Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:24:39 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  AP: MLB Work Stoppage Very Likely
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: AP: MLB Work Stoppage Very Likely  (Read 5488 times)
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2021, 05:30:36 pm »

The Owners and the Players had a meeting today to try to see if they could avoid a lockout. It lasted 30 minutes.

So, that's pretty much that. I would be fine with no baseball this year. Both sides are dumb but mainly the owners, not to mention their greed. The Yankees are the worst case scenario, literally raking in above $600 Million a year in revenue and they won't sign top players except once every 5 years or so due to costs. This is not supposed to be a business first, it's about winning. Don't finish in 3rd place and then show me your Balance Sheet while claiming it was a successful year.

Huh???  For decades everyone has complained about the Yankees high payroll, accusing them of buying Championships.  They've probably paid the most money of any team in the Luxury Tax for excessive payroll.  I realize Hal is a cheapskate and doesn't want to pay the luxury tax, but I believe they are still in the top 5 for payroll.  I'm a Yankees fan and I'd rather see them field a team at the max payroll without getting into the Luxury Tax.  The problem I see with MLB is that there are too many owners with way too low of a payroll; they make money when top teams come to their cities and fill the stands (Yankees, Boston, Dodgers) and they get a cut of the Luxury Tax paid by the Yankees, Mets, Boston, etc. - and they just pocket this money instead of its intended purpose of increasing the payroll of their own teams.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2021, 08:42:31 am »

Huh???  For decades everyone has complained about the Yankees high payroll, accusing them of buying Championships.  They've probably paid the most money of any team in the Luxury Tax for excessive payroll.  I realize Hal is a cheapskate and doesn't want to pay the luxury tax, but I believe they are still in the top 5 for payroll.  I'm a Yankees fan and I'd rather see them field a team at the max payroll without getting into the Luxury Tax.  The problem I see with MLB is that there are too many owners with way too low of a payroll; they make money when top teams come to their cities and fill the stands (Yankees, Boston, Dodgers) and they get a cut of the Luxury Tax paid by the Yankees, Mets, Boston, etc. - and they just pocket this money instead of its intended purpose of increasing the payroll of their own teams.

You have to compare what they bring in to what their payroll is. Right now, they are a Wild Card team, not really a contender. However, that changes if you sign a Max Scherzer or Carlos Carrea. That would add between $30-40 Million in payroll. The team brought in $683 Million in revenue during their last full season in 2019. 2020 was crap of course but 2021, even with restrictions they brought in $526 Million. This is far and away greater than every other team and as a fan who would have to pay hundreds for one ticket on top of my $40 parking, $14 beer and $9 pretzel, I expect them to invest the money back into the product.

They aren't Verizon, I don't care about their profits. They are making hundreds of millions a year and the team's value grows 5% almost every year. I'm fine with not having a $400 Million payroll but when a guy like Max Scherzer becomes available and would help them win the World Series, I expect them to be the highest bidder.

Unlike an evil corporation like Verizon, they really don't provide a service at all. The players do everything and I'm fine with them getting a larger piece of the pie.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2021, 11:41:04 am »

But Max Scherzer didn't help the Dodgers win the World Series.
He didn't even help them win their division.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2021, 11:59:57 am »

But Max Scherzer didn't help the Dodgers win the World Series.
He didn't even help them win their division.

He did his part, they just ran into the World Series champs. Any team that adds Max is better for it. Whether or not that is enough is up to the rest of the team.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2021, 12:01:59 pm »

He did his part, they just ran into the World Series champs. Any team that adds Max is better for it. Whether or not that is enough is up to the rest of the team.

If I were the Yankees, I wouldn't sign him, or any other star pitcher in the NL.   NL pitchers face only eight hitters per game.   AL pitchers face nine.  He comes to the AL East, he's going to get his bell rung.

And that's coming from a fan of the Yankees personal farm club (the Marlins)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2022, 04:56:28 pm »

MLBPA rejected the owner's proposal unanimously and the Owners are expected to announce the season will be delayed and games will be canceled. Players say the rumors of the two sides being close were never true and created by the owners.

They appear to be very far apart on all economic matters, especially the Luxury Tax which is being used by owners as a salary cap that is not going up higher to match the new revenues.

I'm almost 100% on the players side for this but I said before that they need to cap the years on these contracts as they are way out of line with all other professional sports. 13 year deals? Absolute madness and that creates a lot of hesitancy on a team's side about whether to commit so much money and flexibility into one player. Almost eveyr mega contract has been bad for the team, so just cap it at 7 years and the salaries will probably go up to match it.

However, that's just one of many issues and one I don't think they are even discussing. This is primarily about the Luxury Tax, Arbitration and Free Agency.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2022, 10:32:24 pm »

MLBPA rejected the owner's proposal unanimously and the Owners are expected to announce the season will be delayed and games will be canceled. Players say the rumors of the two sides being close were never true and created by the owners.

They appear to be very far apart on all economic matters, especially the Luxury Tax which is being used by owners as a salary cap that is not going up higher to match the new revenues.

I'm almost 100% on the players side for this but I said before that they need to cap the years on these contracts as they are way out of line with all other professional sports. 13 year deals? Absolute madness and that creates a lot of hesitancy on a team's side about whether to commit so much money and flexibility into one player. Almost eveyr mega contract has been bad for the team, so just cap it at 7 years and the salaries will probably go up to match it.

However, that's just one of many issues and one I don't think they are even discussing. This is primarily about the Luxury Tax, Arbitration and Free Agency.

The problem with baseball is that contracts are 100% guaranteed.   No contract in any sport should ever be guaranteed.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2022, 01:44:56 am »

The problem with baseball is that contracts are 100% guaranteed.   No contract in any sport should ever be guaranteed.
First off, the contracts of every manager/head coach and GM are guaranteed, even in a sport like the NFL where player contracts aren't.

But hey, if you're in favor of no guaranteed contracts, I'm also fine with that... as long as it works BOTH ways.  So for example, after Corbin Burnes wins the NL Cy Young award, he tears up his contract with the Brewers and immediately goes to play for whomever will pay him the most.

You agree with that scenario, right?  Or does "you signed the contract, live with it" only apply to players?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 01:48:13 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2022, 08:38:56 am »

You agree with that scenario, right?  Or does "you signed the contract, live with it" only apply to players?

If that's the way it works in the NFL, that's the way it should work in all other sports.   This is a job and these are the terms of said job.   Because if you don't like it, there's thousands of other guys who are willing and able to take your spot.  

And before you start whining about that not being fair to the players, remember what I said in the other thread about life not being fair.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 09:52:08 am by ArtieChokePhin » Logged
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2022, 08:42:49 am »

The problem with baseball is that contracts are 100% guaranteed.   No contract in any sport should ever be guaranteed.

I think all contracts should be guaranteed, but they should have a cap on the years so that the players can get paid more over time. If there was a 6 year limit on contracts, Manny Machado would probably have gotten more combined than the one mega contract he signed. NBA does it and they make a ton. NHL rarely goes past 7 years and that's for mega stars.

Just seems better for all parties but it will never be agreed to by the MLBPA, especially if the owners aren't even budging on the luxury tax and arbitration.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2022, 07:40:52 pm »

One of the issues they are making traction on is  14 team playoff system. That is a horrible idea that would ruin baseball. What is the point of 162 games if nearly half the league gets in the playoffs? This is being driven purely by greed from both parties who want playoff revenue.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2022, 07:43:07 pm »

Knowing Rob Manfred, he'll have 14 teams make the playoffs, but half of them will be eliminated after one game.
Worst of both worlds.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2022, 10:33:46 am »

Knowing Rob Manfred, he'll have 14 teams make the playoffs, but half of them will be eliminated after one game.
Worst of both worlds.

The players are dumb for this as it lets owners actually spend less. Fans get angry with low payrolls when you are losing, but if you are a "perennial playoff team" then you don't need to spend an extra $8 Million at the trade deadline. Keep staying in the 86 win range and pocket that TV money.

MLBPA is usually the best sports union but they aren't playing anything right this time around.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2022, 03:43:19 pm »

It appears that there is a deal and baseball will start April 7th. Lots of double headers to make it a full 162 game season.

No details yet on the final numbers but I don't think the Players got what they needed. The Luxury Tax is still being used as a hard salary cap and the threshhold was not raised high enough.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2022, 04:41:11 pm »

It appears that there is a deal and baseball will start April 7th. Lots of double headers to make it a full 162 game season.

No details yet on the final numbers but I don't think the Players got what they needed. The Luxury Tax is still being used as a hard salary cap and the threshold was not raised high enough.

The owners will vote to ratify the deal at 6 PM ET.   If they do, then free agency will begin immediately.   One big change is the that DH will be put in both leagues.  This should've been done in 1973 when the AL did it.  Better late than never.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray