Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:22:42 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  How Important is Week 1?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How Important is Week 1?  (Read 674 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« on: August 15, 2022, 04:39:46 pm »

Every year we try to come up with the best or worst start we could have and what does it mean for the whole season? Last year, I said if we didn't run over New England with a rookie QB, it would be a very bad sign. We ended up needing a minor miracle to hang on and the season basically ended in Week 9.

For me, I'm kinda sticking by my guns with this one. We improved ourselves gratly in the offseason and the Pats look terrible in camp. Mac Jones is nothing special so far either. So, first game with a new coach, I do expect us to win by 20 and will consider any close games an early bad sign.

A loss and I will burn down a small village.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2022, 04:53:37 pm »

I bet many teams who make the playoffs will lose week 1. I swear it seems like the most unpredictable week in sports time and time again. Case in point. We beat the Patriots last year on opening day and yet they make the playoffs and we do not.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2022, 04:56:42 pm »

Obviously every game is important particularly ones against division rivals and home games give you a better chance.  

But a 0-1 start is never a reason to panic.  Teams have won the sb after an 0-2 start.

I am hoping the Patriots win but win or lose it is just one of seventeen games.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 05:01:21 pm »

I'm often one to say that an early game is a must-win, only to take shit for it.  I stand by that I believe I'm usually right about that.

But in this case, I don't think it's all that important.  You really want to win because it's at home, but smart money probably has you splitting with the Pats and still having a path to the playoffs, so even if you blow this one, if you get better and fine-tune, you have an opportunity to steal a game back from them.  If you get swept by the Pats, you're done anyway.

I drink your milkshake!
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2022, 09:09:43 am »

My pats fan brother in law and both of his pats fan sons are coming over week 1 to watch the game with us. So it's crucially important that we win this game for my own personal satisfaction.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2022, 10:06:03 am »

After Week 1, we face the Ravens, Bills and Bengals. Our schedule is fair for the season but we got a brutal start, so winning in Week 1 is a must to me. I don't see us losing to the Pats but defeating the Bengals and Bills.
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2022, 03:32:08 pm »

Dolphins would have made the playoffs last season if Tua had played the Raiders and Indy games.  Yes, he lost the ATL and JAX games all the same, but both the OAK & IND games could have been won if Brissett had not played.

I'd rather be lucky than good.
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2022, 12:01:18 pm »

I don't think it's important in terms of the team's record, as 0-1 versus 1-0 is virtually meaningless.  However, I do think it's important in terms of playing in such a way that it appears the team has started a new and different chapter under McDaniel.  The stadium will be loaded with people, there will be a new and fresh excitement about the team in the air, and the game will be against a division rival that's had a longtime stranglehold over the division (other than Buffalo's recent dominance).  How the team -- especially Tua -- plays will go a long way toward determining whether the excitement can build and continue through the early part of the season.  I don't think a win is necessary for that, but I do believe a certain way they play the game is necessary.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2022, 07:46:40 pm »

IMO it's more important this year because of all the off season changes.  New coach, lots of new impact players, off field distractions, etc.  When that is added to the normal issues - home game against hated division rival, Tua's NEED to be dominate, it makes this a very important game that COULD shape the season.
DenverFinFan
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2022, 12:01:32 pm »

It’s very important. We have to send a message to the criminal enterprise that is the NEP. I don’t ever want Tua to lose to those crooks and I want a blowout that raises Bill’s blood pressure to dangerous levels.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2022, 09:21:45 am »

I saw my brother in law yesterday and he was trash talking about week 1 already. I cannot emphasize how important it is for me personally that we beat the crap out of the NEP like we did in the wildcat game in 2008.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2022, 03:52:43 pm »

interesting note about last weekend's game ... Steve "Goldie" Goldstein just said that Miami's Josh Boyer ran a vanilla defense against former coworker Josh McDaniels so as not to give BB anything extra. Patriots and Raiders are holding joint practices this week and they will surely speak. 

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray