Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:15:27 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Police paranoia.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Police paranoia.  (Read 393 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« on: August 12, 2022, 01:50:52 pm »

Unfortunately for a long time police have taken a paranoid, bunker mentality pretending they have the most dangerous job in America and everyone is trying to kill them.  This paranoia along with a motto of "I am going home at the end of my shift" replacing "Protect and serve" has lead to the needless deaths of people like George Floyd, Tamir Rice, Philando Castile, etc. 

And this was a pure fantasy they invented.  The reality is most "bad people" aren't trying to kill cops.  They are trying to avoid cops.  If a mugger in NYC is out hunting and sees a cop he avoids the cop, he doesn't try and kill him.  Drug dealers aren't trying to hunt down cops and kill them, they are trying to avoid cops.  It was extremely rare that someone would actively seek to kill a cop.  Yeah some cops got killed if they engaged a "bad person" who was armed, but for the most part that "bad person's" first choice would have been to avoid the cops.  I am not saying it never happened.  Just that it was extremely rare.  Much too rare to warrant the paranoid shoot first, "It is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6" mentality prevalent in most police departments.

While BLM has been categorized as "anti-cop"  the theme of BLM has been less, better trained, more diverse cops, not kill all the cops.  The BLM movement has never been about killing police officers. Hasn't been the rhetoric.  (Yeah, I am sure you can find some counter example of one person nobody was paying attention to that isn't actually a part of BLM that a rightwing media source used to "prove" BLM is violent).  The reality is up until today the anti-police movement have all been largely non-violent.  Some property damage, but nonviolent.  Some defensive measures when police starting clubbing people or tear gassing peaceful protesters, but no offensive measures by the protesters.   

Unfortunately, that is changing.  And not for the better.  Republican leadership engaging in the same dangerous rhetoric that led to the violent insurrection on Jan 6.  We are seeing the same calls for Civil war on rightwing forums we saw after the election.  Rather than calls to hang Mike Pence they are calling on each other to kill FBI agents and other law enforcement officers.  And one person has already tried to do just that. 

The way things are going two things are almost inevitable: 

(1) Some LEOs are going to be murdered by right-wing extremist.  Probably not many.  Police are pretty good at defending themselves.  They wear body armor.  And the right-wing nut jobs are not "a well regulated militia" but psychopaths that know just enough about an AR-15 to murder school children but lack the training to actually engage an armed police officer.   

(2) The police fantasy will be come reality. The police paranoia will now be justified and thus the response all that worse.

The inflammatory rhetoric being spewed forth by the Republican against the FBI will likely result in tens of innocent LEO being murdered by extremists and thousand of innocent civilians being murdered by LEOs. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray