Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:41:14 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Nineteen children under the age of 10 killed in TX school shooting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: Nineteen children under the age of 10 killed in TX school shooting  (Read 7861 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2022, 12:47:17 pm »

While I'm on the side of severe and strict gun control, a story that I read on some news site over the wknd shows that banning firearms for citizens isn't as good as it may sound. I'm not going to be bothered with trying to dig it up. Anyone of you guys who cares can, but basically, at a graduation or birthday party in W. Va. over this past wknd an uninvited random dude crashed the party and got off a couple of indiscriminate shots into the crowd with, of course, an AR15. Didn't hit anybody. In attendance at this party was a licensed gun owner who promptly pulled out her 9mm and put that attempted mass shooter out of his misery, saving how many lives.
So score one for the 2nd Amendment, but I'm still really on the fence about gun ownership.

I heard about that too.  Only 2% of all bad guys with a gun are stopped by a good guy with a gun.  The NRA will use this a proof not enough people have 9mms. I think the problem is that a convicted felon with an extensive criminal history had access to an AR-15.  
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 02:16:03 pm by MyGodWearsAHoodie » Logged

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2022, 05:15:54 pm »

I think the problem is that a convicted felon with an extensive criminal history had access to an AR-15.  
Finally ...  you have found the issue and the person who needs to be dealt with.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2022, 05:22:02 pm »

Finally ...  you have found the issue and the person who needs to be dealt with.

How did he get it?  Did someone give it to him?  Did he buy it a gun show?  Off ebay as a kit?  Did someone leave it loaded in a car?  Who owned it before him? 

Gun reform is NOT about making guns illegal.  It is about laws that prevent guns from getting in the hands of criminals.  You may note that is exactly what my 9 point plan addressed. 

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2022, 12:11:12 pm »

This is guy is my favorite youtuber.....He is funny and insightful.  But this was his first video that caused me to tear up.

This is America today.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5JzV_yb1fQ

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2022, 12:57:08 pm »

I knew it would be Beau of the Fifth Column before clicking the link.

CF, that YouTube channel is run by the kind of liberal that I think you would probably understand more, instead of the caricatures of transgender communists that Fox News tells you about every day.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2022, 02:37:46 pm »

1. Eliminate the Dickey amendment.  It is easier to solve a problem if you can research it and collect data.  If you support the Dickey amendment what do you fear we will learn? 

2. Require all gun owners to be licensed.  Require all guns to be registered.  Require all gun transfers to recorded.  End the gun show loopholes.   Yes, you can still sell a gun to a friend (you don't need to go to thru a dealer) just as you can sell a car to a friend.  But you need to file paperwork.

3. The following are not allowed to own or possess a gun:  any conviction of a violent felony, any conviction of domestic violence, any conviction of violating gun laws, any conviction of animal abuse, any adjudication of not guilty by reason of insanity, any felony drug conviction,  any crime involving a gun, any person who went thru a diversion program to avoid a DV or violent crime conviction and anyone who has an current restraining order.  Close ALL the loop holes to domestic violence prohibition with no exceptions.  It is perfectly constitutional to regulate behavior.  We don't let felons vote, we certainly don't need to let violent felons have concealed carry.

4. Raise the purchase age to 21. Person's under 21 may only possess a gun while actively under supervision during target practice or while hunting.  We don't allow people under 21 access to alcohol or tobacco we can do the same with guns.  As for the oh...but...but..but...but...w e let people join the military under 21....but they can't own a gun.....  An exception can be carved out for anyone who has completed IET and successfully completed their branch's firearms training.  Processing the authorizing of underage firearm permits will be administrated by the SecDef who can delegate such to individual services.  Please note almost every school shooting is done by boys under the age of 21. 

5. Require all stored guns to be stored unloaded and secured.  Attach class E felony liability for failure to do so (and see point 3) 

6. If an owner of negligently stores a firearm or gives the firearm to someone who is not allowed to possess a firearm (not licensed, minor, etc) and the firearm is subsequently used in a crime the owner is criminally and civilly liable to the same level as aiding and abetting. 

7. Make gun theft reporting mandatory.  Failure to do so in a timely manner is a felony. 

8.  Make possession of a ghost gun a felony.  You can make a homemade gun if you want.  But you must registered it and engrave it with a serial number.  Possession of an unregistered gun is a felony in its own right and can be introduced as evidence of intention to commit other crimes. 

9. Repeal PLCAA.  Treat guns like every other consumer product.  The gun industry is the ONLY industry with such protection. 

I just want to give props to these tangible solutions.  I'm not sure they're all possible, but they are real, reasonable steps and I don't think they'd trample on the rights of good people who want to own guns.

In my (somewhat limited) experience with gun enthusiasts, none of the things here would hamper their style and in fact are already in line with what they're doing -- people who love guns also love training, certification, safe storage, etc.  The kind of person who wants to make sure their guns aren't registered probably don't have the best head about the situation.

I particularly like banning weapons to felons and people who use guns in crime.  Stopping loopholes and having everything work like cars also makes a lot of sense.  We just need to shift our thinking in how this stuff works.  The right kind of people that want guns won't be negatively affected.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2022, 04:01:33 pm »

I just want to give props to these tangible solutions. 

Thanks for the props, but none of them are originally my ideas.  Many of them were taken from Beau of the Fifth Column.  (Spider already knew that)  Spider probably figure out I was a Beau fan because of how much I have used his points in my all time favorite video.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M6CXhUS-x8

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2022, 04:20:08 pm »

I knew it would be Beau of the Fifth Column before clicking the link.

CF, that YouTube channel is run by the kind of liberal that I think you would probably understand more, instead of the caricatures of transgender communists that Fox News tells you about every day.
Don't know how many times I have to remind you that I don't watch Fox News. I did find it interestinng that Jack Dorsey recently admitted left leaning individuals on Twitter typically only follow liberals while right leaning individuals tend to follow both ideals.  You know ... it does kind of support the rhetoric you guys continue to spout. Just sayin' ... LOL.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2022, 04:49:01 pm »

Don't know how many times I have to remind you that I don't watch Fox News.

Okay, your favorite news source is the even less reliable Daily Mail. 

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2022, 07:45:48 pm »

Read an interesting theory today, to explain what happened/lack of cooperation afterwards, etc.  One or more of the 19 children were shot by a police bullet, not the shooter.  The subsequent cluster fuck was them trying to figure out how to cover it up.  While there is no hard evidence of this, it certainly would explain all the lying, inaction, refusal to cooperate with other agency investigations, etc.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2022, 01:52:34 pm »

I just had the most depressing conversation with a friend at lunch today.  She looked like she had been crying and I asked her what was wrong. 

She said the school shooting had her upset.  I asked, “was there another one today?”  She said “no, god at least I hope not”.  We both then checked our phones just to make sure.  She has twin 9 year-olds. So I asked, “The shooting in Texas hit particularly close to home?”  She says “yeah, the conversation I had this morning was just awful.  Kids asked me at breakfast what photo I would use when they got shot.  At first I didn’t understand what they were asking.  And then they explained that after every school shooting they always do a collage of the kids killed.  And they wanted to know what photos I had picked out for them. This was NOT a conversation I wanted to have, so I tried to reassure them that despite them being big news stories, school shootings are extremely rare and that it is very unlikely I will ever have pick such a photo. They persisted and demanded I tell them what photos.  So I picked their most recent school photos and tried to change the subject.  They didn’t like those photos and picked out photos for me to use instead. They then wanted to know what photo I wanted.  I told them I don’t have to worry about school shootings.  They pointed out that I do go to the grocery store two or three times a week.  So I picked out a photo.  As I drove them to school they told me how they wanted their caskets decorated.  So yeah, it hit way too close to home.  They are only nine years old.  This isn’t something they should be thinking about.  And it isn’t something I should have to worry about as a mother.  How did our society get this fucked up?”   

ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2022, 09:17:50 pm »

How did our society get this fucked up?”   

Because you went from organized crime families to complete whack jobs.  Back in the old days, gangsters and outlaws had an honor code. Part of that code was that places like schools and churches were off limits.   These days, nobody gives a shit and will do whatever they want.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2022, 09:59:25 pm »

Because you went from organized crime families to complete whack jobs.  Back in the old days, gangsters and outlaws had an honor code. Part of that code was that places like schools and churches were off limits.   These days, nobody gives a shit and will do whatever they want.

Just to be clear: your theory is the root cause of school shootings is the take down of the Gambino crime family?

ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2022, 07:39:52 am »

Just to be clear: your theory is the root cause of school shootings is the take down of the Gambino crime family?

More like the weakening of all crime families nationwide.   They wouldn't tolerate that type of behavior in their cities. 
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2022, 08:57:18 am »

More like the weakening of all crime families nationwide.   They wouldn't tolerate that type of behavior in their cities. 

Would be pretty difficult for them to stop it.  For the most part the shooters go into with the expectation of dying and wouldn’t be concerned about mob retribution.  And I doubt the mob would be filling the role of SRO.

But wait, Well maybe…….

Much of the mob business was protection.  So probably they wouldn’t want ordinary folks to get armed themselves, they might run gun shops out of town or own them themselves so they could keep track of who had a gun and make sure they don’t fall into the hands of psychopaths.

It is also possible that if the child or grandchild of a mob member was a random victim of a school shooting, the mob might decide the retribution would include killing the gun shop owner that sold the punk a gun along with the entire family of the gun shop owner.  That would motivate other gun shop owners to be more careful with future sales.

And it is also possible the mob might be effective at knowing which people in the community were psychos and take forceful action in removing their access to guns.

And the mob wouldn’t be encumbered by NRA bought politicians and 2A extremists.  They could have meaningful “laws” to limit gun access and do background checks.  And could have a swift and meaningful “red flag” system.

So mob organized gun control….without the boundaries imposed by the gun industry lobby or their fictional rewrite of what 2A intended.   Interesting curiosity. 

Obviously allowing the mob to continue and letting them run cities had a host of other problems and so their take down was a net positive and this isn’t close to being a serious solution.

Buf you would support mob (criminal) run gun control but not civilian run gun control.  Got it.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray