% eliminated from the playoffs. We face the Texans next week, who are also terrible. Tomorrow is the last chance to salvage some development for young players and fire some coaches. That's all that we have left, not ruining young players with ineptitude.

I'm not holding my breath but I will light a candle and say a prayer for it tomorrow.

Yeah, that didn't happen. Texans on Sunday and then a Thursday night game against Baltimore. I guess 1-9 and a long week would be a good time to get a new coach but I find any changes during the year strongly unlikely now. If it didn't happen by now, it's not going to.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2021, 09:05:44 am »

Yeah, that didn't happen. Texans on Sunday and then a Thursday night game against Baltimore. I guess 1-9 and a long week would be a good time to get a new coach but I find any changes during the year strongly unlikely now. If it didn't happen by now, it's not going to.

The Dolphins waited until they were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs in 2011 before giving Sparano the boot.   Todd Bowles came on and proceeded to go 2-1 and actually had a good lead at one point in the one game he lost.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2021, 09:39:22 am »

The Dolphins waited until they were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs in 2011 before giving Sparano the boot.   Todd Bowles came on and proceeded to go 2-1 and actually had a good lead at one point in the one game he lost.

We are 99.9% eliminated right now because even if we win out that's just 10-7, which is the 2021 version of 9-7.

For once, I want the new coach to have experience as a head coach. How many times in a row have we given a coordinator their first HC gig? I don't want a retread failure like Jeff Fisher but with such a young team, we could use some experience with experienced coordinators.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2021, 10:23:10 am »

My opinion on this probably won't be very popular here.  But the problem I see with mid season coach firings is that there isn't like there are a bunch of amazing coaches sitting out there on the unemployment line mid season waiting to be signed.  Just like there aren't superstar players unemployed at mid season.  So firing an HC mid season ends up being just firing someone for the sake of firing someone (optics) because whoever you sign to be the interim coach, very likely won't be held over to the next season.  There has been so many different coordinators and systems for the Dolphins that I truly think it has stunted the growth of a lot of young players.  So it would be doing them a further disservice to bring in an interim coach, learn whatever new things he wants to do and then have to learn new things all over again before the start of next season.  Mid season firings usually only accomplish one thing which is to appease the bloodthirsty fanbase who are wanting heads to roll because the team sucks. 
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2021, 10:42:13 am »

Todd Bowles came on and proceeded to go 2-1 and actually had a good lead at one point in the one game he lost.

I was on Team Bowles to be the coach after this.  Unfortunately they went a different direciton.  Great Def coord with TB.

I'd rather be lucky than good.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2021, 11:17:35 am »

My opinion on this probably won't be very popular here.  But the problem I see with mid season coach firings is that there isn't like there are a bunch of amazing coaches sitting out there on the unemployment line mid season waiting to be signed.  Just like there aren't superstar players unemployed at mid season.  So firing an HC mid season ends up being just firing someone for the sake of firing someone (optics) because whoever you sign to be the interim coach, very likely won't be held over to the next season.  There has been so many different coordinators and systems for the Dolphins that I truly think it has stunted the growth of a lot of young players.  So it would be doing them a further disservice to bring in an interim coach, learn whatever new things he wants to do and then have to learn new things all over again before the start of next season.  Mid season firings usually only accomplish one thing which is to appease the bloodthirsty fanbase who are wanting heads to roll because the team sucks. 

There's some valid arguments here. You don't want a clearly unqualified coach to come in during Week 15, go 3-0 and get signed to a new deal just because he was a change of pace from the fired guy.

That being said, I'm most concerned about the loss of development. We are a young team and young players need guidance, especially QB's. If your current staff is failing at that, they gotta go. Austin Jackson was drafted as a bit of a project. I don't regret that draft pick since we needed O-Line help and he was the last one left due to misfortune. He was okay last year for a project, why is he so terrible this season? That doesn't make sense, O-Linemen don't drop off a cliff in Year 2, that's insane. I believe the problem is coaching and I don't want to lose a 1st rounder due to bad coaching. Get them out now and try to salvage what you can. Hell, while Noah was definitely not worth of being drafted in the 1st round, he is still incredibly talented. Why is he always a healthy scratch in year 2? No one is developing the guy.

The team has given up, plain and simple. This is not a 1-7 team and I think everyone agrees. Maybe not as good as we thought but not worst team in the league, we all know this. That's why the coaches have to go now before every player is tainted.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray