Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 12:35:54 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Miami Dolphins Cap Space and Moves
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16 Print
Author Topic: Miami Dolphins Cap Space and Moves  (Read 16946 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2022, 08:32:38 am »

Wouldn't he count as a WR for tag purposes?  I believe it's determined by the number of snaps off of the line.

I heard he wanted to fight the TE tag and go as a WR but honestly didn't know the rules. If he qualifies as a WR, then forget the tag. We probably won't use it on anyone then. Probably going to sign some guys on 1 year deals like we did with Fuller then. That was obviously a disaster but I still think it's a good strategy. Bring on Ju Ju, he is looking to rebuild value and seems like a high character guy to boot.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2022, 08:47:43 am »

I don't understand why won't dude just learn to block? It can't be that complicated

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2022, 08:57:07 am »

If he's franchised as a TE it's almost $11 million.  If he's franchised as a WR, it jumps up to $18.5 million.  Depending on how much cap space we have, and it will be the most in the league, we should still franchise tag him imo. 
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2022, 08:58:57 am »

If he's franchised as a TE it's almost $11 million.  If he's franchised as a WR, it jumps up to $18.5 million.  Depending on how much cap space we have, and it will be the most in the league, we should still franchise tag him imo. 

At $18.5 Million, we can absolutely get a better player on offense or anywhere else on the field. Gesicki would sign that before the ink dried if we offered him the WR Franchise Tag.
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2022, 09:20:17 am »

At $18.5 Million, we can absolutely get a better player on offense or anywhere else on the field. Gesicki would sign that before the ink dried if we offered him the WR Franchise Tag.

Cooper Kupp is under a contract in which he averages $15M+ a year.  Tyreek Hill $18M.  Davante Adams $14.5M.

If this team paid Gesicki $18M it would be a travesty.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2022, 09:22:15 am »

It's a one year deal.  Obviously if they could lock up Gesicki on a contract over multiple years it would be a lot less per year.  It's not honest to compare a one year franchise tag to multi year contracts.
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2022, 09:34:20 am »

It's a one year deal.  Obviously if they could lock up Gesicki on a contract over multiple years it would be a lot less per year.  It's not honest to compare a one year franchise tag to multi year contracts.

Under those conditions Gesicki would absorb 8.7% of the team's projected salary cap in 2022, which in terms of 2022 salary cap percentages would put him in the neighborhood of players like Stefon Diggs (8.51%) and Cooper Kupp (8.96%).  Deandre Hopkins will likely lead the league in that regard in 2022, at 11.9%.  Gesicki wouldn't be far behind him.

You would essentially be paying Gesicki as though he's the "alpha" go-to receiver now almost always seen on the teams with the best passing offenses in the league (Diggs, Hopkins, Adams, Kupp, Chase, Hill, Samuel, Evans, etc.).

Is Gesicki really that player?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 09:41:48 am by Dolfanalyst » Logged
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2022, 09:45:27 am »

Cooper Kupp is under a contract in which he averages $15M+ a year.  Tyreek Hill $18M.  Davante Adams $14.5M.

If this team paid Gesicki $18M it would be a travesty.

For $18 Million, we can probably get JuJu and a solid RB.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2022, 02:13:25 pm »

Tweet
See new Tweets
Conversation
Chris Kouffman
@ckparrot
Let's also keep in mind the offense gained 230 first downs on 786 plays when Gesicki was in the game, versus only 69 first downs on 312 plays when he's not.

That drop-off from 29.3% to 22.1% seems pretty significant and it was pretty consistent across all personnel groupings.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2022, 02:39:38 pm »

Tweet
See new Tweets
Conversation
Chris Kouffman
@ckparrot
Let's also keep in mind the offense gained 230 first downs on 786 plays when Gesicki was in the game, versus only 69 first downs on 312 plays when he's not.

That drop-off from 29.3% to 22.1% seems pretty significant and it was pretty consistent across all personnel groupings.

But, was that because Gesicki is great or was that because Gesicki was the only one besides Waddle who was healthy and had a shred of talent so he got the volume?
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2022, 02:52:22 pm »

Tweet
See new Tweets
Conversation
Chris Kouffman
@ckparrot

That involves looking at the Dolphins under a microscope and has insufficient meaning unless we can place it within a league-wide context.  What if for example the teams of the players who are likely to play the position Gesicki does, and get paid what he would, showed a far greater drop-off in performance when those players were off the field?  What that would suggest is that if Gesicki were replaced by someone like them, the team would perform better.

It's real easy to look at the team you root for and "see" talent within it, because you're likely to compare it to the other talent on that team.  What it needs to be compared to is the other talent across the league.  Take a look at how the best teams in the league function, not just how the Dolphins do.

The best teams in the league typically have the best QB/WR combos in the league (Burrow/Chase, Allen/Diggs, Mahomes/Hill, etc.).  I wouldn't shell out a relatively large portion of the salary cap for a WR who's highly unlikely to ever belong in that category.
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2022, 03:00:35 pm »

But, was that because Gesicki is great or was that because Gesicki was the only one besides Waddle who was healthy and had a shred of talent so he got the volume?

My guess is that the finding has everything to do with some other variable(s) and little to do with Gesicki.  Gesicki himself had but 39 first downs in 2021, and it's difficult to determine conceptually how his presence could account for an elevation in first down percentage.  What's far easier to surmise however is that first downs may be situationally more difficult to obtain when Gesicki is off the field.  He's likely to be off the field primarily when the team intends to run the ball, since he's largely a slot receiver who can't block.  Rushing efficiency is far less than passing efficiency in general, and so that alone could explain the difference.
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2022, 09:43:58 am »

https://twitter.com/pff_ryansmith/status/1490764026523131906?s=21
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2022, 10:37:36 am »

If McDaniel is the offensive guru everyone claims, then he knows this and won't even bother resigning Gesicki. Of course, that means we have a lot of work to do in terms of repairing this receiving corps and I hope we aren't counting on Parker to do anything. I think Hunter Long is already out of the picture too.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2022, 11:31:23 am »

If McDaniel is the offensive guru everyone claims, then he knows this and won't even bother resigning Gesicki. Of course, that means we have a lot of work to do in terms of repairing this receiving corps and I hope we aren't counting on Parker to do anything. I think Hunter Long is already out of the picture too.

This is pretty telling.   I think Gesicki is done in Miami.

https://twitter.com/DavidFurones_/status/1496587837159972866
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray