Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:37:19 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Finding 10 wins
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Finding 10 wins  (Read 1405 times)
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2022, 11:05:37 am »

Cakewalk???  I just saw today that Miami has the 3rd toughest ranked schedule behind KC and NE, followed by LV and Buffalo.

I always kind of shake my head a little when some writer tries to determine what the strength of schedule will be "this year" by comparing it to the final record from "last year." These days, when teams change personnel and coaching so much...I just think it's a crapshoot.     Wink

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2022, 05:49:45 pm »

I always kind of shake my head a little when some writer tries to determine what the strength of schedule will be "this year" by comparing it to the final record from "last year." These days, when teams change personnel and coaching so much...I just think it's a crapshoot.     Wink

Oh I agree with you.  When polled most reporters pick the exact the same teams that were in the playoff the prior year, to be in the playoffs this year.  About the only thing you can somewhat accurately predict is that a team that only won 1 or 2 games the prior season will probably finish last in their division this year.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2022, 07:56:20 pm »

I am defending the idea of strength of schedule -- sure, you don't know every good and bad team, but you get a pretty decent starting point.

Good teams, by and large, are gonna be good, and if they're not good, they're gonna be ok or great.
Bad teams are, by and large, gonna stay bad -- and if they're not bad, they'll be horrible or ok.

There is some shifting, but it likely works out like most things where the errors help you as much as they hurt.  It won't always be the case, but it's not all that crazy to look at your schedule and see who you think you should beat.  That's essentially the same metric as strength of schedule.

I drink your milkshake!
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2022, 10:25:13 am »

Cakewalk???  I just saw today that Miami has the 3rd toughest ranked schedule behind KC and NE, followed by LV and Buffalo.

I said I didn't think it was a cake walk but also didn't think it was the toughest in terms of bye weeks and when we play these teams. I don't think a 3rd placed team would have one of the toughest schedules in the league but things change as the season progresses.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray