Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:27:20 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Who Are Coaching Candidates?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print
Author Topic: Who Are Coaching Candidates?  (Read 7100 times)
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2022, 03:37:57 pm »

Any reason Lslie Frazier isn't getting more attention? His defenses are great and he did have a winning seaosn in Minnesota despite having trash QBs every year. Not saying he should be the frontrunner but he should be higher than some of these Coordinators with no prior experience.

If you can get a top quality offensive coordinator, I would not mind giving him a second shot at a head coaching gig.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2022, 04:11:13 pm »

This may be a dumb thing to say, but I'm going to say it.

I don't really care how good of a QB coach a guy is, unless we're bringing him in to be the QB coach.

I get the obvious stuff, like a guy who can recognize talent and help stop bad habits, but a head coach is its own set of managerial skills.  ...the same goes for these play callers.  Unless you're bringing in the guy to call plays, it seems like you're focusing on the wrong stuff.  I want a top down guy who can manage the flow of a game and let his assistants do their stuff.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2022, 05:14:18 pm »

I don't really care how good of a QB coach a guy is, unless we're bringing him in to be the QB coach.

I get the obvious stuff, like a guy who can recognize talent and help stop bad habits, but a head coach is its own set of managerial skills.  ...the same goes for these play callers.  Unless you're bringing in the guy to call plays, it seems like you're focusing on the wrong stuff.  I want a top down guy who can manage the flow of a game and let his assistants do their stuff.
I think a guy who is good at both ... meaning both management of personalities and offensive minded coach. In the same way Flores created his defense with Josh Boyer a great offensive coach can mentor and byuild his offense. Heck ... Andy Reid still calls plays. The key is finding coaches to fill in for your weaknesses.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2022, 09:29:59 am »

I get the obvious stuff, like a guy who can recognize talent and help stop bad habits, but a head coach is its own set of managerial skills.  ...the same goes for these play callers.  Unless you're bringing in the guy to call plays, it seems like you're focusing on the wrong stuff.  I want a top down guy who can manage the flow of a game and let his assistants do their stuff.

Whether someone will be promoted to his level of incompetence is certainly a concern.  The way you get around that to some degree in my opinion is by hiring the best OC available and making him the HC who calls his own plays.  That way you focus on 1) the most important part of the game (offense), and 2) having the new HC do something very important he's already proven he can do well (calling plays).  That way you get the benefit of what he's already competent to do, in the most important area of the game, and so it may mitigate whatever he proves himself otherwise insufficiently competent to do.

Take Andy Reid for example -- he may be incompetent in some areas of his job as a HC for all we know (or maybe he isn't), but when you combine his play-calling with Patrick Mahomes and the other things the team has going for it, those other areas of incompetence may be meaningless.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2022, 11:13:53 am »

The issue with Reid is his urgency and time management seem off -- maybe that has to do with calling plays.  He doesn't have enough jobs to do both call the plays and evaluate all the other stuff.

I drink your milkshake!
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2022, 11:20:15 am »

The issue with Reid is his urgency and time management seem off -- maybe that has to do with calling plays.  He doesn't have enough jobs to do both call the plays and evaluate all the other stuff.

Reid was basically the worst clock manager in the history of the playoffs. I think you could find YouTube compilations of his incompetence. He must have delegated that to someone else in recent years, hence the success.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2022, 01:07:47 pm »

Giants requested to interview Flores who is high on their list. As of now, Daboll and Flores are 1 and 2 for the Giants. If the Giants make the Bills' Assistant GM their GM, then I would imagine Daboll would be hired.

Either way, lots of interviews in the league and no hires yet. I think that's because so many candidates are still in the playoffs. By Monday or Tuesday, we should have our first hires unless someone falls in love with Dan Quinn or Flores.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2022, 01:27:21 pm »

Giants requested to interview Flores who is high on their list. As of now, Daboll and Flores are 1 and 2 for the Giants. If the Giants make the Bills' Assistant GM their GM, then I would imagine Daboll would be hired.

Either way, lots of interviews in the league and no hires yet. I think that's because so many candidates are still in the playoffs. By Monday or Tuesday, we should have our first hires unless someone falls in love with Dan Quinn or Flores.
Peter King named big reasons why someone wouldn't hire Flores and it pretty much had to do with staff. In three years he never developed an offensive staff that was decent. 4 OCs. 3 OL coaches and 2 assistant OL coaches. I think he should have been fired for having co-coordinators with the QB coach calling plays. SMH

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2022, 01:28:53 pm »

They changed the rules this year to allow assistant coaches whose teams are in the playoffs to have a shot at interviews.   That distracts said assistant coach from preparing his game plan and being 100% focused.

IMO, they should not allow any interviews/hires until after the Super Bowl.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2022, 01:42:01 pm »

They changed the rules this year to allow assistant coaches whose teams are in the playoffs to have a shot at interviews.   That distracts said assistant coach from preparing his game plan and being 100% focused.

I didn't think that was an official rule, I just thought the teams themselves would say no so they could focus on the playoffs. I agree with you, as a player I would be upset if my OC wasn't focused 100% on my game because he is trying to work for the enemy.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #100 on: January 21, 2022, 01:44:03 pm »

Peter King named big reasons why someone wouldn't hire Flores and it pretty much had to do with staff. In three years he never developed an offensive staff that was decent. 4 OCs. 3 OL coaches and 2 assistant OL coaches. I think he should have been fired for having co-coordinators with the QB coach calling plays. SMH

Oh, 100%. When the dust settles, he might be one of the all-time worst when it comes to hiring staff for this franchise. Thing is, that's why I say I think there is a lot of talent on this team and the right coaching can make us division contenders very quickly. We went 9-8 with the aforementioned 2 OC's who didn't even call their own plays for some parts of the year. Abysmal O-Line coaching too. Get a good staff and we can add 3 wins.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2022, 03:39:22 pm »

I'm not buying it. They are doing meetings online and it doesn't take a ton of research to sell yourself and your accomplishments. If you think anyone on these teams are not doing anything but focusing on football you are sadly mistaken. If we're talking about the Bills coaches they already know our team and any other they've played better than most of us.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2022, 04:16:45 pm »

I'm not buying it. They are doing meetings online and it doesn't take a ton of research to sell yourself and your accomplishments. If you think anyone on these teams are not doing anything but focusing on football you are sadly mistaken. If we're talking about the Bills coaches they already know our team and any other they've played better than most of us.

Well, what is the schedule for coaches for the playoffs? I imagine it is basically 24/7 when your season is on the line. So, even remotely, spending 4 hours before midnight is important. I'm not saying they can't prepare but they are taking time away from preparing to try to work for another football team. Gotta be some negative efefcts to that, even if not Erath shattering.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2022, 01:51:17 pm »

I think the first name to drop is Brian Daboll. Giants have him in for a 2nd interview and they are likely to hire Biffalo's currest Assistant GM as their GM, so it all fits nicely. Bears are hot on him too but the Giants appear to be the frontrunner.

I think we are in better shape than both of those teams so if we don't get Daboll either we didn't really want him or he rejected us.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2022, 02:43:08 pm »

I think the first name to drop is Brian Daboll. Giants have him in for a 2nd interview and they are likely to hire Biffalo's currest Assistant GM as their GM, so it all fits nicely. Bears are hot on him too but the Giants appear to be the frontrunner.

I think we are in better shape than both of those teams so if we don't get Daboll either we didn't really want him or he rejected us.
Can I just say at this point I don't trust Grier or Ross to decide.

Joe Rose NEVER discusses inside information he gets from inside the organization. Remember Dan Marino is his best friend let alone others in the organization. Well I think he slipped up today. He was saying people in the organization think we are close to being a championship team and disagree with him on how far we are away on offense ... meaning how basically everything needs to be upgraded from O-line, WRs, Rbs and even QB. If they aren't making a big run at Daboll or don't want him because he disagrees then they will scare off most legitimate coaches too. Being a dolphins fan is like being stuck in purgatory. We have memories of better times but they will never happen again.  

Josh Allen said “I think teams would be foolish not to offer Brian Daboll a job,” Allen said, via Alaina Getzenberg of ESPN. “I’m praying they don’t, because I want him back here, but I love him and his family too much to really think that. I think he’s one of the best coaches in the league.”
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 02:51:09 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray