Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:26:11 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Anti-Fins Chat (Moderators: jtex316, Phishfan)
| | |-+  Dolphins Are Like An Old Sickly Dog
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dolphins Are Like An Old Sickly Dog  (Read 1647 times)
Dolphster
Uber Member

« on: October 26, 2021, 08:07:03 am »

I saw this on SBNation.com and thought it was a pretty accurate assessment so I stole it from who said it so I can post it here.  The last paragraph about how it doesn't matter what they do next because it will probably fail really struck me and I can't argue with it. 

Right now being a Dolphins fan is like owning a very old and slowly failing dog. You keep looking for positives..."he ate almost all of his food today and didn't throw up"..."nice solid BM this morning"...but deep down you know it's hopeless. And it pains you every time you look at him because you know.

So Tua looked pretty good at times...yipee. Gaskin had a few good carries...yay. The defense forced a turnover! Yeah, great, maybe we can set the bar way lower next week. "They seemed really spirited when they ran out of the tunnel!"..."Flores called a nice replay review there!"..."Excellent fair catch technique, you can't coach that!". It makes me sick.

Right now it's impossible to even care about what they'll "do" next, as it'll probably fail, just like it always does. The idea of yet another GM/HC/QB search makes me nauseous. But I guess it's just what we do now, it's the Dolphins Way. How did it ever come to this?
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 08:43:56 am »

I'm just going with the flow until they fire the coaches. To me, that is 90% of our problems.
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 09:51:49 am »

Time for the Dolphins to go to that farm upstate?

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
BeanCounter

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 11:28:20 am »

Nothing is going to change until we get an owner who is more concerned about winning a Super Bowl than hosting one.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 11:34:27 am »

I'm just going with the flow until they fire the coaches. To me, that is 90% of our problems.

I think they need to completely OVERPAY their coaching staff to acquire talented coaches from other teams.  Overpay the line coaches, overpay the coordinators, etc. - just get talented guys in the building.  I'm sure this probably won't happen because that would ruffle the feathers of other owners in the league, but to just be constantly changing the coaches with guys that are no better, or worse, than the existing guy is futile.  And that's what keeps happening.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 12:16:47 pm »

I think they need to completely OVERPAY their coaching staff to acquire talented coaches from other teams.  Overpay the line coaches, overpay the coordinators, etc. - just get talented guys in the building.  I'm sure this probably won't happen because that would ruffle the feathers of other owners in the league, but to just be constantly changing the coaches with guys that are no better, or worse, than the existing guy is futile.  And that's what keeps happening.

Ross would be fine with that as he isn't cheap but he probably doesn't even know who to overpay. Not to mention, great coordinators and coaches don't really become free agents. To steal them away from other teams, you need to promote them.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2021, 11:48:17 am »

Ross would be fine with that as he isn't cheap but he probably doesn't even know who to overpay. Not to mention, great coordinators and coaches don't really become free agents. To steal them away from other teams, you need to promote them.

Well that was the point I was trying to make by saying Miami should overpay, by vastly overpaying them you can steal them away from other teams without promoting them to a higher position.  For example let's say the Steelers O-line coach currently makes $500K per year, and Miami offers him $800K per year to do the same job, then you can steal them away.  Goodell may make Miami give up a 5th round draft pick, but Miami doesn't know what to do with them anyway.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2021, 11:53:03 am »

Well that was the point I was trying to make by saying Miami should overpay, by vastly overpaying them you can steal them away from other teams without promoting them to a higher position.  For example let's say the Steelers O-line coach currently makes $500K per year, and Miami offers him $800K per year to do the same job, then you can steal them away.  Goodell may make Miami give up a 5th round draft pick, but Miami doesn't know what to do with them anyway.

I don't think we can just buy coordinators and coaches if they are under contract. Most teams will let their OC become a Head Coach if they want but they have to grant permission. We would have to probably throw in some draft picks but I can't see giving away a 3rd rounder for an Offensive Line coach.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2021, 08:08:47 am »

Nothing is going to change until we get an owner who is more concerned about winning a Super Bowl than hosting one.

This right here.  It seems Ross wants to win but is completely clueless as to how to do so.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray