Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:58:10 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Omar Kelly: Can we stop pretending Dolphins’ Tua has been set up to succeed?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Omar Kelly: Can we stop pretending Dolphins’ Tua has been set up to succeed?  (Read 611 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: January 04, 2022, 03:37:03 pm »

Kind of a funny article from a guy who didn't start out as a Tua fan. A lot of these things have already been brought up but this article kind of sums up a lot of us.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-kelly-column-tues-20220104-424cbajtjvct3gbc4vijqvkcdy-story.html

By OMAR KELLY
SOUTH FLORIDA SUN SENTINEL
JAN 04, 2022 AT 1:28 PM

Tagovailoa was bad in Miami’s 34-3 loss to the Tennessee Titans, who won the AFC South with the victory on Sunday.

With a postseason berth on the line, when the stakes couldn’t have been any higher, the Dolphins’ starting quarterback face-planted.

He fumbled the ball three times during a cold and rainy game. He threw one interception and was fortunate to have two more possible picks dropped.

Tagovailoa was off by plenty on a handful of throws that could have extended drives and produced more than three points for the game.

Bottom line is undeniable: Miami’s second-year quarterback failed the Dolphins when this team needed him the most.

But what’s also undeniable is that this team, this franchise, these coaches have failed Tagovailoa all season, in every aspect and area you would think a young quarterback needs support.

If there’s anything I’m taking away from this 2021 season — which will conclude with a meaningless home game against the playoff-bound New England Patriots (10-6) — it is that the Dolphins (8-8) and their fan base have one foot in and one foot out on Tagovailoa.

If I were him, I’d be debating whether I want to be here in 2022 and long-term.

Just think about all that’s happened this season, which has seemed like a season long unintentional attempt to sabotage the former Alabama standout.

I’m not even talking the Deshaun Watson courtship.

I’m talking football stuff.

This co-coordinator approach has been a major flop, considering how much this offense regressed in the season after Chan Gailey quit or got fired, depending on who you talk to. Miami ranks 25th in yards per game (307.6) and averages 19.3 points per game (ranked 24th). By comparison, last season the Dolphins ranked 22nd in yards per game (339) and averaged 25.3 points per game (ranked 15th).

The Dolphins offense ranks below league average in every category except interceptions, third-down and fourth-down conversions and red-zone success. And they can thank Tagovailoa for being above board there.

If you’re Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Jimmy Garoppolo or Watson, the four upper-echelon quarterbacks who will likely be shopped by their teams this offseason, you have to be looking at the Dolphins with a stink face because of what they have around the quarterback.

The offensive line is terrible, arguably the worst in the NFL despite three seasons of trying to build it. Tagovailoa’s pocket presence has helped them resemble something respectable, but there’s still a handful of plays each game that will ruin a series or game.

And it’s been this way for three straight seasons under coach Brian Flores, who is on his fourth offensive line coach in three years. He’ll likely add a fifth to that list this offseason, because it’s pretty clear Lemuel Jeanpierre, who is in his first season of leading an NFL offensive line as a position coach, is in over his head.

Other than right guard Robert Hunt, every player on that unit has struggled and doesn’t pass the sniff test as an NFL starter.

Their struggles are part of the reason Miami’s running game has been a joke all season, averaging 85.5 rushing yards per game (ranked 31st) and 3.4 yards per carry. This is also a third straight season of struggles in that area.

General Manager Chris Grier should be embarrassed that two tailbacks added off the waiver wire around midseason — Duke Johnson and Phillip Lindsay — are clearly the unit’s top two talents. Grier has treated tailbacks like an afterthought despite the run game’s significant role as the catalyst for a Run-Pass-Option offense like the Dolphins use.

Jaylen Waddle has been this team’s only reliable and consistent receiver. The 2021 first-round pick is three receptions shy of setting the NFL’s rookie receptions record and 12 yards away from becoming the 11th 1,000-yard receiver for the Dolphins in franchise history.

But every other receiver in this injury-decimated unit has been a disappointment, which has forced tight end Mike Gesicki to play a receiver role most of the season

Although a healthy DeVante Parker has the potential to be a playmaker, healthy and Parker aren’t two words that often get paired. And this was his third-worst NFL season.

As for the rest of the unit, we need to put Will Fuller, Albert Wilson and Preston Williams on the back of a milk carton. Their disappearance has forced Tagovailoa to lean heavily on Isaiah Ford, a journeyman, and Mack Hollins, a special teams contributor, for much of this season.

That means the Dolphins clearly fell short of this offseason’s goal, which was to add more weaponry to Tagovailoa’s arsenal.

So, to summarize Miami’s offense, Tagovailoa is working with one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL, balanced out by one of the worst running games in the NFL, with has one of the weakest receiving corps in the NFL.

Yet, people want me to believe Tagovailoa is the one holding back this franchise?

I’m not buying it and won’t until this team puts better talent around him, and he proves it’s him and not the coaching, talent or decision-making that is holding this offense back.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 04:28:34 pm »

Josh Allen got the best WR in the league for his 3rd season and he blew up. Can we at the very least get Tua an O-Line that isn't historically futile? Maybe more weapons than a slot WR and 3 guys who can't stay on the field?

Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 02:38:29 am »

It certainly repeats many of our thoughts. Maybe Omar has been looking at this place?
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 07:48:26 am »

As I saw someone else say on another Dolphins site, "The Dolphins have been Tannehilling Tua since day one."   Tua's path will probably be similar to Tannehill's.  The Dolphins will eventually dump him and if he goes to a team with a good offensive line, the Dolphins will scratch their heads and wonder why Tua wasn't as good here. 
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 08:00:33 am »

As I saw someone else say on another Dolphins site, "The Dolphins have been Tannehilling Tua since day one."   Tua's path will probably be similar to Tannehill's.  The Dolphins will eventually dump him and if he goes to a team with a good offensive line, the Dolphins will scratch their heads and wonder why Tua wasn't as good here. 

The far more likely outcome is that Tua is simply average, as that's the most likely outcome for any QB drafted highly in the NFL.  Tannehill and players like him are the extreme exception to the rule.  Notice all 32 league GMs had film of six years of Tannehill's career available to them when he became available in trade, and nobody ponied up anything more than a meager offer and a meager (comparatively speaking) one-year salary for him (to start).  If Dolphins' fans are supposedly good at determining how much better a QB would fare amidst better surroundings, the personnel experts of the league sure aren't.

The more likely explanation of course is that Tannehill is an extreme exception to the rule, and the GMs of the league would be right the vast majority of the time in approaching situations like that in the way they did, whereas Dolphins' fans would be wrong the vast majority of the time.  Of course Dolphins' fans don't have their livelihoods at stake as the GMs of the league do, and so they can sit safely at home typing stuff on message boards and making "decisions" such as these without any personal consequence.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2022, 08:08:44 am »

The far more likely outcome is that Tua is simply average, as that's the most likely outcome for any QB drafted highly in the NFL.  Tannehill and players like him are the extreme exception to the rule.  Notice all 32 league GMs had film of six years of Tannehill's career available to them when he became available in trade, and nobody ponied up anything more than a meager offer and a meager (comparatively speaking) one-year salary for him (to start).  If Dolphins' fans are supposedly good at determining how much better a QB would fare amidst better surroundings, the personnel experts of the league sure aren't.

The more likely explanation of course is that Tannehill is an extreme exception to the rule, and the GMs of the league would be right the vast majority of the time in approaching situations like that in the way they did, whereas Dolphins' fans would be wrong the vast majority of the time.  Of course Dolphins' fans don't have their livelihoods at stake as the GMs of the league do, and so they can sit safely at home typing stuff on message boards and making "decisions" such as these without any personal consequence.

What is "far more likely" is that you know a lot more about analytics than you do about football. 
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2022, 08:12:13 am »

What is "far more likely" is that you know a lot more about analytics than you do about football. 

What do you know about football?  Do you have some sort of experience with it that should make us deem you an authority?
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2022, 08:25:41 am »

What do you know about football?  Do you have some sort of experience with it that should make us deem you an authority?

LOL.  Excellent comeback, bro.   Nah, I've never played any sports or stuff like that.   Wink
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2022, 08:29:25 am »

LOL.  Excellent comeback, bro.   Nah, I've never played any sports or stuff like that.   Wink

I'm happy to deem anyone an authority who has the requisite experience with something and listen to him and learn from him.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray