Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:27:10 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Dolphins Sign RB Sony Michel
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Dolphins Sign RB Sony Michel  (Read 1134 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« on: May 10, 2022, 01:55:08 pm »

Led the Rams in rushing last year. He is our 3rd free agent RB that we have signed and I'm cool with all 3 of them.

A certain top free agent Center can help our backs even more but this is still a good pickup. In terms of established performance mixed with potential, we have a fantastic roster. Of course, potential that doesn't yield results is worthless.
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 05:13:55 pm »

Ordinarily I would say great job with this signing, but the Dolphins need more wise bodies on the O line. They can sign all of these fancy shiny fast toys, but they won’t get anything out of them without some big nasty big boys up front. I think they’re going about this all wrong. I feel like if they were serious about being a serious team that they would start there. And then get the toys.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 05:33:58 pm »

Was JC Tretter secretly caught protesting police brutality or something?
Why does this guy still not have a contract while the Dolphins are pursuing RB depth?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 05:36:40 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 05:51:35 pm »

Tretter does come with some injury concern. While he didn't miss games, he was held out of practice all season due to ankle and knee issues. Some reports have questioned whether he would be able to pass a physical and there are some rumors he's deliberately slow-playing it to give his body time to heal up (so he can pass said physical). Other rumors suggest he's considering retirement.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 06:30:34 pm »

Ordinarily I would say great job with this signing, but the Dolphins need more wise bodies on the O line. They can sign all of these fancy shiny fast toys, but they won’t get anything out of them without some big nasty big boys up front. I think they’re going about this all wrong. I feel like if they were serious about being a serious team that they would start there. And then get the toys.

We did pick up UDFA Kellen Diesch from the Sun Devils, who's an interesting prospect. Overall his CV sounded similar to Eichenberg - freakish athlete, good technique, but short arms which translates more into an interior lineman. He could be just another camp body or depth for rotations, or then again maybe they think one of these guys could morph into a viable center.

Speaking of our UDFA signings, Zaquandre White is another interesting one. He's an instinctive, lightning fast RB who can cut on a dime, but has trouble following designed plays. The guy could be absolute dynamite in special teams, specifically kick returns.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2022, 01:40:30 am »

Verone McKinley, safety out of Oregon, looks quite intriguing as well. Might be one of those players that just plays much better than his measurables - or his skill set might not translate to the NFL at all. Jevon Holland raves about him (also a Duck).
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2022, 08:33:45 am »

Why does this guy still not have a contract while the Dolphins are pursuing RB depth?

Hasn't missed a game in 5 years, even though he rarely practices due to being banged up. Even so, at this point he won't be getting 4 Years/$52 Million fully guaranteed, so what's the issue with a 2 year deal? Not even hearing rumors about him visiting teams, the longer he waits the more likely he will have to settle for a small money 1 year deal with any team that offers it.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2022, 10:00:39 am »

He’s a leader for the players union and is currently pushing for players to sign only fully guaranteed contracts. I have to guess that has teams questioning if he’s worth the hassle to bring on just as they do every player or employee.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2022, 10:05:16 am »

He’s a leader for the players union and is currently pushing for players to sign only fully guaranteed contracts. I have to guess that has teams questioning if he’s worth the hassle to bring on just as they do every player or employee.

Yeah, I mentioned this before as well. It can be very costly for a team to maintain a roster with the Head of the union telling them to just get the most money from any team. Plus, maybe he is holding out for fully guaranteed to set the example.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2022, 10:42:13 am »

If teams are doing as you suggest, including his role in the union in their roster decisions, then the teams are violating federal law. 

While likely unenforceable, if such behavior is occurring it reprehensible. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2022, 10:45:18 am »

If teams are doing as you suggest, including his role in the union in their roster decisions, then the teams are violating federal law. 

Considering how hard it would be to prove, it's not shocking that this may be the reason for some teams.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2022, 11:40:58 am »

Verone McKinley, safety out of Oregon, looks quite intriguing as well. Might be one of those players that just plays much better than his measurables - or his skill set might not translate to the NFL at all. Jevon Holland raves about him (also a Duck).

He could well be a future replacement for Rowe if he pans out and we decide we can use the salary cap space. I've been very happy with Rowe with his time at the Dolphins, but if he clicks as well as he did with Holland like at Oregon to make a powerful safety combination to go with X and Byron at corner, then we may have got a bargain.

I may be getting a bit old school in my thinking, but I still value quickness in games/on tape a lot more than measurables at the combines. Guys who see the field and read the plays can make up a lot of speed just through anticipation and intelligence. Combine that with application, and I'd always take that over a pure numbers guy. 
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2022, 12:51:36 pm »

Considering how hard it would be to prove, it's not shocking that this may be the reason for some teams.

It would take an employee that was in the room that was willing to go “Brian Flores”.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2022, 04:26:19 pm »

All employers do this and if you don't think they do then you're nuts. Everyone does it to protect themsleves. No one knowingly brings people on board who are going to make their lives more difficult.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2022, 06:02:28 pm »

All employers do this and if you don't think they do then you're nuts. Everyone does it to protect themsleves. No one knowingly brings people on board who are going to make their lives more difficult.

All employer fire the union rep for advocating for the union?  This is a violation of the law.  While I don’t doubt it occurs in many workplaces it is illegal.  And if proven has consequences. 

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray