Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:04:50 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  What are you watching? 6/17/2022
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: What are you watching? 6/17/2022  (Read 1254 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: June 17, 2022, 02:32:39 pm »

My current regimen of TV:

Obi Wan Kenobi - I like this show a lot.  Of the Star Wars shows, so far, it's the one, to me, that has the most to say to improve its characters.  The use of old actors and scenarios and locations seems more natural in this that in the other shows, where the cameos very much feel like cameos.

Star Trek Strange New Worlds - I am loving this, too.  It's episodic, like TNG -- it's also handling some of Star Trek's progressive idealism in a less ham-fisted way than Discovery.   The old uniforms and tech are welcome, visually.  And Captain Pike, though I didn't think it was possible, is one of my favorite captains ever.  They made him fun and kinda dad-joke goofy, but he currently sits as my #2 Trek Captain of All-Time.

Stranger Things - I have one episode left until the mid-season break and I like this season.  I love Steve and Robin and Max and it's nice to see these characters get a front seat.  Nancy is also holding up her end of things.  It started a little angsty for me in the first episode, but found its footing.

The Boys - This show is crazy and is a great social commentary.  I really recommend it if you haven't tried it yet.  It's wild and has some of the most bonkers shit I've ever seen on TV.  The tone is horrifying while also funny.

Ms. Marvel - I've only seen the first episode, but wasn't sure what to expect.  It has so little word of mouth in my circles, but I have heard critical love.  And I really, really liked the presentation of it.  The tone is fun and more colorful and light-hearted than some of the downer, drab Marvel offerings.  This show has a little bit of Scott Pilgrim vs. The World vibe to it and isn't basking in the gloom of "the snap" like a lot of the other material right now.

Friends - I'm just binge-rewatching this series late at night when I'm tired, which I did with Seinfeld before.  It's fine -- nostalgic and familiar.  I'm nearing the end and am getting into some of the lesser quality stuff.  The guest stars are insane, though....really famous people are on this show all the time.

For movies - I'm hitting up things made in 1971 pretty hard this month and I like the era.  It's gritty and dirty and dark.  But the movies are easier to follow and make more immediate sense than a lot of stuff I was watching from the 60s.  Recently saw Dirty Harry, Shaft and a bunch of other lesser known stuff.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2022, 10:35:32 pm »

I just started Strange New Worlds. I'm really enjoying it.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 07:56:56 am »

-I don't know if it makes me gay or not (old Ron and Ron joke) but we have just finished Vampire Diaries. Not sure how we started watching but ended up watching all 8 seasons and are now watching The Originals.

- As far as Friends ... I watch it almost every night right now as I don't sleep very well. It's on Nickelodeon pretty much all night. Kind of funny to see how many of the jokes would be innapropriate ro offensive today.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 10:24:39 am »

-I don't know if it makes me gay or not

It does.

j/k

I watch it almost every night right now as I don't sleep very well. It's on Nickelodeon pretty much all night. Kind of funny to see how many of the jokes would be innapropriate ro offensive today.

I agree and I notice it with this shoe a lot, although I don't think the jokes are so much inappropriate or offensive, so much as they just haven't aged well and then just don't land the same because we're different as a culture.  SO MUCH of the comedy is about the differences of men and women and the implied (or even explicit) idea that you are less of a man or should be shamed if you do the things (or get caught doing things) that women like....but it's super tame.  ...like if you take a bath and you're a dude, that's laugh-worthy.

I just think that society has moved on, as a whole, away from that idea.  The idea of "give me your man card" is a very 90s-centric joke.  ...so not offensive, per se, but I see the same thing with these old movies I'm watching or when it's a period drama.  The references to social norms just change and while you get the joke, you don't really connect with it the same way.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2022, 08:26:45 am »

It does.

j/k

I agree and I notice it with this shoe a lot, although I don't think the jokes are so much inappropriate or offensive, so much as they just haven't aged well and then just don't land the same because we're different as a culture.  SO MUCH of the comedy is about the differences of men and women and the implied (or even explicit) idea that you are less of a man or should be shamed if you do the things (or get caught doing things) that women like....but it's super tame.  ...like if you take a bath and you're a dude, that's laugh-worthy.

I just think that society has moved on, as a whole, away from that idea.  The idea of "give me your man card" is a very 90s-centric joke.  ...so not offensive, per se, but I see the same thing with these old movies I'm watching or when it's a period drama.  The references to social norms just change and while you get the joke, you don't really connect with it the same way.
hahaha ... look at you with an old school joke. I agree with you about Friends and I'd think the younger generation wouldn't get it or approve but both my kids binged it a few years ago on Netflix or something and loved it. 

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2022, 10:05:23 am »

I finally watched The West Wing, straight through, and that was phenomenal. Now, I've moved on to the next series on my list...Yellowstone. That has been crazy good. I wrapped up season 3 a few days ago, so I have one more season to catch up on before I am current on that.

Two other shows I am watching are the Disney channel's Obi Wan Kinobe. and the newest Star Trek, Strange New Worlds. Both are decent but not overly spectacular.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2022, 10:06:41 am »

I did watch the first episode of Ms Marvel...not sure if I will continue, as it seems very "teen soap opera" kinda feel...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2022, 10:37:21 am »

I finally watched The West Wing, straight through, and that was phenomenal. Now, I've moved on to the next series on my list...Yellowstone. That has been crazy good. I wrapped up season 3 a few days ago, so I have one more season to catch up on before I am current on that.

Two other shows I am watching are the Disney channel's Obi Wan Kinobe. and the newest Star Trek, Strange New Worlds. Both are decent but not overly spectacular.

We jumped on the Yellowstone train just before season 4. It really sucked to wait week to week after binge watching the first tree.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2022, 12:05:23 pm »

I don't know what it was about Yellowstone, but I couldn't get into it.  Everyone loves it so much, but I really hated the characters after the first episode.  I may have to go back to it at some point.  I felt the same way about Succession, which every also raves about.

I drink your milkshake!
SlothVomit

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2022, 01:06:19 pm »

Yellowstone is incredible. I binged it and then my GF jumped on the bandwagon and I re-watched it all again less than a month later. 1883 is phenomenal as well.  

Ms. Marvel is just ok. But I will watch anything MCU based to stay current. I can already call a huge cameo just so folks watch.

Obi Wan is there. I don't get excited anymore about Star Wars and that's a huge bummer. Boba Fett really did it in for me. However the Mandalorian keeps me around. Andor has my interest but I keep expectations low.  

The Boys. Holy shit. I can't wait to watch it each week. It may be the same BS over and over, cunt this and that and exploding bodies. But I enjoy the hell out of it. This week's episode "herogasm" is one I read in comic form and it's either gonna be a masterpiece or complete disaster. Someone will be offended. Can't wait.

Survivor. I never watched it. Ever. My GF put it on a few weeks back and now we are watching from season 1. Its so stupid that I can't take my eyes away from the BS drama on screen.

Stranger Things. They released the final trailer for the last 2 episodes and I really hope they end it well. It made me feel like they will. This final season has been such a great watch.

Movies:

Top Gun - 9/10. I loved it. It wasn't anything groundbreaking it just felt good.  

JW Dominion - 5/10. I didn't hate it like most but I also didn't like it. It's just there.

Thor 4 - Next up. I have my IMAX Thursday night tickets and ready to watch with the normal cluster of nerds who wait past the credits.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 01:08:17 pm by SlothVomit » Logged
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2022, 03:36:09 pm »

New series out on Hulu called The Old Man

First two episodes are in the books.  Long story short, this guy was a CIA officer for years, then absconded and lived off the grid for a long time.   Suddenly, an assassin shows up at his house to kill him but he dispatches the would be killer with ease. 

I'm anxious to see where this goes.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2022, 03:52:36 pm »

Shows: 
The Boys
Evil
Kenobi
Binging old episodes of Flip or Flop (I'm a sucker for HGTV)
Trying to get into Clone Wars since the new Star Wars shows seem to take characters from it...but it's not too good so far.
Gutfeld (I know, crucify me for watching a FoxNews show, I find him funny)
Halo (I never cared about the game lore, so it was a fine show with a lot of action for me)

Movies:
Everything Everywhere All at Once - One of the most unique, refreshing, heartwarming and just all around good movies I've seen in quite some time.
Uncharted - For a mindless action film it was okay.  Some really stupid Fast and the Furious style physics defying stuff though.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2022, 11:09:35 am »

hahahaha ... has anyone seen Snowflake Mountain on Netflix? It has some pretty funny moments. Well at least it does for this Gen Xer. I don't think most people would have an issue doing the things they are supposed to do but I could be wrong in today's world. It wouldn't be the first time.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2022, 11:32:31 am »

Binging old episodes of Flip or Flop (I'm a sucker for HGTV)

Weird recommendation for you if you like that kind of thing -- there's a popular British show that you can watch on Peacock called Escape to the Chateau.

It's a home reno show, essentially, but these people bought an old French castle and the guy is fixing it up to host weddings.  It's fun, they're likable, and it's not the same stuff you've seen over and over.  Also, his wife is really quirky and artsy and does weird stuff with the spaces.

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2022, 12:00:04 pm »

Weird recommendation for you if you like that kind of thing -- there's a popular British show that you can watch on Peacock called Escape to the Chateau.

It's a home reno show, essentially, but these people bought an old French castle and the guy is fixing it up to host weddings.  It's fun, they're likable, and it's not the same stuff you've seen over and over.  Also, his wife is really quirky and artsy and does weird stuff with the spaces.
I'll check it out.  I can't watch it if the people aren't a little bit likeable, but that sounds cool.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray