Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 12:38:46 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Pass interference?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Pass interference?  (Read 1354 times)
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« on: December 22, 2021, 05:26:13 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-hJSUu5z1c

Many people are up in arms over this call.  I am not so sure.

The NFL rule says, a defender may use his arms and hands to defend himself against impeding contact with a receiver.

I think this is case here.  This is an example of the momentum I talked about after the Chiefs/49ers Super bowl.

The receiver stops suddenly to try to make a move back to the under thrown ball.  The defender uses his arms to brace himself for the impending contact.

What do you think?  Do you agree with the non-call?

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2021, 06:24:36 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-hJSUu5z1c

Many people are up in arms over this call.  I am not so sure.

The NFL rule says, a defender may use his arms and hands to defend himself against impeding contact with a receiver.

I think this is case here.  This is an example of the momentum I talked about after the Chiefs/49ers Super bowl.

The receiver stops suddenly to try to make a move back to the under thrown ball.  The defender uses his arms to brace himself for the impending contact.

What do you think?  Do you agree with the non-call?

The defender must not initiate contact with the receiver prior to the catch. The receiver: a) has a right to run his route, b) has a right to make a play on the ball.

This is clearly PI. The one thing the league deliberately doesn't want called are so-called "bang bang" plays, and that's the only sane argument you could make here, IMHO. Running the play in slow-motion can make something seem like PI when it's actually just a bang bang play. This one is pretty obvious, though, and isn't nearly close enough. It would be called PI virtually every single time.
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2021, 06:29:56 pm »

The defender must not initiate contact with the receiver prior to the catch. The receiver: a) has a right to run his route, b) has a right to make a play on the ball.

This is clearly PI. The one thing the league deliberately doesn't want called are so-called "bang bang" plays, and that's the only sane argument you could make here, IMHO. Running the play in slow-motion can make something seem like PI when it's actually just a bang bang play. This one is pretty obvious, though, and isn't nearly close enough. It would be called PI virtually every single time.

My argument is that he is not initiating contact.  The contact is caused by his momentum.  I am trying to see if the NFL issued a correction for this play.  After using his hands to brace for the contact, he immediately lets go and tries to get out of the way.   
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 06:32:06 pm by dolphins4life » Logged

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2021, 06:55:41 pm »

Miami's playoff chances have been hurt badly by missed PI calls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lTw2cK2Imc

This is a clear PI and not caused by momentum whatsoever.  They could be 8-6 and have the Raiders by 6-8 AND hold the tiebreaker against them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E4nn7RKj04&t=1s

If this was called and the Chiefs score from the one, The Chargers are 7-7.

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2021, 07:21:35 pm »

Also explain this one to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POteDvjQtKw

The play I'm talking about is the last one.

Mike Evans literally grabs Bills defender.  How is that in any way fair to call pass interference on the Bills on that play?  He can't turn around and make a play on the ball if the receiver is grabbing him.

This didn't affect the game because it was first down, and the Bucs likely would have scored on the drive anyway.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2021, 09:40:36 pm »

PI without question.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2021, 09:50:10 pm »

I thought PI had to be contact initiated by a defender

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2021, 09:50:51 pm »

This brings me to my question that is it legal to draw pass interference calls by enticing defenders to run into you?

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2021, 09:52:51 pm »

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/illegal-contact/

Beyond the five-yard zone, if the player who receives the snap remains in the pocket with the ball, a defender cannot initiate contact with a receiver who is attempting to evade him. A defender may use his hands or arms only to defend or protect himself against impending contact caused by a receiver.

Wilson is in the pocket

The defender does not initiate the contact.  The contact is caused by the receiver's sudden stop. 

The defender puts his hands to defend himself against the impeding contact.

Verdict:  Good no call

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2021, 09:46:09 am »

I thought PI had to be contact initiated by a defender
I think you are misinterpreting the rules a bit. While who initiates the contact is important, it's not as important as why. If the WR changes his route to catch the football, the defensive player cannot impede that regardless of whether or not he was intending to or not. In your initial video clearly the WR is moving toward the football and the defensive player has his back to the football so clearly he's impeding the WR's ability to get to the ball. Not only that but he CLEARLY chops the WR's hands which is another clear indication of impeding his ability to catch the football. This is not even up for debate, it's a clear pass interference violation. Why it was not called is because the official simply missed it. I can only assume the play was not reviewed?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 09:50:37 am by Pappy13 » Logged

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2021, 09:47:30 am »

Beyond the five-yard zone, if the player who receives the snap remains in the pocket with the ball, a defender cannot initiate contact with a receiver who is attempting to evade him. A defender may use his hands or arms only to defend or protect himself against impending contact caused by a receiver.
I think you are misinterpreting the 2nd clause of that statement, that the defender can protect himself against impending contact caused by a receiver. This ONLY applies when he's trying to intercept the pass and the receiver becomes the defensive player trying to prevent him from doing so, in other words in the case of determining if there is offensive pass interference. The defensive player in this case had his back to the ball, he was NOT trying to intercept the pass so no he cannot protect himself from the impending contact by the WR in that case.

The defender does not initiate the contact.  The contact is caused by the receiver's sudden stop. 

No he doesn't, he's not trying to intercept the pass, he swings his arms in a downward motion and chops at the WR's arms. That'a s clear cut PI violation.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 09:55:40 am by Pappy13 » Logged

fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2021, 08:55:18 am »

I've tried to answer a few times, but keep getting a database error... I'll try adding bits of my reply at a time... hopefully something sticks.

Wilson is in the pocket

The defender does not initiate the contact.  The contact is caused by the receiver's sudden stop.  

Verdict:  Good no call

It's really hard not to get snarky...

You're looking at the rule SUMMARY for ILLEGAL CONTACT.

#1: Look at the full rules.
#2: Who's talking about illegal contact. It's PASS INTERFERENCE.

To quote THAT rule:

Section 5, article 1:

It is pass interference by either team when any act by a player
more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage significantly
hinders an eligible player's opportunity to catch the ball.

Article 2 has a bunch of specifics as to what isn't allowed, article 3 some things that are. However, the main point above stands.

Article 2a spells it out:

Contact by a player who is not playing the ball that restricts the
opponent's opportunity to make the catch;

So the call clearly should have been PI.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 10:27:56 am by fyo » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray