Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:37:44 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Now is the time for the Dolphins to make the throwbacks permanent
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Now is the time for the Dolphins to make the throwbacks permanent  (Read 2065 times)
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2022, 09:30:08 pm »

I will always think the Miami Dolphins true colors are the throwback's aquamarine (hence the slight green tinge) and coral (the darker orange).

As for the logo, I absolutely HATE the current one, especially the belly down tail up aspect. It reminds me way too much of this:

The old logo reflects how most people see them in the wild, how they leap from the water. It's a powerful image, not a submissive one.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2022, 11:51:14 pm »

I would say two things:

1) I think "most people" see dolphins at water parks, not in the wild
2) The second picture is missing a football helmet (that no one ever sees on a dolphin), which is the most significant improvement of the new logo

To me, the new logo is not a dolphin laying on a platform, but rather a dolphin in the water right before it breaches the surface.  And the old logo is a dolphin in a football helmet jumping alongside a hoop (instead of through it).

I don't necessarily mind the form of the original logo; I just think the helmet is silly, and the Shula-era faded/stressed inking is absolutely terrible.  As I recall, nearly all of us loved this entry from one of the many fan contests for a new logo:

Of course, it's worth mentioning that this abomination actually won the contest in question.

Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2022, 12:05:02 am »

I would say two things:

1) I think "most people" see dolphins at water parks, not in the wild
2) The second picture is missing a football helmet (that no one ever sees on a dolphin), which is the most significant improvement of the new logo

To me, the new logo is not a dolphin laying on a platform, but rather a dolphin in the water right before it breaches the surface.  And the old logo is a dolphin in a football helmet jumping alongside a hoop (instead of through it).

I don't necessarily mind the form of the original logo; I just think the helmet is silly, and the Shula-era faded/stressed inking is absolutely terrible.  As I recall, nearly all of us loved this entry from one of the many fan contests for a new logo:

I guess I am lucky enough to live in a country surrounded by water, and most of us here experience dolphins in the wild (usually leaping through the wake from the bow of a boat). In Adelaide we have a pod of dolphins in the Port River (which is sadly shrinking), and they do that leap all the time - they even do backwards tail stands for fun even though they are wild animals! But they never do the belly beaching on land - it's just unnatural.

Back to the old logo - there's always been a bit of a question as to whether the ring of orange represented a loop of fire, or the Florida sun? The fact that it's alongside as opposed to through suggests the latter. The helmet on the dolphin was always a bit corny: I can see why they did it back in the day, but it's not really necessary now...

And that proposed logo that all of us here loved. It's a million times better than what we have now.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 12:11:37 am by Downunder Dolphan » Logged
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2022, 12:25:14 am »

The only thing I don't like about the fan logo linked above is the angry dolphin; it screams '90s design.

We already have an angry cardinal, and an angry seahawk, and an angry raven, falcon, and bronco.  We don't need another angry dolphin.

But I'd certainly be happy with that logo (as-is), too.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2022, 07:49:20 am »

If you don't like the color, you don't like the color; personal taste is subjective.  But the idea that it's "feminine" or "not physical" in the NFL is just weird.

Those don't look any more like "masculine" colors of a "physical sport."

The powder blue Chargers jersey is arguably the most praised jersey in all of the NFL, and that color is hardly "masculine."

BTW you just made an excellent example of why gender is a social construct rather than tied to biological sex. Saying one color is masculine and another is feminine is pure social construct, there is absolutely nothing biological about blue for boys and pink for girls.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2022, 02:58:22 pm »

Easily enough, take the current logo and make the tail go down like previous logos.  I think most would be happy with that.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2022, 12:22:03 am »

I don't think that would placate the people who think the current logo looks like toothpaste.

stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2022, 03:26:09 pm »

I don't think that would placate the people who think the current logo looks like toothpaste.
Wow. I never saw that before. But now thanks to you, all I see is and advertisement for Aquafresh.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2022, 04:20:09 pm »

That didn't take very long. Add Bradley Chubb to the list of people wanting the throwbakcks to go permanent. He posted to Instagram and tagged Jalean Phillips ... "Tryna make them throwbacks the primary"

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
DenverFinFan
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2022, 04:22:41 pm »

I’m still in complete favor of this. The throwbacks are the greatest uniforms in the history of American sports.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2022, 07:49:02 pm »

The new logo haters had better hope Tua is not as good as he's been playing this year.
Imagine if the Dolphins win three or four Super Bowls in this uniform?  You'll be stuck with it for the next fifty years.

You'll be the equivalent of a Patriot fan who hates the Flying Elvis, a Bronco fan who hates the mecha-horse, or a Bucs fan who hates the red-and-pewter color scheme. The cause will be hopelessly lost.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 07:52:12 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

DenverFinFan
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2022, 10:33:58 pm »

The new logo haters had better hope Tua is not as good as he's been playing this year.
Imagine if the Dolphins win three or four Super Bowls in this uniform?  You'll be stuck with it for the next fifty years.

You'll be the equivalent of a Patriot fan who hates the Flying Elvis, a Bronco fan who hates the mecha-horse, or a Bucs fan who hates the red-and-pewter color scheme. The cause will be hopelessly lost.

Oh I’m fine with the current logo. I like it better than the 90s one. That one looks like Charlie Tuna or that shark that sounded like Curly.

It’s just the throwbacks are epic. I’d take a Super Bowl over a logo change btw. Lol

( also the Denver D logo is much superior )
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2022, 09:21:41 am »

I started out really, really hating the logo.  A lot.

I still don't really like it, but I'm not all that sure how to fix it.

I think the sun is needlessly complicated.  Nobody ever talks about it, but the fact that the little spikes are different sizes is off-putting to me.  I also feel the same way with the classic logo, where the sun has those little lines.  The 90's' logo had the best sun and it's not close.

I'm in a weird spot where I don't really love any of them.  There are elements here and there of each that I like.  I do think that the general uniform layout of the classics is superior.

How many uniforms are you allowed to have?
I think it would be cool to play in the throwbacks once a year and the 90s throwbacks once a year.  ...and then throw in some kind of alternate orange/navy/ice/whiteout/blackout/pink/camo version of the current logo once.  I think that keeping all those in the rotation is cool for the branding.

I drink your milkshake!
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2022, 10:33:55 am »

How many uniforms are you allowed to have?

Home, Away, +2 alternates which can be worn up to 3 times (combined) per season (and not at all in the playoffs). That's in the "post-color-rush era". Unfortunately, I don't have an up-to-date edition of the NFL Constitution and Bylaws, so the following is (unless stated otherwise) according to the 2006 version.

One set of the home/away uniforms must be primarily non-white, the other primarily white - so you cannot have a blue home uniform and a red away uniform, for example. The home team decides whether to wear "color" or "white", the away team obviously the opposite. Officially the home team wears white, with the away team wearing colors, but since the home team gets to decide what it wants to wear, that distinction makes little difference and most media references seem to call the white jersey for the away jersey. According to the bylaws, clubs can get permission from broadcast networks prior to 1st September to wear club colors instead of white (later for playoffs).

Each club has a specific slate of colors that they are allowed to use in their uniforms, but since uniforms as a whole must be approved by the league, I'm not entirely sure what practical difference this makes. For reference, the Dolphins are listed with the following club colors: Aqua, coral, white, and navy. (Coral is the orange.)

The words "uniform" and "jersey" appear to be used fairly interchangeably in the regulations and I couldn't find any mention of pants (or similar words). Oddly, the word "uniform" is explicitly defined as "every piece of equipment worn by a player, including but not limited to helmet, pants, jerseys, wristbands, gloves, stockings, shoes, visible undergarments, and accessories such as headwear, coverings worn under helmets, and hand towels".

(So I'm not entirely sure if there are any regulations that cover which pants can be used when.)

Uniforms are "locked" for a period of 5 years, unless there are extenuating circumstances (Washington Commanders, relocation, ownership change). Alternates have a distinct "lock" from the home/away uniforms, but still 5 years. Not sure if the two alternates have distinct locks or not, since the 2006 regs only allowed 1 alternate. Notice of intent to change uniforms must be given prior to March 1 of the year prior to the changes going into effect.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2022, 12:18:34 pm »

You'll be the equivalent of a Patriot fan who hates the Flying Elvis,

I don't hate the flying Elvis, but I definitely prefer Patriot Pat and any gear I buy for myself has that logo.  In general I think older fans like the older logos and younger fans are more open to the new ideas because they are less use to the way it has been done.  It is often why older folks are more conservative and younger folks are more progressive. I remember when Fallon look over for Leno on the Tonight Show hearing two girls bemoan how Leno has been the host of the show forever, and was the identity of the show and it would never be the same.  I said something to effect of Leno was just filling in for Carson who was the real icon and they went "who?"

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray