Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:22:17 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Brian Flores out as head coach
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Brian Flores out as head coach  (Read 4138 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2022, 10:03:01 am »

I'm shocked he actually pulled the trigger.
Me as well.

Either way, NO MORE FIRST TIME HEAD COACHES!!
I second this. Get someone with some experience and can hit the ground running and not take 3 years to figure out how to head coach.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2022, 10:03:53 am »

Flores's optimal level of competence appears to be DC.  He runs a hell of a defensive scheme.  Unfortunately that doesn't always translate to HC material.  He would need a stud OC to have the necessary ingredients for winning big in the NFL, and I'm not sure he has the stature to command one in hire, given his mediocre performance and the fact that he's already hired and fired several in only three years.

However, the far bigger problem with this team in my opinion is its level of talent.  At this point there is no evidence that the bevy of draft picks the team wisely acquired as part of the rebuild will pan out to anything more than an average team.  Grier has done a fine job in acquiring those picks, but so far not a fine job in using them.

There is evidence suggesting that drafting players in the NFL is largely random, but one would think that with the number of draft picks this team has acquired, it would've drafted at least a single difference-maker.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2022, 10:18:41 am »

I'm surprised Ross did this. I'm ok with it generally. I don't think Flores was a very good coach.

Grier i'm ok with .. he's done generally ok with draft picks .. this year he picked 3 legit studs, waddle, holland and phillips
DenverFinFan
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2022, 10:20:25 am »

Wow I was not expecting this.

I think it’s for the best.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2022, 10:24:27 am »

Flores's optimal level of competence appears to be DC.  He runs a hell of a defensive scheme.  Unfortunately that doesn't always translate to HC material.

This happens a lot in both college and the NFL.   Some guys excel at being position coaches but aren't cut out to be coordinators.   Some guys excel at being coordinators but aren't cut out to be head coaches.

I'm sure if and when Josh McDaniels gets a second crack at a head coaching gig, he will have Flores on speed dial.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2022, 10:30:25 am »

His inability to get the team ready for big games was the worst part. 2 years in a row our season ended in massacres where we didn't have a chance. 7 straight losses?

In the end, it looks like it was a power struggle with the GM and Ross chose the GM, which is bad because it means this decision wasn't based solely on the job Flores did, rather what Grier wanted. I sincerely hope we get Harbaugh because he won't come aboard without GM powers too. We can't keep Grier or let him pick another coach who is no threat to him.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2022, 10:34:06 am »

Everyone is upset about this on Reddit and I'm so glad.

Flores just isn't a good coach.  He was flustered a lot.  He coaches to an older style of football and the NFL has moved on.  Our biggest mistake was not firing him after the Jacksonville game, when it was obvious that it was his time to go.

I drink your milkshake!
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2022, 10:47:00 am »

More comes out every few minutes, apparently it was Flores that was the driving force behind Watson. The guy never got behind Tua and sabotaged him at every turn between benching him in his rookie season while on a winning streak to never playing the best RB behind him to the Watson stuff. That's a fireable offense on it's own.

I am very excited to have Tua to have a good offseason with hopefully a real HC, OC and O-Line coach. Most important decisions we can make for the success of this franchise.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2022, 10:55:11 am »

^ Where are you seeing that reported?

I drink your milkshake!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2022, 10:59:07 am »

There is evidence suggesting that drafting players in the NFL is largely random, but one would think that with the number of draft picks this team has acquired, it would've drafted at least a single difference-maker.
You don't think Waddle is a difference maker? You don't think Jevon Holland is a difference maker? You don't think Tua is a difference maker? You don't think Christian Wilkens is a difference maker? You don't think Mike Gesicki is a difference maker? You don't think Jaelen Phillips is a difference maker? You don't think Minkah Fitzpatrick is a difference maker? (Not Grier's fault he is no longer on the team).

Now I'm not saying those guys are all pro bowlers in the making, but I think all of them have shown a lot of potential and they are definitely difference makers. For as many picks as they have had, is that a good number? I don't know. Probably not, but I think the biggest place they have missed is on the offensive line and I don't think it's a lack of talent there, I think it's a lack of coaching. I think this offensive line could be decent to pretty good with a good offensive line coach. I don't think they have had one around here the entire time that Flores has been the head coach. I'd like to see someone else come in and see if they can turn those guys into difference makers.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 11:06:02 am by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
BeanCounter

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2022, 11:05:57 am »

Should have fired Grier too.
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2022, 11:06:02 am »

Now I'm not saying those guys are all pro bowlers in the making, but I think all of them have shown a lot of potential and they are definitely difference makers. For as many picks as they have had, is that a good number? I don't know. Probably not, but I think the biggest place they have missed is on the offensive line and I don't think it's a lack of talent there, I think it's a lack of coaching. I think this offensive line could be decent to pretty good with a good offensive line coach. I don't think they have had one around here the entire time that Flores has been the head coach. I'd like to see someone else come in and see if they can turn those guys into difference makers.
Agreed. this OL has been shit for many years.  Is it coaching? is lack of talen on the line?  I think it's a little bit of both, but lean more that it's talent.  Until this OL get fixed and have consistent play from them, Miami will continue to flounder with this offense executing the way it wants to with RPO and pushing the ball down the field.

I'd rather be lucky than good.
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2022, 11:09:44 am »

I didn't realise there had been this much hate for Flores.  Granted, he's not all-world, and I understand that some Coords have ceiling limits but i think the guys played hard for him.

Also, really good HC's need to start somewhere, whether it be a Coord or position coach.  They just don't pop out of mid-air.

I think he's undermined by Grier who needs to go ASAP. Hopefully, a new coach will ask that Grier be not retained if he's hired. 

I'd rather be lucky than good.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2022, 11:10:28 am »

More comes out every few minutes, apparently it was Flores that was the driving force behind Watson. The guy never got behind Tua and sabotaged him at every turn between benching him in his rookie season while on a winning streak to never playing the best RB behind him to the Watson stuff. That's a fireable offense on it's own.

Be careful how much of that you believe, Dolphins are going to leak every bad decision made in the last 3 years was made by Flores and Flores alone while every good decision was Grier. Next up Flores was opposed to drafting Waddle but Grier overruled him

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2022, 11:11:59 am »

You don't think Waddle is a difference maker? You don't think Jevon Holland is a difference maker? You don't think Tua is a difference maker? You don't think Christian Wilkens is a difference maker? You don't think Mike Gesicki is a difference maker? You don't think Jaelen Phillips is a difference maker? You don't think Minkah Fitzpatrick is a difference maker? (Not Grier's fault he is no longer on the team).

I don't think any of them are difference-makers, no.  I think they all play at roughly the average level at this point.  Some of them may develop to become difference-makers, however.

If they were difference-makers now, there would be a "difference" between this team and an average one, and there isn't.  In fact when you go beyond record alone and look at the strongest predictors of winning in the league, the team is below average.  They would be underdogs against every playoff team in either conference.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray