Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:28:33 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  What to do about COVID?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: What to do about COVID?  (Read 2244 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2021, 11:23:47 am »

We're still mostly dealing with Delta at this point.

I'm hoping Omicron is more virulent but less deadly.  That would be pretty big, because it would squeeze Delta out. 

But the bad part is that Omicron is more resistant to vaccine, in terms of catching it -- still reduces, but not as much as the vaccine vs. the other variants.  Vaccine + booster is doing very well as prevent serious illness though, still, which is ultimately what matters most.

And we're learning still.  We don't have our own data yet -- I think we're relying on South Africa info, if I'm not mistaken.

I drink your milkshake!
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2021, 12:04:16 pm »

We're still mostly dealing with Delta at this point.

I'm hoping Omicron is more virulent but less deadly.  That would be pretty big, because it would squeeze Delta out.  

But the bad part is that Omicron is more resistant to vaccine, in terms of catching it -- still reduces, but not as much as the vaccine vs. the other variants.  Vaccine + booster is doing very well as prevent serious illness though, still, which is ultimately what matters most.

And we're learning still.  We don't have our own data yet -- I think we're relying on South Africa info, if I'm not mistaken.

There's absolutely no question Omicron is more virulent. How much is the question. The early reports that it was maybe milder were from South Africa where the age profile is completely different than in the West. The latest out of the UK is that there's no reason (yet) to believe it to be milder, but since disease severity data lags initial positive tests by several weeks, it's still very early.

If you want an indication of virulence, you can look at a place like Copenhagen in Denmark. They variant test every single positive PCR sample, so they can tell with very high precision exactly what the development is. On 27 Nov they detected the first 3 Omicron cases out of about 4000 total cases (less than 0.1%). A week later it was 1.5% of all cases. A week after that it was 15% of all cases. A week later (about now) it's 50%. Copenhagen has a heavily vaccinated population and since Omicron can infect the vaccinated to a much greater degree, it's not quite that simple to calculate the relative virulence (since Omicron effectively has a *much* larger pool of people to spread in), but it's clearly more virulent. Recent UK data indicates vaccine (2 doses) efficacy around 0-20%, with booster around 55%-80%, although that data might be affected by the time lapsed since vaccination (basically, most people in the UK had their second shot 6 months ago, so protection *now* is bad, but we don't know what it is for people who *just* got a second shot).

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2021/12/uncertainty-swirls-around-omicron-covid-19-severity
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2021, 04:35:51 pm »

I saw on one of the weekend news shows that for every one person that catches omicron that they are spreading it to four other individuals, and then those four spread it to another four; so it can ramp up the cases pretty quickly.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2021, 05:22:28 pm »

the timing for my family worked out ok .. my kid got vaccinated the first day it was available for 9 year olds so it's been about 3 weeks since his 2nd dose .. and i had my booster over a month ago and so did my wife.

I did have a cold about 2 weeks ago and was sick for about a week, so it may have been a breakthrough but it never got to the point where i had fever and it was mostly cough/sniffles so I was just careful and didn't go out or get exposed to people.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2021, 11:57:48 am »

I'm kinda coming around to the idea of moving past asymptomatic positive tests like CF is saying, but I need a little more data.

Omicron took over super fast.  Shortly after I wrote my last message, it had taken over as the dominant variant in the US.  I saw somewhere that it only killed like...1 person.  If it's really low death rate and the symptoms are way less, we can probably start look at "living with the virus" like we have talked about.

I'm just not 100% comfortable making that assumption yet.

The cases in FL are blowing up again, but if the death/hospitalization doesn't follow, this might be the break we're looking for.

I drink your milkshake!
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2021, 12:40:55 pm »

^ yeah, it would be nice if a significantly milder variant took over and became dominant.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2021, 03:03:47 pm »

^ that's generally how these things go
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2021, 03:45:59 pm »

NBA comish nailed it yesterday. It isn't going anywhere and we just have to learn to live with it.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2021, 03:32:30 pm »

Adam Schefter  just reported that the players union are about to sign an agreement to lowering quarantine for Covid to 5 days for all players regardless of vaccination status.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2021, 07:30:14 pm »

Adam Schefter  just reported that the players union are about to sign an agreement to lowering quarantine for Covid to 5 days for all players regardless of vaccination status.

Maybe they should only test players that are showing symptoms
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray