Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:58:19 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  The midterms
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print
Author Topic: The midterms  (Read 3036 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2022, 08:59:36 am »

Just saw this in a CNN article. The Democrats have gone from having 700,000 more registered voters in 2008 to now being behind by about 300,000. That's a 1 million swing in registered voters.. Somehtin else to note ... the population growth of Florida has also given us another House seat which could end up being Republican as well.

When Barack Obama won Florida in 2008, his historic campaign brought a wave of new Democratic voters. Registered Democrats outnumbered Republicans in Florida by nearly 700,000, their largest advantage since 1990.

That gap has dwindled in the years since. But after the 2020 election, the reversal has accelerated and it has touched nearly every part of the state, from the urban cores and their suburbs, to the rural communities that line the Panhandle and dot Central Florida. Republicans grew their numbers in 52 of the state’s 67 counties since Biden and Trump were on the ballot. Meanwhile, there are fewer registered Democrats in all but one county than there were two years ago — a net loss of 331,000 voters overall.

As of last month, there were 5.3 million registered Republicans and just under 5 million Democrats in Florida, marking the first time in state history that the GOP will carry a voter advantage on Election Day.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/01/politics/florida-midterms-2022/index.html
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 01:14:08 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2022, 09:09:30 am »

I can kinda feel the switch.  I moved to a more Cuban focused area and it's much more heavily Republican.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2022, 02:15:56 pm »

Big question is how much of that "Red wave" is people like me.  My entire life I have voted mostly in Democrat primaries and for Democrats in the general election. In the past two primaries I have voted in Republican primaries to vote for candidates that are not extremists.

I am part of the "new Republicans" that left the Democratic party. I voted straight Democrat in early voting.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2022, 02:59:02 pm »

Big question is how much of that "Red wave" is people like me.  My entire life I have voted mostly in Democrat primaries and for Democrats in the general election. In the past two primaries I have voted in Republican primaries to vote for candidates that are not extremists.

I am part of the "new Republicans" that left the Democratic party. I voted straight Democrat in early voting.
It's a very small minority. People didn't move to Florida to turn it into the place they left behind.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2022, 03:19:56 pm »

It's a very small minority. People didn't move to Florida to turn it into the place they left behind.

I know about two dozen people who have moved to Florida.  Not a single one moved to Florida because they wanted a "Red State"  they moved to Florida because they hate snow.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2022, 03:24:37 pm »

I think the single biggest reason that people move here is because they want to retire in a climate different from where they spent their life.

And in most of those cases, they supported local programs and schools because they benefitted from them.
Now that their kids are grown and they just wanna live out their days and be left alone, they vote against spending they used to vote for.

That's probably the single biggest factor, historically, for implants.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2022, 03:26:32 pm »

People didn't move to Florida to turn it into the place they left behind.
This is a common saying: "People don't move to [x] to turn it into the place they left."
But it happens all the time!  You can see this in the frequent complaints from conservatives about being Californiafied by new residents.

People regularly move because of work, school, or family obligations.  They move for a promotion, or to be closer to relatives for child care.  That does not mean they necessarily sign on to banning abortion, or removing discussion of slavery from their kids' history books.

And this argument would never, ever fly in reverse.  Imagine if I tried to claim that any conservative in the military who gets assigned to a base in California now must agree with gun control, high income taxes, and gay marriage.  He didn't move to California to turn it into Texas!

It's a silly point.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2022, 03:31:12 pm »

I know about two dozen people who have moved to Florida.  Not a single one moved to Florida because they wanted a "Red State"  they moved to Florida because they hate snow.
If that's the case then DeSantis and Rubio are toast and you will be happy. I've met at least two dozen (probably more) and not one has said that. We meet people in restaurants and local stores quite often who have recently moved here. They have no problem telling us how they plan on voting ... LOL . I live in an area that has quite  bit of retirees moving down here as I'm not far from the Villages.

A couple of weeks ago we sold a mattress to a couple from Boston area. I think it was Bridgewater or something like that. They were Patriots and Sox fans so we got to talking about my Dolphin flag. In thie course of the converstion they let me and my wife know they were happy to be here under DeSantis but couldn't stomach our teams ... ahahaha. They were both former military and actually why they moved south as she was on disability.

Retirees move for weather. The middle age people are moving for a better life. The higher number aren't because more people are retiring.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2022, 03:50:47 pm »

^^^ Sweet  mercy, CF...you just make shit up that matches up with whatever story you want to tell.

"I know this guy who thinks _____"

"I met this person who said ______"

What a maroon...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2022, 03:58:25 pm »

Funny you say that about me but not Hoodie. Registrations are matching what I "claim" is my experience and it backs me up but the actual facts doesn't matter to you. You just wanted to get a rise out of m and now I'm embarrassed I wasted a moment of my time responding to you. Truth has never mattered to you.

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2022, 04:56:45 pm »

I buy it. I 100% believe that CF has those interactions. I see groups of people here in Connecticut that when they see my license plate (still florida.. working on getting it changed) and they tell me how lucky i am to have desantis as a governor.

It's easy to like the guy that fox news (and related right wing media, social or otherwise) has basically made out to be the best governor in the history of the world.
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2022, 07:50:50 pm »

He sure is wildly popular in Florida and should win this election by a landslide.

I haven't seen him disrespect healthcare workers yet, so that is a plus.

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2022, 05:35:26 pm »

I know about two dozen people who have moved to Florida.  Not a single one moved to Florida because they wanted a "Red State"  they moved to Florida because they hate snow.

That and the lower taxes (income, sales, and property).
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2022, 08:18:48 pm »

That and the lower taxes (income, sales, and property).

For the most part property tax and sales tax was very  similar.  Income tax was mostly irrelevant as they were retired with very little taxable income and living off of savings. Despite the claims of FL politicians the number one draw of Florida is weather not anything they actually do.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2022, 08:23:19 pm »

It's always weird to hear conservatives talk about people loving the economic freedom of TX and FL, when CA has a lot more residents than either one.
"Lots of people want to live here" means your style of governance is better... unless we are talking about every major city in America (nearly all of which are heavily Democratic) where suddenly that stops being the case, and the number of people living there is somehow irrelevant.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 08:43:57 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray