Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:12:17 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Connor Williams is Our New Center
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Connor Williams is Our New Center  (Read 1329 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« on: June 08, 2022, 01:23:08 pm »

On the surface, not a fan of this move. He has very limited experience at Center and he had a very good year at Guard, which is what we signed him to do. Deiter was....serviceable. Now, it looks like he is the odd man out with Robert Hunt/Liam Eichenberg filling out the RG/RT spots in whichever order and Austin Jackson at LG? Maybe Austin bombs and Deiter wins the job in camp?

We'll see how it plays out. I'm not envisioning a Doomsday scenario but I was hoping we could limit the O-Line shuffling this year.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2022, 03:03:48 pm »

On the surface, not a fan of this move. He has very limited experience at Center and he had a very good year at Guard, which is what we signed him to do. Deiter was....serviceable. Now, it looks like he is the odd man out with Robert Hunt/Liam Eichenberg filling out the RG/RT spots in whichever order and Austin Jackson at LG? Maybe Austin bombs and Deiter wins the job in camp?

We'll see how it plays out. I'm not envisioning a Doomsday scenario but I was hoping we could limit the O-Line shuffling this year.
As of right now it's:
LT - Armstead
LG - Eichenberg
C - Williams
RG - Hunt
RT - Jackson

I'm sure that's subject to change, but that's what they were doing in camp.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2022, 03:50:39 pm »

As of right now it's:
LT - Armstead
LG - Eichenberg
C - Williams
RG - Hunt
RT - Jackson

I'm sure that's subject to change, but that's what they were doing in camp.

I am not a fan of Austin as RT. He is probably the weakest starter we have now. With a whole new offensive line coach and staff and system, I am willing to be open minded but of those 5, Hunt is our best RT. I know the argument for leaving him at the spot he was good at but it's Tua's blind side. All the upgrades don't matter if Jackson is a turnstile and Tua is running for his life again.

If Eichenberg can have a good year between two veterans, all spots aside from RT look to be very strong.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2022, 05:04:31 pm »

Was there some recent development?  Williams signed with the Dolphins back in March.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2022, 08:32:19 am »

Was there some recent development?  Williams signed with the Dolphins back in March.

Reports by the Miami Herald and also based off of training camps so far.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2022, 08:32:23 am »

I am not a fan of Austin as RT. He is probably the weakest starter we have now. With a whole new offensive line coach and staff and system, I am willing to be open minded but of those 5, Hunt is our best RT. I know the argument for leaving him at the spot he was good at but it's Tua's blind side. All the upgrades don't matter if Jackson is a turnstile and Tua is running for his life again.

If Eichenberg can have a good year between two veterans, all spots aside from RT look to be very strong.
I'd rather see Jackson at G and Hunt at RT, but I'll trust they know what they're doing for now.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2022, 10:48:34 am »

I'd rather see Jackson at G and Hunt at RT, but I'll trust they know what they're doing for now.

I trust that if Jackson sucks at his 3rd position in 3 years during training camp, he won't be our Week 1 RT. McDaniel doesn't want to start off the new era with a 6 sack performance against Tua.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2022, 11:50:05 am »

It is a lot harder to transition from G to C, then C to G. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2022, 11:54:42 am »

It is a lot harder to transition from G to C, then C to G. 

I know, which is why I think if Jackson or other pieces struggle in preseason, they will shift Deiter back to Center, Connor to Guard and whoever sucks the most is on the bench.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2022, 11:42:12 am »

It's hard for me to get too excited either way about this stuff so far out. I'm giving everyone a new slate under these new competent coaches until they prove otherwise. The hope is the two guys we made the high draft picks for are serviceable in Eichenberg and Jackson. Williams was back up center in Dallas so it isn't like it's an alien position for him. The biggest question for me is if we ever find out why Soloman Kindley didn't get to play last year and if he will this year.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2022, 11:53:05 am »

It's hard for me to get too excited either way about this stuff so far out. I'm giving everyone a new slate under these new competent coaches until they prove otherwise. The hope is the two guys we made the high draft picks for are serviceable in Eichenberg and Jackson. Williams was back up center in Dallas so it isn't like it's an alien position for him. The biggest question for me is if we ever find out why Soloman Kindley didn't get to play last year and if he will this year.

I 100% forgot about Solomon and his mysterious disappearance. Sadly, I haven't heard a thing about him so far. I thught it was just Flores being an asshole but if he is still MIA, then I fear it is some emotional or personal issue because his performance warranted playing time. Especially with our terrible O-Line last year.
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2022, 12:28:26 pm »

I suspect this has something to do with Williams's athleticism and how it impacts the run game.  The center is very often the lineman moving to the second level to block LBs in the run game, and I suspect McDaniel and company identified Williams as someone with the athleticism to do that and targeted him for the center position all along.

https://ras.football/2019/12/26/connor-williams-ras/
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 12:30:19 pm by Dolfanalyst » Logged
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2022, 01:49:33 pm »

New WR/Special Teamer Trent Sherfield was on Joe Rose this morning and spoke about how McDaniel has offensive lineman doing things they don't normally do like moving out and getting to blocks not normally expected. I'm guessing athleticism is going to be very important.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2022, 03:35:25 pm »

New WR/Special Teamer Trent Sherfield was on Joe Rose this morning and spoke about how McDaniel has offensive lineman doing things they don't normally do like moving out and getting to blocks not normally expected. I'm guessing athleticism is going to be very important.

I think McDaniel himself said this is a very athletic O-Line. So, we definitely got some new schemes going on and thank God for that. IF the coaching is good and the players are good, we pretty much got our whole line set for at least 3 years. That would be amazing.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2022, 04:54:56 pm »

Kindley is probably going to get cut.  He's a straight-line mover, but doesn't have the athleticism for this scheme.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray