Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:59:23 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  AP: MLB Work Stoppage Very Likely
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: AP: MLB Work Stoppage Very Likely  (Read 5467 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« on: October 25, 2021, 12:10:38 pm »

December 2nd is when there will be a work stoppage and screw up free agency. Lots of issues to work out so this may delay the season or worse.

I am almost entirely on the players side of this as I am in all sports, but there is an easy compromise to be made in terms of free agency. Almost all of these massive free agent deals that go over 7 years end in disaster for various reasons. They should adopt the NBA model and have max contracts for shorter terms. That way, the player still gets paid but the team doesn't have to worry about a 38 year old making $35 Million and hitting .219 a year. This will also even the playing field somewhat between the Dodgers and Marlins. If all a team can do is offer say 4 years/$140 Million then other teams can't be outbid.

This also incentives the player to try hard all 4 years rather than phone it in 3 years into a 10 year deal.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 02:24:35 pm »

That's another form of salary cap, and the players are likely to want a salary floor in exchange.  As I understand it, players who are called up from the minors make under $50k for their first year in the majors and under $100k for their second year; players still in AAA and below make what can only be described as poverty wages.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 02:49:57 pm »

That's another form of salary cap, and the players are likely to want a salary floor in exchange.  As I understand it, players who are called up from the minors make under $50k for their first year in the majors and under $100k for their second year; players still in AAA and below make what can only be described as poverty wages.

It wouldn't necessarily be a cap because a team can have as many max players as they want. There should absolutely be a salary floor and something needs to be done about Minor League wages. They really are poverty wages and it's disgusting for the Yankees to not support their minor league affiliates.

The minimum MLB salary is half a million, so they can certainly live off of that. There is still negotiation though with free agency and arbitration. Too much ground to cover and they haven't budged much on it. If the players accept that 13 year contracts are nuts, they can get much larger wages in the short term. I think that's a win for everyone but common sense doesn't always apply when money is on the line.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 03:00:55 pm »

The minimum MLB salary is half a million, so they can certainly live off of that.
The problem is that (as I understand it) if you're called up from the minors, you don't qualify for that ~500k "minimum salary" until your third year in the majors.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 04:25:11 pm »

The problem is that (as I understand it) if you're called up from the minors, you don't qualify for that ~500k "minimum salary" until your third year in the majors.

There is a whole convoluted system about being called up from the Minors and being sent back a certain number of times, not to mention service time manipulation which will definitely be addressed this offseason. Lots of stuff the players can fight for and fix but they are going to have to give back and I think limiting the years on contracts is the way to go.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 05:46:09 pm »

Short answer - I'm with the players, without them there isn't baseball
Other short answer - I don't care, if this kills baseball as a sport entirely, I'm ok with it, it's a pretty boring sport
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 06:22:14 pm »

Short answer - I'm with the players, without them there isn't baseball
Other short answer - I don't care, if this kills baseball as a sport entirely, I'm ok with it, it's a pretty boring sport

I've absolutely grown out of the sports the past 2 years so I can't even disagree. I still want to see the Dolphins or Knicks win a title before I die but my days are no longer ruined if my teams lose games.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2021, 10:03:46 pm »

I saw that MLB was going to either start subsidizing or providing player housing for minor leaguers. This is major since that is the largest bill for most people.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2021, 07:38:56 am »

I saw that MLB was going to either start subsidizing or providing player housing for minor leaguers. This is major since that is the largest bill for most people.

That would be a huge help.  Granted, my reference is from a long time ago.  But, I played two years of Single A ball in the early 80's.  During the season, there were 5 of us living in a 2 bedroom apartment.  Also, my first year I made $10K and my second year I had a huge $500 pay increase.  I wasn't highly scouted or anything and if you weren't highly scouted and sought after coming out of high school or college, you pretty much signed for whatever they offered you back then.  There was no negotiation at least not on your first contract. 
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2021, 10:31:31 am »

It shocks me that they don't already. Wouldn't you want your players all living next to the stadium in a bunch of dorms? Easy to keep an eye on them and make sure they are eating healthy? These guys are investments, they should be treated as such.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2021, 10:35:01 pm »

That would be a huge help.  Granted, my reference is from a long time ago.  But, I played two years of Single A ball in the early 80's.  During the season, there were 5 of us living in a 2 bedroom apartment.  Also, my first year I made $10K and my second year I had a huge $500 pay increase.  I wasn't highly scouted or anything and if you weren't highly scouted and sought after coming out of high school or college, you pretty much signed for whatever they offered you back then.  There was no negotiation at least not on your first contract. 

It shocks me that they don't already. Wouldn't you want your players all living next to the stadium in a bunch of dorms? Easy to keep an eye on them and make sure they are eating healthy? These guys are investments, they should be treated as such.

Extremely valid points and especially Dolphster's point is right on the money. 

I am friends with two guys that bounced around in the minors but they both spent time with the Marlins big league club (one more than the other).  And their way of life was very similar to Dolphster's.   When they got called up, it was like a luxury to them. 
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2021, 06:38:23 pm »

Wednesday is the day for the work stoppage if nothing changes tonight or tomorrow.

As a Yankees fan, I welcome it and the end of all baseball so those greedy fucks stop pocketing profits while raising ticket prices. Burn in hell, Hal Steinbrenner.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2021, 07:31:24 pm »

I also welcome an MLB work stoppage .. and the domino effect of the Sinclair RSN bankruptcy ! .. down with them all
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2021, 03:06:06 pm »

The Owners and the Players had a meeting today to try to see if they could avoid a lockout. It lasted 30 minutes.

So, that's pretty much that. I would be fine with no baseball this year. Both sides are dumb but mainly the owners, not to mention their greed. The Yankees are the worst case scenario, literally raking in above $600 Million a year in revenue and they won't sign top players except once every 5 years or so due to costs. This is not supposed to be a business first, it's about winning. Don't finish in 3rd place and then show me your Balance Sheet while claiming it was a successful year.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2021, 05:08:49 pm »

yay for a work stoppage !! .. is this a strike or a lockout ? .. cause I'd like to see some pickets.

i'm hoping that they cancel the entire season .. and the next one too. but unfortunately all congress has to do is say that they'll look at MLB's anti-trust exemption if they don't work out a deal to make them all cave
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray