Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:44:33 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Watson to the Browns.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: Watson to the Browns.  (Read 16026 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2022, 03:55:11 pm »

He did not admit to assaulting them, he settled for money to make them go away. Not saying he is innocent, but settling doesn't denote guilt.

Settling doesn't prove criminal liability, but implies acceptance of civil liability.

Very rare someone pays unless there is liability.  Also if his concern was women lining up to make false accusations, settling is a very bad idea as it would encourage others. 

Twenty four women didn't all fabricate rape.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2022, 03:57:20 pm »

To me, this seems the most likely but no way Watson and the NFLPA don't fight this, maybe even beyond Goodell if he upholds it. It's a loss of tens of millions and a year off the field for no convictions.
It's a loss of exactly $1,035,000.

Watson's contract with the Browns was written specifically to account for a potential suspension this year.  That's why I think he accepts that outcome.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2022, 06:53:13 pm »

Watson's contract with the Browns was written specifically to account for a potential suspension this year.  That's why I think he accepts that outcome.

Wow, I did not know that. That changes things. I still think he would fight an indefinite suspension as that could be lifetime, but maybe if he bargains down to one year then he will accept it.

What a shitshow.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2022, 07:11:48 pm »

Watson's contract with the Browns was written specifically to account for a potential suspension this year.  That's why I think he accepts that outcome.

According to what I read if he gets a full year suspension the contract tolls.  So this year it would cost him only the $1 million but next year he only makes $1 million not the $42 million and he becomes a FA one year later.  A part year suspension otoh would cost him the game checks but no tolling.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2022, 08:54:24 pm »

That wouldn't make sense.  It's easy to see if you apply it to his normal salary instead of his schemed-up 2022 salary.  Suppose he gets suspended again in 2025:

- if he gets a 16-game suspension, he permanently loses $43.44 million from his contract
- if he gets a suspension for the entire 17-game season, he loses $0 and it's simply deferred
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 08:56:04 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2022, 09:13:17 pm »

That wouldn't make sense.  It's easy to see if you apply it to his normal salary instead of his schemed-up 2022 salary.  Suppose he gets suspended again in 2025:

- if he gets a 16-game suspension, he permanently loses $43.44 million from his contract
- if he gets a suspension for the entire 17-game season, he loses $0 and it's simply deferred

He loses what he would have made in his first year as a FA post contract.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2022, 02:36:39 am »

I mean, he loses a year of his career... but in the scenario of a 16-game suspension, he loses over $40 million in addition to losing a year of his career.

ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #97 on: June 27, 2022, 07:28:09 am »

I mean, he loses a year of his career... but in the scenario of a 16-game suspension, he loses over $40 million in addition to losing a year of his career.

Considering he's already sat out a year, if he gets suspended another year, how effective can he be when he takes the field again?
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #98 on: June 27, 2022, 09:02:48 am »

Considering he's already sat out a year, if he gets suspended another year, how effective can he be when he takes the field again?

I was just thinking this too. Football is a game of timing, even more so at the QB position. 2 years away in his prime? That's rough. Not impossible to come back but rough.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #99 on: June 27, 2022, 11:40:19 am »

Browns won't have much choice but to give him the necessary reps to get back in shape.  He has a guaranteed contact.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #100 on: June 27, 2022, 01:55:52 pm »

Browns won't have much choice but to give him the necessary reps to get back in shape.  He has a guaranteed contact.

Wouldn't it be glorious if they have to keep Mayfield and he has a great year and they have to let him walk for nothing? Everyone knows he played very injured last year, a strong bounceback to 2020 levels is not that crazy.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #101 on: June 27, 2022, 03:55:16 pm »

Wouldn't it be glorious if they have to keep Mayfield and he has a great year and they have to let him walk for nothing? Everyone knows he played very injured last year, a strong bounceback to 2020 levels is not that crazy.
I dont think there is any way Mayfield could play for them this season. They have treated him pretty poorly.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2022, 04:15:56 pm »

I dont think there is any way Mayfield could play for them this season. They have treated him pretty poorly.

I know, but these are weird times. If they can't find a willing trade partner who doesn't want Cleveland to eat 80% of his contract, then he is the best QB on the roster. Baker may pout, but he won't be sitting out. On the contrary, he is probably salivating at the idea of having a monster season and then walking away for nothing.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2022, 04:34:04 pm »

I was just thinking this too. Football is a game of timing, even more so at the QB position. 2 years away in his prime? That's rough. Not impossible to come back but rough.
Vick came back and finished 2nd in MVP voting.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2022, 04:35:30 pm »

I agree with Edge.  Mayfield will give 100% if Browns keep him.  He needs to prove he is worthy for his next contract.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray