Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:16:30 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Stephen Ross Media availability question/answer session
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Stephen Ross Media availability question/answer session  (Read 999 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« on: January 10, 2022, 05:03:45 pm »

Interesting. I thought his answer about collaboration was telling. Obviously Flores and Grier were not on the same page, maybe about multiple things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlVzEb7tSoY&t=38s
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 05:11:42 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 05:07:17 pm »

I don't know what the disagreements were about but I have two guesses: Tua and the 2021 draft. Flores obviously didn't want Tua from Day 1 and I'm just guessing he wasn't happy with all the shuffling that at the end of the day will probably get us a NET 2023 2nd Rounder for moving back 3 spots.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 05:13:07 pm »

I don't know what the disagreements were about but I have two guesses: Tua and the 2021 draft. Flores obviously didn't want Tua from Day 1 and I'm just guessing he wasn't happy with all the shuffling that at the end of the day will probably get us a NET 2023 2nd Rounder for moving back 3 spots.
Does that mean you think Tua was Grier's choice alone or did he convince Flores after discussion. Do you think Ross had something to do with that decision?

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 05:23:40 pm »

Does that mean you think Tua was Grier's choice alone or did he convince Flores after discussion. Do you think Ross had something to do with that decision?

I don't even know anymore, the Ross press conference today destroyed my high from the Flores firing. The way Flores treated Tua in the first year tells me he never wanted him. Maybe he wanted Herbert? Maybe he wanted to keep Fitz and just draft players for him? I don't know but I think now that Grier wanted Tua, Flores didn't and Ross doesn't know anything about football and probably wanted to trade for Peyton Manning.

Not backing your supposed franchise QB after 23 games despite sabotaging him at every turn is nothing but a scumbag move from a bad owner. This isn't a Josh Rosen situation over here. He's definitely had some good games and worthy of being named Week 1 starter in 2022 while management puts some decent people around him. Just as a matter of practicality, there are no other options but a guy up on rape charges who hasn't played in a year that will cost years of draft picks and cap space to acquire. There are no options, it's Tua for 2022. Figure it out after that if he doesn't succeed.
BeanCounter

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2022, 05:24:19 pm »

Sounds like Ross wants someone who kisses Grier’s ass and is willing to stake their career on Grier’s ability to build a winning team.  Good luck getting any experienced coach willing to do that.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 05:35:41 pm »

Grier made some good moves, made some bad moves and made some moves that I can defend if we're being honest. Drafting Noah was a disaster from Day 1. The whole Niners trade was terrible and looks even worse now. However, I can't shit on all his picks until he gets a better coach and assistants. For the 10 Millionth time, you don't have O-Line guys go from solid starters, promising rookies and very good college tackles to being absolute dogshit or not even on the field in a matter of one season. That's absolutely insane, they didn't forget how to play football. We had a new O-Line formation for the first 8 weeks, no consistency.

Playing Jesse Davis at Right Tackle instead of Robert Hunt was a terrible idea and a Flores call. I put almost all the O-Line blame on Flores and his staff, not Grier. I don't like Grier and think he should be fired too, but he is not the worst GM in the league by a mile. He just has the owner's ear and that makes him dangerous.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 05:41:24 pm »

I don't even know anymore, the Ross press conference today destroyed my high from the Flores firing.
Yeah me too but for different reasons because I assumed that Grier and Flores would both be out and Ross would find someone to replace both of them. Now it seems that Ross is clearly backing Grier and that Grier and Flores might have had a disagreement about who to take at QB and it might have been Flores that was wanting to go in another direction and Grier insisting upon Tua. If that's the case then I think they got rid of the wrong one because I too had serious doubts about taking Tua. Now I still blame Flores for not ensuring they got whomever he wanted, but if he wasn't buying into the whole RPO thing and wanted to change that but couldn't because he was given Tua, then I feel bad for Flores. That's a tough situation to be placed into and Grier should be taking the heat for that decision, not Flores if that is in fact what happened.

Let's put it this way, it's possible that if the Dolphins don't select Tua but rather take Herbert, they might have also taken someone other than Waddle, I felt Waddle was the pick partially because of the Tua pick. Perhaps Flores wasn't in on either choice? I sure hope that wasn't the case, but if it was Flores got a raw deal in my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 05:46:16 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2022, 05:56:49 pm »

They are saying that although Grier was the Boss that flores ran the picks and player movement but it was more than Flores and Grier not getting along. Flores didn't have much of a relationship with Ross and constantly had issues with staff and other people throughout the organization. Sounds like he is a control freak beyond the normal contraol freak NFL coach.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
BeanCounter

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2022, 06:04:22 pm »

Last time the Dolphins had an offensive line ranked in the top half of the league was the 2009 season (six head coaches and three GM’s ago).
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2022, 06:28:51 pm »

They are saying that although Grier was the Boss that flores ran the picks and player movement but it was more than Flores and Grier not getting along. Flores didn't have much of a relationship with Ross and constantly had issues with staff and other people throughout the organization. Sounds like he is a control freak beyond the normal contraol freak NFL coach.

The problem with Ross, and I've ignored it for years, is that Ross is never in Florida except for game days; where he sits watching the games with Grier.  Flores is busy coaching the team, while Grier sits with Ross taking credit for the positives and putting the blame for anything bad on Flores.  The more I think/read/listen this firing is about Grier kissing Ross' ass and securing his own job.  Grier F'ed up drafting Tua over Herbert and he's thrown Flores under the bus to cover that up.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2022, 06:51:23 pm »

The problem with Ross, and I've ignored it for years, is that Ross is never in Florida except for game days; where he sits watching the games with Grier.  Flores is busy coaching the team, while Grier sits with Ross taking credit for the positives and putting the blame for anything bad on Flores.  The more I think/read/listen this firing is about Grier kissing Ross' ass and securing his own job.  Grier F'ed up drafting Tua over Herbert and he's thrown Flores under the bus to cover that up.
LOL ... Ross isn't as absentee as you might think and he and Grier's relationship isn't held inside of a box.  Plenty of others are in on the inside with Ross like Dan Marino, Nat Moore, Tom Garfinkel and many others. 

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2022, 07:06:52 pm »

LOL ... Ross isn't as absentee as you might think and he and Grier's relationship isn't held inside of a box.  Plenty of others are in on the inside with Ross like Dan Marino, Nat Moore, Tom Garfinkel and many others. 

He's extremely absentee by NFL standards, he's rarely in the building.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2022, 07:20:06 pm »

The whole Niners trade was terrible and looks even worse now.
How do you figure?

Are you presuming that Grier would have taken Pitts or Chase instead at 3?  I don't know that that's even true  - he might have just taken Waddle anyway, in which case the SF/PHI trades are free money - but even if he did, do you think Pitts or Chase would have had a better year in this system than Waddle did?  That's certainly far from guaranteed.

The upshot of the SF/PHI trade is that MIA ends up trading down in the 2022 1st from their slot (15) to SF's slot (likely early 20s), and in exchange gets an extra first-rounder from SF next year.  That's a great trade.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2022, 07:31:57 pm »

He's extremely absentee by NFL standards, he's rarely in the building.
So what you're saying is Ross has a great relationship with everyone but Flores because he's gone all the time?

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2022, 10:02:48 pm »

How do you figure?

Are you presuming that Grier would have taken Pitts or Chase instead at 3?  I don't know that that's even true  - he might have just taken Waddle anyway, in which case the SF/PHI trades are free money - but even if he did, do you think Pitts or Chase would have had a better year in this system than Waddle did?  That's certainly far from guaranteed.

The upshot of the SF/PHI trade is that MIA ends up trading down in the 2022 1st from their slot (15) to SF's slot (likely early 20s), and in exchange gets an extra first-rounder from SF next year.  That's a great trade.

We're on the same page.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray