Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 09:26:13 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Clemens and Bonds in Last Bids for Hall of Fame
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Clemens and Bonds in Last Bids for Hall of Fame  (Read 2992 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2022, 01:56:14 pm »

One other thing, too.  I don't worship athletes.  So, for the Hall of Fame, it doesn't mean that they're good people.  It's a record of the era -- I think of it like a museum.

So, put them in there and tell the story about juicing.  It's part of the sport.  Make it part of the narrative.

I feel like books and movies have figured this out.  We still recognize racist, horrible shit as good filmmaking or writing, because of when it happened and what it contributed at the time.  As a viewer and appreciation of the era, you need to weed through the bullshit.  Sports needs to get on this same page.

I drink your milkshake!
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2022, 02:28:38 pm »

^^^

This is the right answer.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2022, 03:04:44 pm »

Agreed. They could do the same with Pete Rose. Tell the story and it's a more interesting place with Rose in the Hall.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2022, 03:58:27 pm »

It comes down to inflated stats. Stats are big in baseball. If it had only made them better but not inflated their stats they might be in by now. Hard for a generation that rewards integrity (just like Shula not respecting BB) to reward guys who cheated to get those stats. The biggest stat of all is home run king and I know plenty of people who do not recognize Bonds as that guy.

I don't recognize Bonds as the Home Run King, but I believe he should be in the HOF.  I think it's disingenuous of the MLB to kind of block these players when they knew what was going on and didn't do anything to stop it because they were trying to get attendance numbers back up.  Now the MLB will say they don't have any control over Cooperstown, and that it's not part of the MLB, but that's BS.  If Cooperstown were to put Rose in then they would withhold artifacts or do something to punish them.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2022, 04:12:24 pm »

I don't recognize Bonds as the Home Run King, but I believe he should be in the HOF.  I think it's disingenuous of the MLB to kind of block these players when they knew what was going on and didn't do anything to stop it because they were trying to get attendance numbers back up.  Now the MLB will say they don't have any control over Cooperstown, and that it's not part of the MLB, but that's BS.  If Cooperstown were to put Rose in then they would withhold artifacts or do something to punish them.

It's not the league blocking them, it's the sportswriters who get the votes. Many of them are pompous assholes who make me think the whole system needs to be overhauled. Mariano Rivera was the 1st ever unanimous selection to the Hall and it was deserved. However, because Babe Ruth was not unanimous, some writers believe no one should be, this is why Derek Jeter was not unanimous, missed by 1 vote. 6 people didn't vote for Nolan Ryan. 9 didn't vote for Hank Aaron.

It's a joke but something like this won't change the format as that would put the spotlight on MLB for ignoring steroids in the first place.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2022, 05:04:14 pm »

So, put them in there and tell the story about juicing.  It's part of the sport.  Make it part of the narrative.
I don't have an issue with that. Bonds was a beast way before he found steroids. He just didn't hit the ball as far. He's always been a very tough out going back to his Pittsburgh days.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2022, 08:06:00 pm »

I don't have an issue with that. Bonds was a beast way before he found steroids. He just didn't hit the ball as far. He's always been a very tough out going back to his Pittsburgh days.

Guy had some years with an OBP around .470 and that was before steroids. Dude was basically a coin flip on whether or not he would make an out. Seriously amazing player before he doubled in size.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2022, 10:30:11 am »

Guy had some years with an OBP around .470 and that was before steroids. Dude was basically a coin flip on whether or not he would make an out. Seriously amazing player before he doubled in size.
I loved the battle between he and the great Braves pitchers of the 90s. Bonds and Bonilla would give us fits ... especially in the playoffs.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2022, 11:08:56 am »

I loved the battle between he and the great Braves pitchers of the 90s. Bonds and Bonilla would give us fits ... especially in the playoffs.

I was actually a Braves fan back then for a few years and I remember those great NLCS battles. Sid Bream crossing over to Atlanta and scoring the winning run because Barry Bonds could do everything but throw the ball.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray