Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:36:55 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Miami Dolphins Cap Space and Moves
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 Print
Author Topic: Miami Dolphins Cap Space and Moves  (Read 16899 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #210 on: April 12, 2022, 01:41:04 pm »

Just want to say that JC Tretter is still somehow a free agent and hoping we get him at a below market deal.

Are teams scared away because he is President of the NFLPA and they don't want him talking to their players about contracts and stuff? I just don't see why he is still available.

Don't really know where to put this but since he is still on my Miami wishlist, maybe here. JC Tretter, who is the Head of the NFLPA, is pushing the players and agents to get more guaranteed money and years. Unless he wants to be the highest paid Center in the league, it's hard for me to see how he is still a free agent and not connect it with him making these comments as the NFLPA President. I'm thinking the owners don't want him to be a "bad influence" on the other players.

Maybe I'm wrong and he signs with some other team for top dollar tomorrow, but it is perplexing how he is still available.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #211 on: April 14, 2022, 09:04:13 pm »

Don't really know where to put this but since he is still on my Miami wishlist, maybe here. JC Tretter, who is the Head of the NFLPA, is pushing the players and agents to get more guaranteed money and years. Unless he wants to be the highest paid Center in the league, it's hard for me to see how he is still a free agent and not connect it with him making these comments as the NFLPA President. I'm thinking the owners don't want him to be a "bad influence" on the other players.

Maybe I'm wrong and he signs with some other team for top dollar tomorrow, but it is perplexing how he is still available.

I can only think they have their eye on someone in the draft with our late 3rd round pick, and are waiting it out until after then.

It's either that or Tretter is just asking for way too much guaranteed money - he's somehow lasted this long without putting pen to paper, maybe they think it will still be the case in a few weeks?
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #212 on: April 15, 2022, 08:59:47 am »

I can only think they have their eye on someone in the draft with our late 3rd round pick, and are waiting it out until after then.

It's either that or Tretter is just asking for way too much guaranteed money - he's somehow lasted this long without putting pen to paper, maybe they think it will still be the case in a few weeks?

Once the draft is over, rosters are basically set. Teams usually don't have the cap space or position available to sign one of the best centers in the league so he would have to settle for a 1 or 2 year deal. He knows this so the whole deal seems odd.
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #213 on: April 15, 2022, 12:47:31 pm »

Once the draft is over, rosters are basically set. Teams usually don't have the cap space or position available to sign one of the best centers in the league so he would have to settle for a 1 or 2 year deal. He knows this so the whole deal seems odd.

The draft also impacts the supply and demand dynamics throughout the league.  If a team has drafted a center it believes has ability, it'll be out of the market for the JC Tretters of the world.  So if you're in the market for a JC Tretter, it behooves you to wait until after the draft, when the supply and demand dynamics for players create more of a buyer's market.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #214 on: April 15, 2022, 02:18:06 pm »

The draft also impacts the supply and demand dynamics throughout the league.  If a team has drafted a center it believes has ability, it'll be out of the market for the JC Tretters of the world.  So if you're in the market for a JC Tretter, it behooves you to wait until after the draft, when the supply and demand dynamics for players create more of a buyer's market.

It's a bizarre situation but I'm still hung up on it because he makes us better and in the AFC, you take every opportunity to become better. He won't put us over the hump if we aren't already there, but it's undeniable our O-Line would become a much better unit with him over Deiter at Center. I don't trust Grier, but I can hold off my righteousand whiny anger until this all plays out. I will be pissed though if he signs with someone else for 1 Year/$6 Million.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #215 on: August 29, 2022, 10:04:08 am »

Edge ... just saw this and thought of you. SI and even Tretter himself realizes that his bad press from being the head of the union has cost him.

Does the recent retirement announcement of JC. Tretter explain the reason why we didn't sign him?

Hey Rensek, nope, it’s actually the other way around. Tretter retired because no team showed an interest in signing him this offseason after the Cleveland Browns released him, and he’s probably not wrong when he suggests his role as NFLPA president and his outspokenness about off-the-field issues played a role in that. There’s an interesting story on SI.com about Tretter where he addresses his retirement and a comment he once made that, “My NFLPA job is gonna end my career well before my knees end my career.”

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #216 on: August 29, 2022, 06:06:52 pm »

Edge ... just saw this and thought of you. SI and even Tretter himself realizes that his bad press from being the head of the union has cost him.

Does the recent retirement announcement of JC. Tretter explain the reason why we didn't sign him?

Hey Rensek, nope, it’s actually the other way around. Tretter retired because no team showed an interest in signing him this offseason after the Cleveland Browns released him, and he’s probably not wrong when he suggests his role as NFLPA president and his outspokenness about off-the-field issues played a role in that. There’s an interesting story on SI.com about Tretter where he addresses his retirement and a comment he once made that, “My NFLPA job is gonna end my career well before my knees end my career.”

I mean, there is no other reason at this point. There is an argument to be made for not signing the guy at 3 Years/$30 Million, but not one team wanted one of the best centers on a one year deal? He wouldn't retire if someone offered him 1 year/$5 Million. It's almost impossible to prove but this is collusion.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #217 on: August 29, 2022, 07:16:52 pm »

I mean, there is no other reason at this point. There is an argument to be made for not signing the guy at 3 Years/$30 Million, but not one team wanted one of the best centers on a one year deal? He wouldn't retire if someone offered him 1 year/$5 Million. It's almost impossible to prove but this is collusion.
I think the Brian Flores thing is only going to make things like this worse. Teams aren't wanting people who aren't willing to play along. We all know rules get broken here and there but some people make it more difficult than its worth.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #218 on: August 29, 2022, 07:19:30 pm »

And the cuts begin ...

Running back Sony Michel and wide receiver Mohamed Sanu were released, along with running backs Gerrid Doaks and ZaQuandre White, defensive backs Quincy Wilson and Elijah Hamilton, defensive linemen Owen Carney and Niles Scott and offensive linemen Adam Pankey and Blaise Andries. Linebacker Calvin Munson was placed on injured reserve, while outside linebacker Darius Hodge and defensive back D’Angelo Ross were waived with an injury settlement.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 07:21:17 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #219 on: August 29, 2022, 07:25:36 pm »

Fine with the cuts so far.  That brings the roster down to 67, so I'd expect 15-17 more players on the roster to be gone (14 to make 53, then 1-3 more cuts to pick up castoffs from other teams).

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #220 on: August 29, 2022, 07:31:43 pm »

Fine with the cuts so far.  That brings the roster down to 67, so I'd expect 15-17 more players on the roster to be gone (14 to make 53, then 1-3 more cuts to pick up castoffs from other teams).
That's pretty much what I'm thinking as well. It wouldn't surprise me to see us pick up some more o-line and DB help.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #221 on: August 29, 2022, 07:48:30 pm »

The only players on the bubble that I would be disappointed to lose are Skylar and Ez E.  Everyone else is... whatever.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #222 on: August 30, 2022, 07:59:08 am »

I don't see both Gaskin and Ahmed making it but not sure who gets cut. They just cut Lynn Bowden and I didn't think that was going to happen. I wonder if that is the person Skyler Thompson is costing?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 08:12:13 am by CF DolFan » Logged

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #223 on: August 30, 2022, 08:36:01 am »

Dolphins cut Porter Gustin, Kellen Diesch, and Solomon Kindley. Kindley looked pretty good the other night but obviously overweight. I'm guessing that was his demise.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 08:37:33 am by CF DolFan » Logged

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #224 on: August 30, 2022, 10:04:15 am »

Dolphins cut Porter Gustin, Kellen Diesch, and Solomon Kindley. Kindley looked pretty good the other night but obviously overweight. I'm guessing that was his demise.

What an absolutely bizarre story with Kindley. 4th round rookie does pretty well in his first season, then can't even touch the field in his second season despite the O-Line being horrible. Now, instead of being a cheap backup or competing for a spot, we release him outright. What the hell happened?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray