Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:30:44 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Now is the time for the Dolphins to make the throwbacks permanent
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Now is the time for the Dolphins to make the throwbacks permanent  (Read 2087 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: March 28, 2022, 02:42:36 pm »

I don't typically post articles from other fan sites but I found this one spot on.  Matt Serniak over at phinphanatic.com wrote this piece on bringing back the throwbacks in light of the major postive changes we have made. Rather than stealing his idea I am sharing it.

by Matt Serniak

The Miami Dolphins have us feeling things that we haven’t felt in possibly 20 years. They have us feeling that for the first time in forever, the team is actually ready to do some real winning. The team can seemingly do no wrong. I know I’m far from alone on this one but the Dolphins should keep the good times rolling and announce that the throwback uniforms are permanent.

The last four days have been nothing short of spectacular to be a fan of the Miami Dolphins. The offseason started as a tumultuous one. It had all the makings of a classic dumpster fire Dolphin’s offseason but then Mike McDaniel was hired and we all started convincing ourselves that perhaps not everything was lost.

Free agency was going well but the team didn’t do anything that got anybody too excited. That doesn’t mean that every move has to make me jump out of my chair but it wouldn’t hurt until l hurt myself doing it.

Then, Terron Armstead got signed late Wednesday night and we all went nuts. It was awesome. For the first time in a while, all of us were rejoicing together. It was like in the third Matrix(the worst of the series) when the machines stopped attacking Zion and the war was over. There was common ground among us.

Not even 15 hours later and the unthinkable happened. The Dolphins, from out of nowhere, traded for the fastest, most elusive, most oh my lord this guy actually keeps defensive coordinators up at night, player in the league in Tyreek Hill. It was at this moment that we all were the Vince McMahon falling out of his chair gif.

Finally, the team is showing that they’re actually doing what we have been calling for and what many of the best teams in sports do and that is say “screw it, we’re going all in.” The Miami Dolphins have gone all in for this season and probably the next few after it.

Where this leads them, financially and roster wise in three seasons, I don’t know and I honestly don’t care. My take on it is they’ll figure it out later. I’m going to tell that to myself now and just enjoy what is potentially in front of us and that is a team that should be contending for at least the division. I realize that a lot still has to happen and a lot has to break the Dolphin’s way in order for that dream to happen. I’m here for it.

The Dolphins can do no wrong at the moment. They’re throwing sevens with every move they make. It’s why I say now would be a great time to announce that after years of dancing around it to give in to the demands of the fans and anybody that has ever had the privilege of laying eyes on the greatest and most aesthetically pleasing uniform in sports and make the throwback uniforms permanent.

I realize that this has been written about before. I think I actually wrote about it years ago at a different Dolphin’s publication. As we know, the Dolphins didn’t take my earlier article seriously. I’m confident this will be the one that gets their attention like Deeds was trying to get Hallmark to notice him.

The Miami Dolphin throwback uniforms are an absolute good like giving to charities, dogs, and the chicken quesadilla from Taco Bell are. When you see or have them, you just feel better about yourself. I’m pretty sure endorphins and dopamine levels rise and you just want to do happy things and be overly nice to people. The throwbacks make you feel all tingly inside and I would like to experience that every Sunday by having the Dolphins where them every game.

The current logo and uniforms are fine. I think that’s what most people will tell you. I think if you gave everyone truth serum they would tell you that they personally don’t care for them but would use more colorful language. I think I would fall into that category.

There are a few articles I found, with about two minutes of research, that are pretty interesting. The first is a history of the Dolphin’s logo. The second is an article from a year ago that pretty much says that it is unlikely that Stephen Ross won’t be changing to the throwbacks for permanent use any time soon even though everyone in the world wants it to happen. It doesn’t really give an explanation as to why it won’t happen but I like many others have our own theory. It’s not as compelling as to who shot JFK, which I’m totally down to get into if anybody wants to, but it’s a solid theory nonetheless.

Are you ready for it? Money. That’s my theory. Stephen Ross put a lot of money into rebranding and changing the logo back in 2013 and slightly changing it again in 2018. I don’t think he wants to punt on that yet. Also, he has people buying merchandise for two separate logos. Quick math here but two is bigger than one.

My argument against that, without doing any research into it, is that I feel more money would be made if every piece of merchandise coming out of the Dolphins had the throwback logo on it. That solely creating merchandise with the throwback logo would make more money than producing merchandise with two different logos. Again, I’m not a businessman but I feel strong about my conviction.

I also have a theory that Stephen Ross sits in a chair like, strokes a cat as if he’s Dr. Claw, and knows he can make the throwbacks permanent anytime he wants. I think he has that opportunity hanging in a glass case labeled break in case of emergency if there is a total mutiny by the fans by something truly horrible. Not the worst plan because if the throwbacks were ever to be announced as the jersey the Dolphins were going to wear every week it would galvanize the entire fanbase. I shudder to think what a fully unified Dolphin fan base can accomplish if we’re all pulling in the same direction. World peace, eliminate hunger, the moon, who knows?

The Dolphin’s throwback jerseys are the kind of beautiful display of art that folks from other fan bases recognize as being elite. I can’t tell you how many times I wore my Tua or Waddle throwback jersey and had some person tell me”man alive, those jerseys are so sweet why don’t you guys wear those all the time.” Then I say “well friend, it’s not my decision but you’re right they should.”

Be the change you want to see in the world. Good words said by a great man. Here you can do just that.

https://www.change.org/p/miami-dolphins-bring-back-our-old-sports-team-logo-uniform?recruiter=1091900377&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=share_petition&recruited_by_id=c7cf70b0-9acf-11ea-80d6-a3d23ca4875d

It’s from a couple of years ago but it can’t hurt. Sign it and let’s see what happens. Probably nothing will happen but sometimes it’s the longshots that pay off the most. I mean Saint Peter’s just made history by being the first 15 seed to reach the Elite 8. Does that give this article any chance to reach the desk of Ross, make him change his mind, and do the right thing? I don’t know. But a man can dream and I dream of one day the Miami Dolphins dawning their incredibly magnificent and radiant throwback jerseys every week.

Have yourself a Saturday and weekend. Follow me @2ndSatSports

https://phinphanatic.com/2022/03/26/now-is-the-time-for-the-dolphins-to-make-the-throwbacks-permanent/

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2022, 04:57:37 pm »

I refuse to spend any of my money on anything with the new logo design. So yes, bring back the older look.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2022, 12:10:07 am »

If everybody likes and prefers the throwbacks, why are there hundreds of non-throwback jerseys at every game?  Why do so many people buy stuff with the new logo when the throwback logo is readily available (to say nothing of the abundance of new old stock Dolphins merchandise that predates the 2013 logo)?

The anti-new logo people are annoyingly loud all of the time.  It's not enough for them to be able to buy throwback stuff... no, they NEED to make sure that the new logo stuff is also not available to buy.

The throwback jersey is nice.  The throwback logo is terrible and, IMHO, the worst Dolphins logo.  I prefer even the angry cartoon dolphin to the faded-out chicken scratch dolphin.

Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2022, 06:58:20 am »

My biggest gripe is that the dolphin in the logo doesn't look pissed off enough.  Every dolphin I've encountered in the wild or in the media looks irate and bloodthirsty.  Why can't the Dolphins organization replicate that effectively?  It makes the team seem weak in comparison to, let's say, the Browns.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2022, 07:29:12 am »

I'm just going to say this out loud... I like the new logo more than any of the other logos. I like the change in sunburst color in 2018, I like the new sunburst over the "gear" burst of the newer helmeted dolphin or the ridiculous comb-like burst of the older logos. I like the new dolphin itself over any of the previous dolphins, although clearly the 1997 dolphin (the newer helmeted one) is vastly superior to any of the old "scratchy" dolphins (which, if I had to rank them would go from oldest (worst) to newest (best)).

So, in conclusion, every single logo change the Dolphins have ever made has, in my opinion, been for the better. And, yes, this means I'm absolutely not a fan of the "tiny dolphin" logo used in at least some of the throwbacks.

That doesn't mean I like all the *uniform* changes. Not a fan of broad stripes on the sleeves or shadows on the numbers. And, while not a big issue to me, I liked our old "chunky" numbers more than the new slim ones - although the newer numbers are easier to decipher on broadcasts.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2022, 02:13:43 pm »

So, in conclusion, every single logo change the Dolphins have ever made has, in my opinion, been for the better.
100% co-sign.

My favorite jerseys are probably from the Zach/JT-era, with the navy accents and the block drop-shadows.  But I love the new logo and always have.  I don't understand why people even like the washed-out scratchy logo that looks like the team ran out of ink (over the angry cartoon).  If it's because they associate that logo with success... well, now is the best time to create a new aura of success for the current logo.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2022, 03:27:43 pm »

I didn't love the new logo at first....but it's kinda growing pains.  The old logos aren't really good either.  And the old, old logo is the worst.

I like the throwback jerseys, too.  But I like them as throwbacks.

I think they should play in the normal jerseys all year.  Then one 80s throwback jersey, one 90s throwback, and one orange jersey game.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2022, 05:05:28 pm »

It's beating a dead horse but I've never liked the pastel blue. It's just not a color I'd think of in a physical sport. I also don't like the Sea World Dolphin. While I've gotten used to them I certianly haven't started to like them. My favorite color is red so I like stand out colors and our current scheme is not it.

I realize fans are warming up to them, mostly because you have to, but even most people who are not Dolphins fans like our throwbacks and think our current scheme is a bit feminine ... to put it nicely. I've heard many sports people on Joe Rose from other teams saying unsolicited good things about our throwbacks and it isn't beauce they were stuck on the old school designs.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2022, 07:16:29 pm »

The throwback color scheme and jerseys are fine; great, even.  It's the throwback logo that sucks.

ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2022, 09:24:11 pm »

The throwback color scheme and jerseys are fine; great, even.  It's the throwback logo that sucks.

I liked the jerseys, logo and color scheme from the JJ era.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2022, 10:12:03 pm »

100% co-sign.

My favorite jerseys are probably from the Zach/JT-era, with the navy accents and the block drop-shadows.  But I love the new logo and always have.  I don't understand why people even like the washed-out scratchy logo that looks like the team ran out of ink (over the angry cartoon).  If it's because they associate that logo with success... well, now is the best time to create a new aura of success for the current logo.

Yes, I like the uni's with the navy accents the best also.  They were actually a good upgrade from the 70's versions.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2022, 11:30:54 pm »

It's beating a dead horse but I've never liked the pastel blue. It's just not a color I'd think of in a physical sport.
If you don't like the color, you don't like the color; personal taste is subjective.  But the idea that it's "feminine" or "not physical" in the NFL is just weird.

Those don't look any more like "masculine" colors of a "physical sport."

The powder blue Chargers jersey is arguably the most praised jersey in all of the NFL, and that color is hardly "masculine."
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 11:46:24 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2022, 11:31:15 pm »

I appreciate  what they’ve done with the current color scheme. Blending the new “old look” colors with a  revamped “modern” logo. “A+” for effort there. But I can’t get behind this logo. I have so much nostalgia and good feelings associated with the logos that I grew up with in the mid 80’s to JJ’s redesign. That being said, this “dolphin” is not my dolphin and it never will be.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2022, 10:19:08 am »

If you don't like the color, you don't like the color; personal taste is subjective.  But the idea that it's "feminine" or "not physical" in the NFL is just weird.

Those don't look any more like "masculine" colors of a "physical sport."

The powder blue Chargers jersey is arguably the most praised jersey in all of the NFL, and that color is hardly "masculine."
I'm not a fan of the Titans light blue or the San Diego powder blue either. My daughter's soccer team used to wear unis that were the same color as the Carolina Blue of UNC but I wouldn't have liked it for a boys team. The bright neon colors don't bother me as I'm a child of the 80s.

For the record I don't even have an issue with pink as long as it's a bolder pink. The Italian soccer club Palermo wears pink and it doesn't seem odd to me. Unfortunately "baby" blue of any shade does.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 10:23:27 am by CF DolFan » Logged

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2022, 10:50:30 am »

In terms of the logo, I think I just prefer hard lines...like "thick-line animation" style logos.  Something about there being no outline or definition makes it appear too much like toothpaste.  However, the color upgrade definitely does help a lot.  I also hate the eye.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray