Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:11:27 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  What to do about COVID?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: What to do about COVID?  (Read 2177 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: December 17, 2021, 12:10:37 pm »

I'm not really sure what should be done.

I think, at this stage, it makes sense not to allow players to play that have tested positive for a communicable disease.

However, you have cases like the Football Team where there are 21 players that have positive cases.  That's not sustainable.  It looks like we will be dealing with some form of COVID potentially indefinitely, so what's the best way to handle it?

I think that teams probably should mandate (or at the very, very least heavily pressure the way they do with "voluntary workouts") players to get vaccinated and boosted or whatever, just to reduce the chances that there are outbreaks on their team.

Are you allowed to play if you have the Flu?  I can see why the NFL would have a rule where you aren't allowed to.  There's nothing super weird about that.

I guess all you can do is stay the course and try to get your protocols up to prevent outbreaks in your locker room.

I drink your milkshake!
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2021, 12:37:39 pm »

Unless I am wrong, it seems like everyone or a very large percentage testing positive right now are vaccinated, so that isn't helping. We really should just look at the data and try not to make it emotional or political, NFL players are amongst the healthiest in the world. Their chances of getting very ill from Covid is basically zero. The vaccinated are spreading this just as much as the unvaccinated, so like you said, something must be done and it shouldn't be more of the same.

My opinion is to just let them all play. Based on data, the vaccine seems to help prevent people from being very ill so the coaches and others who are more susceptible to it can choose to be vaccinated if they want to or deal with the consequences if they aren't. Like the data says, EVERYONE is spreading it so the vaccine means nothing in term of not affecting others.

I can't in good conscience condone force people to take this vaccine if they don't want to based on the fact that it doesn't prevent spreading it to others. We don't know the long term affects of this and there is no legal recourse if you get seriously hurt from it now or down the line. Just look at what is happening in European soccer (football for you non Yanks). Heart issues and collapses all over the field and those guys are even healthier than NFL players.

Covid is going to be around for many more years after this and current protocols aren't working, so doing what hasn't been working until 2030 is not a reasonable option to me.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2021, 01:03:15 pm »

They basically should ignore it at this point.   At least 95% of the players are vaccinated and COVID is not going to kill young men in their 20s and 30s in top physical shape.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2021, 01:45:26 pm »

The unvaccinated are definitely spreading it more than the vaccinated.

Also the unvaccinated are clogging up hospitals preventing others from needed care. 

I can in good conscience mandate vaccine for all absent that have a policy of only treating unvaccinated if the hospitals have spare capacity.  If no spare capacity than the unvaccinated can go to the farm store and eat cattle dewormer.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2021, 02:23:52 pm »

Unless I am wrong, it seems like everyone or a very large percentage testing positive right now are vaccinated, so that isn't helping.

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but yes, you are wrong about that.

It is helping, but it's not stopping 100%.  Getting vaccinated will reduce (but not eliminate) catching COVID.  Once you have COVID, it will reduce (but not eliminate) symptoms, severity, length of illness.  And it will reduce (but not eliminate) viral load that will reduce (but not eliminate the chance) of spreading it to someone else.

Vaccines and boosters definitely help reduce the spread, but also helps these guys clear the COVID list faster and get back on the field or have no symptoms.

I think you're right about making apolitical medical decisions, but there's a PR issue here, too.  The NFL is a national product with an image to uphold.  Right now, about 1300 people are dying per day from COVID in the US.  Some parts of the country are obviously worse than others, but I think it would be a bad look to just ignore it and keep playing.

I also think it's probably a legal impossibility, to have a guy who you know has tested positive, send him out there -- what if the player across from him gets really sick? -- he could certainly sue the NFL for unsafe working conditions, I'd imagine.

At this point in the evolution of the virus, I just don't see how you knowingly send guys out there to play who are known to be positive.  Not when people are still dying at a very large rate.

I think that the current rules with the thing about pressuring all players to be vaccinated, in order to move games in emergency situations, makes the most sense.

I drink your milkshake!
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2021, 02:29:55 pm »

I can in good conscience mandate vaccine for all

Two words in response to your idea of a vaccine mandate for all..... Second Amendment
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2021, 02:33:04 pm »

The unvaccinated are definitely spreading it more than the vaccinated.

Also the unvaccinated are clogging up hospitals preventing others from needed care.  

This is so not true. Fully vaccinated countries like Gibralter and Israel have had to shut down because of Covid. Fully vaccinated cruises are getting covid. No unvaccinated people to blame. It really doesn't matter if you have the vaccine or not you can and will spread it if you get it and do not take precautions.

We just need to learn to live with it. If you are a professional athlete whose team depends on you then you're going to need to take more precautions during the season than some construction worker who is a single hermit. Pretending vaccines are the answer is just taking away from the reality of the situation and creating other issues.  

Fortunately the new variant doesn't affect the lungs and is much milder so at least that's a good thing.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2021, 02:52:57 pm »

Tom Pelissero is reporting that the majority of NFL players want to abolish the protocols seeing as how most are asymptomatic. My nephew informed me a few months ago that his hospital quit testing employees a long time ago because they were tired of sending home staff who never showed symptoms. Basically they only test people who are showing signs and it looks like that's what the players want to do.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 02:54:43 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2021, 03:20:55 pm »

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but yes, you are wrong about that.

It is helping, but it's not stopping 100%.  Getting vaccinated will reduce (but not eliminate) catching COVID.  Once you have COVID, it will reduce (but not eliminate) symptoms, severity, length of illness.  And it will reduce (but not eliminate) viral load that will reduce (but not eliminate the chance) of spreading it to someone else.

Vaccines and boosters definitely help reduce the spread, but also helps these guys clear the COVID list faster and get back on the field or have no symptoms.

I think you're right about making apolitical medical decisions, but there's a PR issue here, too.  The NFL is a national product with an image to uphold.  Right now, about 1300 people are dying per day from COVID in the US.  Some parts of the country are obviously worse than others, but I think it would be a bad look to just ignore it and keep playing.

I also think it's probably a legal impossibility, to have a guy who you know has tested positive, send him out there -- what if the player across from him gets really sick? -- he could certainly sue the NFL for unsafe working conditions, I'd imagine.

At this point in the evolution of the virus, I just don't see how you knowingly send guys out there to play who are known to be positive.  Not when people are still dying at a very large rate.

I think that the current rules with the thing about pressuring all players to be vaccinated, in order to move games in emergency situations, makes the most sense.

As of November 17th, 94.3% of NFL players were vaccinated. So, unless you mean the population of the country and not just the NFL, then this is vaccinated players spreading it to vaccinated players. I believe the number is even higher now at 97%. The country is far lower than that but that changes from state to state. I think Omicron spreads easier to the vaccinated but is far less milder.

What everyone in charge seemed to ignore from Day 1 for one reason or another, is demographics. Like I said, NFL players don't get sick. Covid to them is either asymptomatic or a cold because of how good their conditioning is. Grandma and Grandpa got sick and sadly passed on, as did the obese. These don't apply to most professional athletes and should be taken into account. There is no perfect solution, no one size fits all and I hear what you are saying. If I'm a Defensive End, I would want to know if the Right Tackle has Covid or not, even if I am not personally too worried about it. But, Covid to me won't be going away for years, if at all, so postponing games and pretending that these guys are in danger is not the answer.

What is? I don't know but yelling at each other is all this country has been doing and that hasn't worked out too well.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2021, 05:29:10 pm »

^ And how many of those faked their vaccine status?
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2021, 06:49:54 pm »

If you read the comments on literally any YouTube video about the virus, you'd think nothing should be done about the virus.     

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2021, 02:20:06 am »

I just got my booster shot today, and still have a good chance of getting Covid with this new variant that spreads quickly; but at least the vaccine will hopefully minimize the virus if I get it.

As for everybody else I don't care whether you get vaccinated or not, it's your life and your decision.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2021, 07:28:04 am »

Just football talking heads but they were saying yesterday that the omicron variant was fairly mild and was passing through pretty quickly for most guys.

fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2021, 08:53:38 am »

Just football talking heads but they were saying yesterday that the omicron variant was fairly mild and was passing through pretty quickly for most guys.

My youngest and I just tested positive for covid. I was scheduled to get my booster today, my youngest had just gotten his first dose (but probably not in time for it to make any difference). Really, really lousy timing with family scheduled to visit for xmas. We don't get to see that part of the family often and the plan was for them to be here for a week. Not sure what the heck we'll do. Symptoms are very mild for my son (basically just a headache and runny nose) and not too bad for me. I was hit with classic man-flu symptoms yesterday, but I'm much better today and working from home. The rest of the family is vaccinated and tested negative. We're basically quarantined in half the house while we figure out what to do. If everyone else keeps testing negative, I might take my son and go somewhere else until we're in the clear.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2021, 08:57:58 am »

My youngest and I just tested positive for covid. I was scheduled to get my booster today, my youngest had just gotten his first dose (but probably not in time for it to make any difference). Really, really lousy timing with family scheduled to visit for xmas. We don't get to see that part of the family often and the plan was for them to be here for a week. Not sure what the heck we'll do. Symptoms are very mild for my son (basically just a headache and runny nose) and not too bad for me. I was hit with classic man-flu symptoms yesterday, but I'm much better today and working from home. The rest of the family is vaccinated and tested negative. We're basically quarantined in half the house while we figure out what to do. If everyone else keeps testing negative, I might take my son and go somewhere else until we're in the clear.
Hopefully it passes quickly for you guys. My wife's cousin who is 52 caught it at the Jags-Titans game last week. She got the Regeneron thing once she tested positive and only had one really bad day.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 04:48:07 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray