Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:08:33 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Drew Rosenhaus says his players love "demanding" Mike McDaniel
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Drew Rosenhaus says his players love "demanding" Mike McDaniel  (Read 1909 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: May 26, 2022, 02:27:36 pm »

Kind of nice to know he isn't all fun and games. I really hope he works out to be a great coach just because he is so different.

Since the Miami Dolphins brought on Mike McDaniel to run their team, players and coaches alike have come out of the woodwork to support the new head man in South Florida.

It seems that everyone who’s had an interaction with McDaniel talks about his infectious energy and vast football knowledge.

This week, McDaniel received some more praise from NFL agent Drew Rosenhaus during his weekly segment on WSVN-Fox 7.

“We represent multiple guys on the team, both offense and defense,” said Rosenhaus (transcribed by the Miami Herald). They love him. He’s made a great impression on the players. They really respect his knowledge. He has made an impression on the players that he’s a brilliant football mind.

A lot of players have commented that it’s been tough — the workouts, the practices, the conditioning has been brutal. Maybe even tougher than what they’ve had in the past. McDaniel has made a great impression, but he’s also a guy who’s proving that he’s going to demand that players work extremely hard.

According to Spotrac, Rosenhaus represents Tyreek Hill, Emmanuel Ogbah, Jerome Baker, Connor Williams and Sheldrick Redwine. Those are some great names to have backing the head coach

While, ultimately, McDaniel’s legacy will be decided when games are actually played, it’s good to know that he has support and belief from a number of his players before the season even starts.

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2022/05/26/drew-rosenhaus-players-love-mike-mcdaniel/

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 03:46:51 pm »

I really hope that McDaniels can make it work.  He's like my ideal model for a coach....I'll see how the play calling goes, but I'm really digging his vibe.

I drink your milkshake!
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 05:32:23 pm »

That's reassuring, because the danger with a guy like McDaniel is that the team becomes a circus where the inmates run the asylum and the team takes the field in a non-serious, disorganized manner.  The fact that McDaniel is both demanding and respected is just what the doctor ordered to mix with his more silly and free-wheeling characteristics.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 06:17:59 pm »

Well we are still in the honeymoon period so he would have to be really bad to not be liked at this point.  But just like drafting a player you hope he lives up to his potential.  Being a head coach in the NFL is probably the toughest coaching job out there.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2022, 07:41:54 pm »

I don't mind see McDaniel break the mold with his style - he's certainly fraternizing with the players MUCH more than any head coach I've ever seen - but you have to realize that he's painting a target on his back.  If he finishes his first year even 8-9, there will be knives coming out for him that will make Cam Cameron weep in pity.

ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2022, 06:43:49 am »

Coaches that demand you do the fundamentals correctly and keep you practicing it until you get it right are the ones that win more games than they lose.  Way more.
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2022, 08:21:23 am »

Coaches that demand you do the fundamentals correctly and keep you practicing it until you get it right are the ones that win more games than they lose.  Way more.

And at some point you have to generate leadership among the players in that regard, as well, whereby the players themselves do that sort of "policing" of each other and inspire each other to practice well and play well.  If the coaching staff is doing that in the absence of player leadership, the message will hardly get through.  Players listen to established and credible leaders among each other far more than they listen to coaches.  Ray Lewis had far more an effect on his teammates than any coach ever did.

Famous story about Bill Parcells and his assistants walking off the field during poor practices by the players.  That's the kind of thing that fosters player leadership.  Someone among the players has to take over under those circumstances, and that player(s) then inherently functions as a leader.

https://tinyurl.com/yvm3brnb

Notice Pepper Johnson, a high-quality and fiery linebacker, took over under those circumstances.  You simply must have players who function in that capacity if you want to be competitive against the best teams in the league.  When physical talent becomes roughly equal -- i.e., the playoffs -- it's team characteristics like those (player leadership) that make the difference.
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2022, 08:54:19 am »

The recent comments by Mike Westhoff about the disorganization of practice are concerning in this regard.

Again the concern for someone like McDaniel will always be whether his style results in an "inmates running the asylum" team characterized by a circus-like atmosphere and lots of disorganization.  There is at least a kernel of truth to the maxim that "the team takes on the personality of its coach," and McDaniel is going to have to exhibit or instill something that balances his silly, nonchalant demeanor such that the team can function with the appropriate "personality."

Obviously the jury is still out on all of this, but when a long-time NFL coach observes practice and remarks publicly about its disorganization, that in itself isn't consistent with McDaniel's overcoming this potential issue.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2022, 09:00:56 am »

The recent comments by Mike Westhoff about the disorganization of practice are concerning in this regard.

Again the concern for someone like McDaniel will always be whether his style results in an "inmates running the asylum" team characterized by a circus-like atmosphere and lots of disorganization.  There is at least a kernel of truth to the maxim that "the team takes on the personality of its coach," and McDaniel is going to have to exhibit or instill something that balances his silly, nonchalant demeanor such that the team can function with the appropriate "personality."

Obviously the jury is still out on all of this, but when a long-time NFL coach observes practice and remarks publicly about its disorganization, that in itself isn't consistent with McDaniel's overcoming this potential issue.

Take whatever Mike Westhoff says with a grain of salt.   He's still bitter over the way he was let go and will always find something negative to say about this team.
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2022, 09:41:34 am »

Take whatever Mike Westhoff says with a grain of salt.   He's still bitter over the way he was let go and will always find something negative to say about this team.

What has he said that's negative about the team between then and now?  He was let go by the team 22 years ago.  Did he wait until now to speak out negatively about the team, or is there some previous history of this in the intervening 22 years?
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2022, 10:14:52 am »

I like Westhoff but he was there on a bad day. The day prior and the day after were much better. Joe Rose was at all of them, and with Mike the day he was there, and interviewed him the following day. If all practices were that bad the Miami media would be killing them. As it is, they are reaching for stories right now.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2022, 12:22:45 pm »

Like I indicated earlier, at the conclusion of this season Mike McDaniel and Tua will either be elite prodigies or incompetent bums.  Tyreek Hill will either be an inspired addition or a cancer.
 The way this offseason has played out has basically removed all moderate reactions.

Right now, I would be more surprised to see a 9-8 season than I would to see a 12-win OR a 12-loss season.  The Dolphins need to get out of the gate fast or the media will absolutely dogpile them.  The good/bad news is that if MIA can come out of week 4 at 3-1 or 2-2 (no small feat), they'll be positioned to go on a run.  If the Dolphins are a legitimate team, they should be 10-2 or 9-3 heading into the second Bills game.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 12:26:50 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2022, 01:30:55 pm »

Like I indicated earlier, at the conclusion of this season Mike McDaniel and Tua will either be elite prodigies or incompetent bums.  Tyreek Hill will either be an inspired addition or a cancer.
 The way this offseason has played out has basically removed all moderate reactions.

Right now, I would be more surprised to see a 9-8 season than I would to see a 12-win OR a 12-loss season.  The Dolphins need to get out of the gate fast or the media will absolutely dogpile them.  The good/bad news is that if MIA can come out of week 4 at 3-1 or 2-2 (no small feat), they'll be positioned to go on a run.  If the Dolphins are a legitimate team, they should be 10-2 or 9-3 heading into the second Bills game.
I wish it would be that easy but I'm guessing we fall somehere in the middle.  As much as the offense ha improved it is still behind our defense right now. It's Tua's 4th or 5th offensive coordinator in 3 years and a new offense. They don't really practice enough to get too comfortable out the gate so it could take a little time to come together. Besides ... we still don't know how good of an offensive line and running game we will have.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2022, 03:08:43 pm »

There is a long line of great coordinator that brought a new vine that was highly complemented during the off season that ultimately didn't have what it takes to be HC.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2022, 08:22:12 am »

There is a long line of great coordinator that brought a new vine that was highly complemented during the off season that ultimately didn't have what it takes to be HC.

One of the best things for McDaniel is he is coming into the season with experienced coaches and a successful defense in it's 4th year. Not many coahes get to take over teams that were over .500 the season prior let lone one with one side of the ball pretty much set.  

Edited to add McDaniel's comments about what has surpised him the most since becomeing coach ...

“The realization when you have your footing within the building, and you’re getting to utilize all of these different relationships,” McDaniel said. “You work your whole career to get the opportunity to have this job. You’re going through the coaching ranks, and you have that pinnacle which is to be a head coach, and when you get to your dream job, the one that you’ve been preparing for your whole career, at that moment is when you’re the most dependant upon other people to do your job.”
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 08:53:35 am by CF DolFan » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray