Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:37:04 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  What to focus on in the off-season.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What to focus on in the off-season.  (Read 757 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: January 10, 2022, 02:58:46 pm »

1. Get a forward-thinking coach that wants to run an NFL style offense and produce plays in the direction of the other team's endzone.  Not punting on 3rd down is a bonus.

2. Lock down Mike Gesicki

3. Get a stretch-the-field WR to move Parker to WR #3.

4. Find (maybe a FA) an elite replacement for Jesse Davis.

I drink your milkshake!
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 03:11:25 pm »

Make the offensive line competent for chrissakes.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 03:19:36 pm »

Either by Trade or draft pick get two WR's and a RB, all of which that can be relied upon every week.

Try to find a competent OL coach, maybe hit up the college ranks.

and, I hate to say it, but find a competent play caller for the offense.  I hate to make yet another change in this area, but last years' experiment was a prime reason for the losing streak and not making the playoffs.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 03:30:12 pm »

After getting a head coach, I'd prioritize getting the best damn offensive line coach in the league and just having Ross back up the Brink's truck. They did it somewhat backwards when Flores took over; Flores (and the OC) decided on how they wanted the line to be run, scheme and everything, and then brought in line coach with no experience doing that and Flores fired him in the middle of training camp after not being able to get it to work AT ALL. This time, have the ELITE offensive line coach be part of the conversations from the beginning or at least get someone who has experience with the scheme you want to implement.

I want stability on the coaching front. You'd think getting a new coach would do that, but we've never had more changes on the offensive side than AFTER Flores took over. Maybe that comes of hiring a rookie who needs to find himself, but historically this sort of thing makes for a garbage offense.

In terms of players, I'd want to go for one of the major free agent offensive linemen. Maybe get someone in the draft as well. A huge running back and a big target receiver would nice additions, addressed in the draft.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 03:32:32 pm by fyo » Logged
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2022, 03:56:54 pm »

Finding a coach with head coaching experience and perferably some success at it. I believe the last head coach that Miami had with head coaching experience prior to Miami was the last time we won a playoff game.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 04:43:09 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 06:15:09 pm »

Everything done in the offseason should be geared toward improving the pass offense.

1) Hire an offensive-minded head coach.  My choice would be Eric Bieniemy.

2) Hire an OC who has been an understudy to one of the brilliant offensive minds in the game (Reid, McVay, Payton, etc.).

3) Improve the offensive line.

4) Improve the receiving corps.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 07:06:56 pm »

While I wouldn't be opposed to Eric Bieniemy per se, hiring the offensive coordinator of an All-Pro QB to a first-time head coaching job has a poor record in general, but a terrible record at the Dolphins in particular.  It's entirely possible that Joe Philbin and Adam Gase are a big reason why Bieniemy hasn't received any HC offers yet.

Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2022, 12:17:29 am »

First up would be a (preferably experienced) offense-minded Head Coach who has a history of working successfully with young QBs.

Probably as important is a top offensive line coach to sort out that mess. The philosophy of go cheap and often for the OL is fine, but the way that Kindley and Jackson went backwards this year is alarming. If someone can get those two back in form, then along with Hunt that's half of our OL battle done.

Sign up Gesicki. Like I said elsewhere, if we're still stuck in the "drafted Hunter Long to replace you because he's cheaper" mindset, then we're going nowhere.

Re-sign Johnson and Lindsay - they proved to be good RB options in their short time here, and at least gives us something to start with next season and takes some pressure off addressing this position at the draft.

Depending on who is there, if a top WR is available at the draft to pair with Waddle, I'd grab them. Fuller didn't work out, Parker is... well as fragile as ever.

I still think we need a stud LB in the middle of the defense after ignoring the position at the last draft. Losing Raekwon Davis to injury obviously didn't help our cause.
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2022, 09:13:20 am »

While I wouldn't be opposed to Eric Bieniemy per se, hiring the offensive coordinator of an All-Pro QB to a first-time head coaching job has a poor record in general, but a terrible record at the Dolphins in particular.  It's entirely possible that Joe Philbin and Adam Gase are a big reason why Bieniemy hasn't received any HC offers yet.

There would have to be a significant difference between the success rate of those kinds of HCs and other kinds of HCs -- with sample size considered -- for that to be attributable to their history of being OCs of all-pro QBs.  Without that we have to default to the explanation that those HCs are simply coming from the same distribution of HCs without such backgrounds, in which the success rate is also meager.
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2022, 06:10:24 pm »

How to deal with another nauseating Super Bowl victory by a team quarterbacked by Tom Brady

All that's left to happen is

1) Completing a Hail Mary

2) The other team fumbling in victory formation

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray