Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:28:13 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  The LOAT retires
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: The LOAT retires  (Read 3539 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2022, 01:12:21 pm »

I think that Brady is the greatest of all-time.  He wasn't the greatest pure passer, but he was able to use his skillset, including his ability to make quick decisions, to make the best of it.

I was on the "system QB train" at the start of his career, but he's done it for so long -- then with another team.  He's still got it and playing at a super high level, even into retirement.

The only argument against calling him the GOAT, IMO, is that the eras are different.  We don't know what Marino would look like in today's NFL, and how the offenses and rules have changed.  It's hard to compare.  Marino was the best guy at throwing the ball that I've ever seen.  But the NFL is a lot more than that, the game is more complex, the positions have changed.  It's a different game.

More power to Brady -- he did it all with the tools he had, he was a good teammate -- he seemed to instill confidence into the players around him, he never lost his confidence -- his teammates responded to that.

You get lucky in a game....maybe a season.  You don't get lucky over a career.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2022, 02:16:19 pm »

I've come to accept the GOAT moniker in the fact he has won more Super Bowls than anyone and more than most teams. If all things could be equal I don't see him being the first QB selected to play.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 04:26:08 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2022, 02:42:59 pm »

I've come to accept the GOAT moniker in the fact he has won more Super Bowls than anyone and more than most teams. If all things could be equal I don't see him being as the first QB selected to play.

Actually all teams.  The Steelers and Patriots are tied at 6.  Brady has 7.  Only person with more superbowl rings than Brady has 8 winning 2 as the DC of the Giants and 6 more with NE.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2022, 03:52:43 pm »

You get lucky in a game....maybe a season.  You don't get lucky over a career.

Sure you do.

If what you are saying is true, do you rank Eli ahead of Marino?

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2022, 07:20:35 pm »

I've come to accept the GOAT moniker in the fact he has won more Super Bowls than anyone and more than most teams.
He has more SB wins than literally every team: PIT and NE have 6, Brady has 7.

There's a strong argument to be made that Brady is the best of all time in any major pro sport, period.
Here are his ranks when he retired:

Career
1st in passing yards, completions, touchdowns
(among non-active players*) 2nd in passer rating, ANY/A, INT%
1st in wins, playoff wins, conference championships, league championships/Super Bowls
3rd in win %

Season
1st in passing completions
2nd in passing TDs
3rd in passing yards

It's basically like combining Bill Russell's titles with Wilt & Kareem's stats.

*I used non-active players because these are efficiency metrics that typically decline at the end of a player's career.

DenverFinFan
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2022, 11:59:00 am »

It isn’t luck or greatness. Brady and the Patriots dynasty is outright fraud. Always has been and always will be. I’m beginning to suspect the NFL is a real as WWE. It’s entertainment disguised as sport.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2022, 09:05:15 am »

It isn’t luck or greatness. Brady and the Patriots dynasty is outright fraud. Always has been and always will be. I’m beginning to suspect the NFL is a real as WWE. It’s entertainment disguised as sport.
While I disagree with you, I'll play devil's advocate on your side for this one.  It was pretty amazing that every single game from the Divisional Round and Championship Round came down to either a last second score or won in OT...almost like it was scripted that way.
DenverFinFan
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2022, 02:36:50 pm »

While I disagree with you, I'll play devil's advocate on your side for this one.  It was pretty amazing that every single game from the Divisional Round and Championship Round came down to either a last second score or won in OT...almost like it was scripted that way.

Yeah it’s hard to believe you get that many breaks that many times no matter how good you are.  The whole thing has always been fishy to me and you combine that with all the cheating scandals and well there’s reason for suspicion. I’m not saying 100 it’s the case but I don’t think it’s that far out there either.

With so much league money being shared between owners, why should they care?
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2022, 03:49:36 pm »

It was pretty amazing that every single game from the Divisional Round and Championship Round came down to either a last second score or won in OT...almost like it was scripted that way.

Small sample size.  And in general you should expect closer games in the post-season than in the regular season.  If the best team in the AFC plays the second best team in the AFC the score should be close.  If the best team in the AFC plays the worst team the the AFC on average the game should be over in the 3rd quarter. 

Granted any give Sunday.  And the worst team can beat the best team in a blow out.  But on average equally matched teams should result in closer games than mismatched teams. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2022, 04:00:42 pm »

If what you are saying is true, do you rank Eli ahead of Marino?

I don't.  But I don't think Eli has had a good a career as Marino, either.  He won some Super Bowls, which is a team accomplishment, but it's not like Eli lit up the league during his time in it.  He was a good, sometimes very good QB.  But he wasn't even the best when he was playing.  Super Bowls matter, but they aren't the only thing.

Brady did it all.  He had numbers, longevity, greatness in the regular season, greatness in the playoffs, comebacks, different teams, different core teammates ....everything.

I drink your milkshake!
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2022, 08:22:44 pm »

Brady just pulled a Brett Favre stunt and un-retired today.   The Bucs chances of winning the Super Bowl went from slim to highly likely.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2022, 04:15:07 pm »

Brady just pulled a Brett Favre stunt and un-retired today.   The Bucs chances of winning the Super Bowl went from slim to highly likely.
Gas prices went so high even he had to get back to work.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 05:30:50 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2022, 05:27:04 pm »

He spent two months at home with his family and said, "Put me back in, coach."

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2022, 07:03:55 pm »

I still cringe when I think of last year’s playoffs.  To think, we were one amazing play by Matthew stafford and cooper Kupp away from his eighth nauseating Super Bowl victory. 

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2022, 09:22:00 pm »

I still cringe when I think of last year’s playoffs.  To think, we were one amazing play by Matthew stafford and cooper Kupp away from his eighth nauseating Super Bowl victory. 

I guess he's not the LOAT after all.  Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray