Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:43:34 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Camp Notes so far
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Camp Notes so far  (Read 1592 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: August 04, 2022, 04:35:20 pm »

Not much being said about camp but we are more than week in and the team looks pretty good. Larry Csonka said the energy of the team reminds him of the first year when Shula was here. For the first time since drafting Tua Joe Rose said it looks like we will have a chance with him as our QB. Joe has been on the Justin Herbert train. Apparently,  it's almost 50/50 to which side makes the play. I bring up these two guys opinions becuase they are super slow in buying into the hype but it looks like its happening this year. Hell ... they even say the offensive line looks much more comfortable on the field and everyone knows that is our weakest point. The new zone blocking scheme is opening holes for our RBs.

One thing of note ... we are regurally throwing down field which hasn't happened since Dan Marino.

Players who have impressed. Most of the players you would expect or hope for ... Tua, Hill, Waddle, Wilkins, Phillips, Chase Edmonds etc

Other dark horses that are having breakout performances
WR Erik Ezukanma
WR Undrafted rookie Braylon Sanders

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2022, 05:03:50 pm »

Liam Eichenberg got the orange jersey one of those days, meaning he was the best player on the field the day before.  I've heard great things about Austin Jackson too.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2022, 02:19:31 am »

I'm pretty hesitant to buy into the "energy" assessments without first looking to see what people were saying about training camp in Gase's first year, or Cameron's, or Saban's, etc.  That's not to say I'm not excited about this team, but right now the most unproven person on the team isn't All-Pro Tyreek, or rookie reception record-holder Waddle, or even national champion Tua.  It's Mike McDaniel.

Tua may have the most on the line this year, but McDaniel is definitely the biggest question mark.  Show me, don't tell me.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 02:22:31 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2022, 08:41:07 am »

Liam Eichenberg got the orange jersey one of those days, meaning he was the best player on the field the day before.  I've heard great things about Austin Jackson too.

Connor Williams is supposedly doing very well at Center too. It's not shocking that our 1st and 2nd round picks at O-Line are doing much better when surrounded by better teammates and better coaching. Hope this carries over into the regular season because if we're throwing downfield more, Tua will need some time.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2022, 09:19:20 am »

I'm pretty hesitant to buy into the "energy" assessments without first looking to see what people were saying about training camp in Gase's first year, or Cameron's, or Saban's, etc.  That's not to say I'm not excited about this team, but right now the most unproven person on the team isn't All-Pro Tyreek, or rookie reception record-holder Waddle, or even national champion Tua.  It's Mike McDaniel.

Tua may have the most on the line this year, but McDaniel is definitely the biggest question mark.  Show me, don't tell me.
The old school guys have never jumped on the hype which is different right now. I get being cautiously optimistic but his offense is opening guys up to not only get yards but chunk yards. The biggest question mark is going to be how he reacts to adversity. Preston Williams is kind of his first test IMO. When we lose a game or two will definitley show what he's really made of.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2022, 03:35:27 pm »

Jason Sanders has been perfect in camp and they say he is killing it. Good to hear he is returning to form. Biggest issue I keep seeing is at center with bad snaps. They aren't geting away from them but surely aren't as smooth as they want them to be in shotgun. 

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2022, 04:23:07 pm »

Jason Sanders has been perfect in camp and they say he is killing it. Good to hear he is returning to form. Biggest issue I keep seeing is at center with bad snaps. They aren't geting away from them but surely aren't as smooth as they want them to be in shotgun. 

Kickers are notoriously fickle, which is why you don't see them retire with their drafting team too often. Still, he can be elite when he is on so I'm glad he is doing well.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2022, 05:57:49 pm »

Kickers are notoriously fickle, which is why you don't see them retire with their drafting team too often. Still, he can be elite when he is on so I'm glad he is doing well.

I really doubt kickers are more likely than other positions to switch teams when accounting for draft position and longevity of career.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2022, 03:49:09 pm »

Third string QB Skylar Thompson has been getting a lot of love with a strong arm. So much that people are thinking he may not make it to the practice squad. These three preseason games are going to be huge for him in general.

We have been bringing guys to snap. No one is telling the full status of Dieter's foot so who knows?

Joint practices start with the Bucs start tomorrow (Wed & Thurs) with the first preseason game on Saturday night. Brady is not playing.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2022, 04:38:50 pm »

Brady is not playing.

Oh no.  How is ever going to be ready for the season without the reps?   Smiley

ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2022, 05:17:47 pm »

Oh no.  How is ever going to be ready for the season without the reps?   Smiley

I know you're being sarcastic but lately I've been seeing a lot more vets being held out of preseason games.   I think preseason games are going to be a thing of the past once the regular season expands to 18/19 games.   Coaching staffs will simply hold joint scrimmages.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2022, 06:54:19 pm »

I wouldn't expect Tua and company to play much, if at all either. Like Artie said ... they seem to be leaning more on the scrimmages for the vets. 

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2022, 07:32:06 pm »

I don't think the decline in how much the vets play when they got rid of one preseason game has anything with to do with protecting them from injury or giving them rest etc but rather the need to evaluate bubble players and  give rookies practice.  Under the old system if the vet qb played 6 quarters during the preseason the backup could get 10 quarters of experience.  Today if you want the backup to get 10 quarters of experience the starter can only play 2 quarters.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2022, 11:56:12 am »

A lot of good things today vs the Bucs. Practice is over so we will see official results but the tweets I've been watching have been enouraging. This last one from Travis Wingfield kind of quickly sums it up.

Tweet
See new Tweets
Conversation
Travis Wingfield
@WingfieldNFL
Practice is over - much more difficult to live tweet today so the podcast will have a lot more.

My very unofficial scorecard gave a slight edge to the Miami offense over the Tampa defense, but a decided win for the Fins D on the TB O in team periods.

ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2022, 02:00:33 pm »

A lot of good things today vs the Bucs. Practice is over so we will see official results but the tweets I've been watching have been enouraging. This last one from Travis Wingfield kind of quickly sums it up.

Tweet
See new Tweets
Conversation
Travis Wingfield
@WingfieldNFL
Practice is over - much more difficult to live tweet today so the podcast will have a lot more.

My very unofficial scorecard gave a slight edge to the Miami offense over the Tampa defense, but a decided win for the Fins D on the TB O in team periods.

I'm seeing that practice got chippy today towards the end.   Hopefully these guys can keep their emotions in check during the game.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray