Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:16:40 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Miami Trades Davante Parker to New England
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Miami Trades Davante Parker to New England  (Read 3348 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2022, 09:46:49 am »

In 2020, the year after Parker was given his big contract with the Dolphins, the team was 8-4 after 12 games and in the midst of a playoff run.  He then proceeded to miss three games in a row and return for the last game of the season, catching 7 passes for 116 yards and earning a $750K contract incentive he wouldn't have earned had he missed that game.

If he was phoning it in during those three games, it certainly wasn't because he perceived the season as futile, and if he was, he was delusional.

We're on the same page with his dedication, but this is why I don't like the trade. He doesn't have a lot of money or years on his contract and he was just dumped by Miami, so he is "motivated" now. I fear we just gave our playoff division rival a 1,000 yard receiver.
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2022, 10:21:40 am »

We're on the same page with his dedication, but this is why I don't like the trade. He doesn't have a lot of money or years on his contract and he was just dumped by Miami, so he is "motivated" now. I fear we just gave our playoff division rival a 1,000 yard receiver.

A player without passion for the game can be motivated by nothing other than money.  He is either intrinsically or extrinsically motivated, and Parker is extrinsically motivated.
DenverFinFan
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2022, 04:14:57 pm »

Can’t believe we traded in division
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2022, 09:55:31 pm »

Can’t believe we traded in division

A lot of the reason it's not good to trade within the division is that you don't want the player going to his new team and sharing your playbook.  With a new coach and new coordinators the playbook will be changed so it won't make a difference.  Furthermore, sometimes when players try to show up their former teams it backfires.  Let's not forget Miami's defensive players have been on the other side of the ball from Parker for years and know his tendancies better than anyone.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2022, 12:06:21 am »

I think MIA has hired enough ex-Patriots to know from experience that the danger of one of your players moving withing the division is sometimes overstated.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2022, 01:08:05 am »

I think MIA has hired enough ex-Patriots to know from experience that the danger of one of your players moving withing the division is sometimes overstated.

Except for the facts Miami swept them last year, Miami has split the series five years in a row,  and Miami has an all time winning record against them.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2022, 04:45:28 am »

Would you prefer I use the example of ex-Bills?

I mean, if we're looking at the big picture, MIA has a winning record against every team in the AFC East (and also former AFCE member IND), so what does that tell us about intradivisional trades?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 04:49:54 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2022, 11:58:43 am »

Bill Belichick has a mixed record for the draft.  But he has an outstanding record when it comes to both rehabilitating other teams trash.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2022, 01:04:00 pm »

Bill Belichick has a mixed record for the draft.  But he has an outstanding record when it comes to both rehabilitating other teams trash.

I would attribute that to the winning culture they sustained 2001-2019.  During that time New England had Belichick and Brady and a longstanding culture of winning, such that newly obtained players easily assimilated into it.  Even the likes of Randy Moss "behaved himself" as a function of that culture.  I'm not so sure they still have that, however, as I believe Brady, and not Belichick, was the lynchpin of it.  Brady went to Tampa Bay and immediately generated the same kind of culture, whereas the Patriots have been shells of their former selves since.

Devante Parker is walking into a far different Patriot locker room than the one Randy Moss walked into in my opinion.
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2022, 12:46:30 pm »

I would attribute that to the winning culture they sustained 2001-2019.  During that time New England had Belichick and Brady and a longstanding culture of winning, such that newly obtained players easily assimilated into it.  Even the likes of Randy Moss "behaved himself" as a function of that culture.  I'm not so sure they still have that, however, as I believe Brady, and not Belichick, was the lynchpin of it.  Brady went to Tampa Bay and immediately generated the same kind of culture, whereas the Patriots have been shells of their former selves since.

Devante Parker is walking into a far different Patriot locker room than the one Randy Moss walked into in my opinion.

What culture?  The culture of making your opponents turn the ball over and do stupid things?

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2022, 06:49:52 pm »

Back to the thread

Another history lesson. After acquiring Marshall, Miami traded ginn. That sure worked out well.  Roll Eyes

I would have liked to have both Parker and hill. 

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2022, 11:45:01 pm »

I split off all of the Patriots' culture discussion that had nothing to do with DeVante Parker and moved it to Around the NFL.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2022, 12:36:09 pm »

Parker said that there were several teams wanting to trade with Miami but he wanted New England and Grier granted his request.

Does Grier make any moves that are graded out as "meh"? Seems like everything is either a Homerun or Complete shit.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2022, 12:57:38 pm »

I've been starting at this thread for weeks and I just came to say that I think this "trading within the division" stuff is largely overrated.  This is even moreso true when you have a new coach so the old guy won't even know the old game-plans and stuff.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2022, 05:13:10 pm »

I've been starting at this thread for weeks and I just came to say that I think this "trading within the division" stuff is largely overrated.  This is even moreso true when you have a new coach so the old guy won't even know the old game-plans and stuff.

I agree with that in general, unless you're trading partner has a proven track record of identifying players that are being used ineffectively and with a little tweaking the player can become more productive.  I would go so far as to say, "If BB values one of your players more than you value that player, rather than trade said player you should do a deep analysis of how you can better utilize said player"

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray