Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:18:09 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Jon Gruden resigns as Raiders coach after leaked emails
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Jon Gruden resigns as Raiders coach after leaked emails  (Read 6874 times)
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2021, 10:19:48 am »

Not everyone.  Back in the early 90s, during new hire orientation the HR manager advised us not to put anything in an email you would not want forwarded to the entire company.  I have followed that advice.  I have made comments orally that if recorded could have gotten me in trouble, but my written communication is perfectly clean.  You would be wise to adopt a similar approach.

Keep in mind this wasn't an email between friends on a private email account, these were on a work owned email account.

That's what I said.   I've said some fucked up shit when I was younger but I would never put it in an email or on social media. 

Wonder how many fans up in Jacksonville are searching through old Urban Meyers' emails right about now...

Lips Sealed

Some of us might be wise to go through Flores and Grier's emails  Grin
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 10:21:24 am by ArtieChokePhin » Logged
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2021, 10:30:13 am »

My opinions on homosexuality have certainly changed over time.  Thirty years ago I opposed homosexual marriage and viewed homosexuality as a mental disorder.  I now view homosexuality as an equal but just as valid personal choice.  And there was no profound event, just a slow realization that my earlier opinion was wrong. A person who hold all the same views at 50 as he held at 20 has wasted 30 years.

A 20 year old mind isn't the same as a 55 year old mind.

I'm all for change and it's great that you've come around and grown.  I agree with all of that.  And it's not just the view you hold, but it's how you exhibit that view.  If you ridicule and harm others, that matters.

If Gruden was just privately against gay marriage, nobody would give a crap.  This was ridiculing from a position of power.

I drink your milkshake!
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2021, 10:38:10 am »

Another interesting thing is his contract. There is no way he is walking away from $60 Million by resigning, so he probably worked out a buyout with the Raiders under the premise that he was going to be fired for this anyway and that would lead to a long legal battle. I wonder if this ever comes to light.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2021, 10:41:10 am »

My opinions on homosexuality have certainly changed over time.  Thirty years ago I opposed homosexual marriage and viewed homosexuality as a mental disorder.  I now view homosexuality as an equal but just as valid personal choice.  And there was no profound event, just a slow realization that my earlier opinion was wrong. A person who hold all the same views at 50 as he held at 20 has wasted 30 years.
It's one thing to view homosexuality as a mental disorder, it's something else completely to make a homophobic slur about someone you don't like. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

I would also like to point out that I haven't actually seen the e-mails that Gruden has sent only read what others have said the e-mails contained so I may be uninformed on what was actually said and about whom. I may be mischaracterizing what he said.

I'd also like to point out that Gruden was nearing 50 when these e-mails were sent, I doubt his thinking has changed much in the last 10 years.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 10:49:19 am by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2021, 10:54:44 am »

My opinions on homosexuality have certainly changed over time.  Thirty years ago I opposed homosexual marriage and viewed homosexuality as a mental disorder.  I now view homosexuality as an equal but just as valid personal choice.  And there was no profound event, just a slow realization that my earlier opinion was wrong. A person who hold all the same views at 50 as he held at 20 has wasted 30 years.

Just to clarify, homosexuality as a personal choice is not how that works. It's a choice in the same way that some people prefer Chocolate and others prefer Vanilla. There's a combination of genetic factors and environmental pressures that allow for people to develop preferences over the formative period in their lives. That's why it's called a sexual preference and not a sexual choice. For people it isn't a choice just like you can't force someone to like or dislike a specific food. You can choose to taste or not taste but you can't choose to like or not like.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2021, 11:29:14 am »

I'd also like to point out that Gruden was nearing 50 when these e-mails were sent, I doubt his thinking has changed much in the last 10 years.

I think the gay emails were from only 3 years ago (but I may be corrected on this).  This is pattern behavior.  Not isolated.

I drink your milkshake!
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2021, 11:47:54 am »

I think the gay emails were from only 3 years ago (but I may be corrected on this).  This is pattern behavior.  Not isolated.
I don't really care either way. Never really liked Gruden but his personal views are his business. Not sure why it's such a big deal, he resigned so it's all a moot point. I'd be interested to see the actual emails.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2021, 12:29:06 pm »

A 20 year old mind isn't the same as a 55 year old mind.

I'm all for change and it's great that you've come around and grown.  I agree with all of that.  And it's not just the view you hold, but it's how you exhibit that view.  If you ridicule and harm others, that matters.

If Gruden was just privately against gay marriage, nobody would give a crap.  This was ridiculing from a position of power.

Many of the comments I made about homosexuals 30 years ago I now consider inappropriate slurs now.  None of them in emails, however.  Many of the jokes I made 20 years ago were without question Islamicphobic.   

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2021, 01:04:57 pm »

When will people learn to stop saying terrible shit/committing crimes in an email? Texting too.

Exactly.  It has become pretty common now for the news to be full of people throwing their careers by putting stupid things in email/text/social media, etc.  You would think that people would have learned by now from seeing what happens to others.   We are all guilty of at one time or another having thoughts that would get us in trouble.  And I don't mean trouble in the form of pissing people off.  But trouble in the form of losing your job.  However, it is one thing to have those thoughts in your head as opposed to memorializing them in formats that will follow you for the rest of your life.   
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2021, 02:22:17 pm »

Exactly.  It has become pretty common now for the news to be full of people throwing their careers by putting stupid things in email/text/social media, etc.  You would think that people would have learned by now from seeing what happens to others.   We are all guilty of at one time or another having thoughts that would get us in trouble.  And I don't mean trouble in the form of pissing people off.  But trouble in the form of losing your job.  However, it is one thing to have those thoughts in your head as opposed to memorializing them in formats that will follow you for the rest of your life.  

What is even more amazing is what was captured on audio of a person bragging about committing sexual assault was not prohibitive for being prez.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 02:25:04 pm by MyGodWearsAHoodie » Logged

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2021, 02:51:32 pm »

What is even more amazing is what was captured on audio of a person bragging about committing sexual assault was not prohibitive for being prez.
LOL ... Poor guy. Trump is still living rent free in your head.

At first I was thinking this was much to do about nothing but the more that comes out it really does paint him in a pretty bad light. I don't think it's as big as deal as those like Randy Moss literally crying about it on tv but he did need to step down or be released. Hard to lead when you've pretty much upset everyone.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2021, 02:55:24 pm »

LOL ... Poor guy. Trump is still living rent free in your head.

At first I was thinking this was much to do about nothing but the more that comes out it really does paint him in a pretty bad light. I don't think it's as big as deal as those like Randy Moss literally crying about it on tv but he did need to step down or be released. Hard to lead when you've pretty much upset everyone.

Yeah, grown men crying over words is ridiculous but I understand Gruden stepping down or being fired. It's just different when you're in a position of leadership as opposed to being a player. I am still very interested in his contract situation though, no way he walked away from $60 Million to "not be a distraction". Even Davis saying "resign or we'll fire you" would've been met with a "Fuck you, pay me" from Jon so something had to have been worked out. Or, he had some REALLY horrible stuff come to light and they are holding it back if he steps down.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2021, 02:57:30 pm »

Or, he had some REALLY horrible stuff come to light and they are holding it back if he steps down.
This is what I'm wondering. If this is true it will come to light. Few secrets stay secret in the public eye.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2021, 03:20:58 pm »

Hard to lead when you've pretty much upset everyone.

This sentence pretty much sums up everything and closes the case.

I drink your milkshake!
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2021, 06:13:40 pm »

This is what I'm wondering. If this is true it will come to light. Few secrets stay secret in the public eye.

Looks like some really horrible stuff is about to come to light but not necessarily involving Gruden.  There was a huge investigation in regards to a toxic and abusive work environment for Washington and some of the leaked emails were from Gruden.  Now there will be a legal battle to leak the rest of them and who knows what will turn up.  All I can say is strap on your seat belts because it's gonna be a bumpy ride

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32389529/nflpa-petition-nfl-release-all-emails-washington-football-team-investigation
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 10:43:33 pm by ArtieChokePhin » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray