Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:11:24 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Ross is the real problem.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ross is the real problem.  (Read 921 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« on: January 10, 2022, 01:07:22 pm »

I think he means well and really does want to win, but he's not really made a full commitment to the team. Until he does, Miami will have the problems it has now.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/01/10/absentee-ownership-directly-contributes-to-weird-outcomes-like-the-firing-of-brian-flores/

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 01:10:08 pm »

I don't think firing Flores is weird.  It's just weird timing.  If you knew he was gone after the Jacksonville game, they probably should've done it then and nobody would've questioned him.  A miraculous run just makes it look kinda weird, but if you look at the guy's record, plus just watching this team, it's totally justified.

I've never watched a team that won games where I've still been pissed off the whole time.  It's the least convincing winning ever.

Even yesterday, Flores burned 4 timeouts (maybe Tua was one of them) on nothing -- just being unprepared or getting caught off-guard.  And this man punted on 4th and inches in a meaningless game.

Flores was done weeks ago.

I drink your milkshake!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 01:18:56 pm »

Oh I don't have any problem with firing Flores, I just think that Ross is a bad owner. He doesn't have an NFL mind. He's not there on a daily basis to watch over what goes on and make decisions. He just hires a guy like Grier to be the GM and then does whatever Grier says. He has opinions I'm sure but I don't think they really lead to anything. He hires the coach and the GM and then says "OK boys, make it work" and walks away. That's not a good owner and I think it is at least part of the reason that Miami hasn't been successful since he took over. I kind of felt that way about Huizenga as well. Nice guy, not a great owner. The Dolphins could have success, but it will be blind luck in my opinion, not because Ross has any great insight into hiring GM's or Head coaches. What he ought to do is go talk to someone like Jimmy Johnson and have him help with a GM/Coach search. I trust that guy's instincts.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 01:31:09 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 03:37:07 pm »

The only thing that makes for a good owner is winning. Otherwise he either interferes too much or he's an absentee owner. There is no middle ground.

Personally, I think Ross is fine. He may be getting a bit desperate with advanced age and wanting to win, but that's understandable. I would hate if he were driving force behind e.g. acquiring Watson. That would be the kind of meddling owner I wouldn't want. Hire the GM / Football Operations guy or whatever, and keep your mitts off.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2022, 03:51:49 pm »

I now believe Ross is a major problem for the Dolphins.  I know he's done some bonehead things in the past as a newer owner, but firing a winning coach and then giving a statement that basically says you have no confidence in your starting QB is the worst.  The players are going to turn on ownership.  Sad day IMO.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 06:38:11 pm by masterfins » Logged
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 03:55:01 pm »

The only thing that makes for a good owner is winning. Otherwise he either interferes too much or he's an absentee owner. There is no middle ground.
They used to say that about Jerry Jones, but there are those that believe that at least Jerry Jones is doing everything he can to try to produce a winning product on the field. I think some people have come around on Jerry and actually appreciate him much more than a guy like Ross. I know I would prefer to have Jerry Jones as the owner of the Dolphins than Ross.

Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2022, 12:36:45 am »

I think the offseason may really show just how good or how toxic Ross' ownership of the team is.

I've heard enough times that he's willing to spend anything it takes to win... yet his tenure consists of three rookie coaches, and with a few exceptions support staff right out of the discount bin.

Then there's the "draft to be cheaper at the position you're already strong at" strategy that I always associated with Aponte & Ireland, but still seems to be there.

So yes, he's spent money on Hard Rock Stadium (arguably, that's probably just to maintain Superbowl and other major event hosting capabilities) but he's overdue to spend real money on the team. Spend as much as it takes to get a top head coach. The coaching assistants. Retaining X was a good move, but get out the wallet again for Gesicki.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2022, 09:29:53 am »

Spend as much as it takes to get a top head coach. The coaching assistants.
The problem isn't the money, Ross will give them whatever they want the problem is that none of the top head coaches want to come to Miami no matter how much cash they give them. Some of that might be because Grier is the GM. Might be time to let the head coach pick his GM and not vice versa.

ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2022, 09:43:55 am »

Some of that might be because Grier is the GM.

And some of it might be because Ross is a complete disaster when it comes to effective ownership.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2022, 09:46:18 am »

And some of it might be because Ross is a complete disaster when it comes to effective ownership.
But not because he's not willing to part with his money. I have no problem with Ross in that regard and if you think coaches aren't willing to come to Miami because there's an absentee owner, I think you need to rethink that, that's a head coaches wet dream.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 09:48:07 am by Pappy13 » Logged

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2022, 02:26:37 pm »

It's only weird because we aren't on the inside. We are looking in from the outside where we can only see what they want us to. If Flores is as difficult and power hungry as they are alluding to then I'd have fired him too.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2022, 02:40:12 pm »

The stories coming out make me like Grier more.

I think there's a lot to be said for being easy to work with.

Also, I don't fault a GM for picking the wrong guy when common knowledge had these guys going one after the other....so whether you pick Tua or Herbert -- who cares?  Nobody really knows.  It's a coin flip.

Also Grier has the support of Tom Garfinkel and I'm fully 100% in the tank for Tom Garfinkel.  That guy rocks.

I don't like when GMs don't work with value (like when some bozo reached into the first round for Tim Tebow).  I don't like it when GMs don't use their picks for what's appropriate for the team they're on (like when we drafted Jamar Fletcher while having the two best corners in the league already and no QB).  And I think a lot of the GM stuff has to do with making the choice about what to address...but you can't really (or you shouldn't really) blame a GM for which players are good or bad.  It's about assessing risk.

I look at this roster and I don't think we're losing because our GM sucks.

Our line is atrocious, but the guy addressed the line.  He put reasonable picks towards that problem based on the same information that we all had.  It's not like he tried to patch-work it with bums.  He addressed QB.  He addressed WR.  We addressed TE.

There's more to be done, but we have a stellar defense and I feel like we have the building blocks, roster-wise to be competitive.

IMO, we're a lineman and a WR away, paired with a coach that can utilize them, from being in the conversation.

I drink your milkshake!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2022, 03:01:46 pm »

The stories coming out make me like Grier more.
And Flores less.

I think there's a lot to be said for being easy to work with.
I agree. You all have to be working for the same goals, it's not an individual thing.

Also, I don't fault a GM for picking the wrong guy when common knowledge had these guys going one after the other....so whether you pick Tua or Herbert -- who cares?  Nobody really knows.  It's a coin flip.
Agreed. It sounded at first like the Tua pick was a Grier decision, but this says otherwise that they both agreed, in that case it's up to Flores to get the most out of Tua that he can get.

I look at this roster and I don't think we're losing because our GM sucks.
Agreed. Some good some bad, just like pretty much all GM's.

Our line is atrocious, but the guy addressed the line.  He put reasonable picks towards that problem based on the same information that we all had.  
Agreed. His biggest misses have been with the offensive line, but pretty much all the picks were pretty much what the consensus on the player was, none of them were really reaches in my opinion, so I put this more on the offensive line coaching they've got since they've been with Miami. Someone needs to clean that up and the offensive line will at least be serviceable.

There's more to be done, but we have a stellar defense and I feel like we have the building blocks, roster-wise to be competitive.

IMO, we're a lineman and a WR away, paired with a coach that can utilize them, from being in the conversation.
I'd say we also need a stud middle linebacker to help in the run game, but the rest is pretty solid especially the way that Duke has run the ball the last couple of games. There's enough talent on the offense to be competitive in the right system. The RPO can be a part of that, but it can't be the only thing. There needs to be a healthy dose of drop back passing mixed in.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 03:04:41 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray