Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:13:35 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  December is coming
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: December is coming  (Read 2746 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2022, 02:04:41 pm »

Home field advantage is more about just being home than about the weather. No travel. Home fans. Home facility. And in some cases a little home cooking from the refs which I think is just natural for refs not to want to piss off the home team fans rather than really wanting the home team to win. Certainly it helps when you are in your own element and the opponent is not, but you both have to play in the same element, so it's not as big of a factor that most people believe in my opinion.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 03:09:30 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2022, 04:13:13 pm »

There are 15 cold weather teams and 17 done/southern teams.  The 15 sent 6 more teams than the 17 in 20 years.  That seems significant.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2022, 04:36:15 pm »

It's not unless you can eliminate all other statistical analysis from being relevant.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2022, 04:49:34 pm »

There are 15 cold weather teams and 17 done/southern teams.  The 15 sent 6 more teams than the 17 in 20 years.  That seems significant.

How much of that is skewed by the Pat's dominance and our shame?
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2022, 04:51:13 pm »

Do you think cold weather front offices are better at identifying HOF QBs?
Or, alternatively, do you believe that cold weather is better for developing QBs?

Because if you look at the All-Pro QBs, in the '00s when Peyton Manning was in IND, warm-weather QBs dominated first-team All-Pro selections, and then in the 2010s when he was playing for DEN, cold-weather QBs dominated first-team All-Pro selections.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2022, 12:11:43 pm »

Do you think cold weather front offices are better at identifying HOF QBs?
Or, alternatively, do you believe that cold weather is better for developing QBs?

Because if you look at the All-Pro QBs, in the '00s when Peyton Manning was in IND, warm-weather QBs dominated first-team All-Pro selections, and then in the 2010s when he was playing for DEN, cold-weather QBs dominated first-team All-Pro selections.

I don't think there is one single factor.  But BOTH.  A team like Green Bay is going to put more emphasis on making sure their QB can play well in cold weather than a dome team AND practicing in cold weather is going to improve the QBs ability to play in cold weather. 

In January if you have a game in 20 degree weather and you have one team that has practiced 10 times and had two games in weather below 20 going against a team that hasn't practiced or played in anything below 40.  The team with experience isn't going to make to make the same mistakes.  Thus they will have an advantage.

Funny you bring up Peyton.  If you were to ask a bunch of football fans the following question, "Name an NFL QB that had tremendous regular season success but routinely fell short in the post-season."   The two most popular answers would be Peyton Manning and Dan Marino. 

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2022, 01:25:24 pm »

Funny you bring up Peyton.  If you were to ask a bunch of football fans the following question, "Name an NFL QB that had tremendous regular season success but routinely fell short in the post-season."   The two most popular answers would be Peyton Manning and Dan Marino. 

Fran Tarkenton: "Yeah, yeah, those two bums..."

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2022, 05:38:50 pm »

Funny you bring up Peyton.  If you were to ask a bunch of football fans the following question, "Name an NFL QB that had tremendous regular season success but routinely fell short in the post-season."   The two most popular answers would be Peyton Manning and Dan Marino.
There are 32 teams in the NFL.
For 23 of those teams, Peyton Manning has won more Super Bowl rings than any of their quarterbacks have ever won for them.

So I guess this just means popular answers are frequently dumb.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2022, 06:28:19 pm »

There are 32 teams in the NFL.
For 23 of those teams, Peyton Manning has won more Super Bowl rings than any of their quarterbacks have ever won for them.

So I guess this just means popular answers are frequently dumb.

Peyton on a dome team.  4 MVPs and multiple regular season records shattered.  Yet only two AFC Championship and one SB in over a decade.  Significant post-season underachieving compared to regular season.

Peyton on an outdoor team.  Wins AFCCG in half the seasons and the SB in a quarter of the seasons.

DenverFinFan
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2022, 01:25:45 am »

Peyton on a dome team.  4 MVPs and multiple regular season records shattered.  Yet only two AFC Championship and one SB in over a decade.  Significant post-season underachieving compared to regular season.

Peyton on an outdoor team.  Wins AFCCG in half the seasons and the SB in a quarter of the seasons.

Yeah but 50 was won in spite of him not because of him. It’s almost a cosmic joke Manning got that second one and Marino has zero.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2022, 02:56:35 am »

Peyton on a dome team.  4 MVPs and multiple regular season records shattered.  Yet only two AFC Championship and one SB in over a decade.  Significant post-season underachieving compared to regular season.

Peyton on an outdoor team.  Wins AFCCG in half the seasons and the SB in a quarter of the seasons.
Again, anyone who thinks that Peyton had more to do with his second SB win (on an outdoor team) than he had to do with the first one (on a dome team) isn't worth listening to.

Popular answers are frequently dumb, and can't be relied upon to be accurate.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2022, 04:28:11 am »

Again, anyone who thinks that Peyton had more to do with his second SB win (on an outdoor team) than he had to do with the first one (on a dome team) isn't worth listening to.

Popular answers are frequently dumb, and can't be relied upon to be accurate.

you are missing the point. the reason wasn’t the qb.  the reason is the TEAM.  Cold weather  teams have a huge home field advantages over dome/warm teams in January. 

DenverFinFan
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2022, 04:07:47 pm »

8-3 heading into December. Can’t see I feel better or worse but damn if this isn’t the perfect storm for a collapse.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2022, 06:35:33 pm »

Three consecutive road games: @ San Fran, @ Chargers, and @ Buffalo; then home against the Packers to finish out the month.  I wouldn't be surprised if they went 4-0, but I'd be happy to see them go 3-1.  If they are going to be a winning playoff team they can't go worse than 2-2.  San Fran is probably close to an even matchup, Chargers haven't been playing that great, Allen has been throwing a lot of Int's in Buffalo.  Buffalo's pass rush defense is hurting, Von Miller will probably miss the next two games.  I think the weather could be the deciding factor for the Buffalo game, hopefully it will be a 40 degree and sunny day, without much wind.

Then New Years Day is on the road to NE, which is another game that is dependent on the weather.  And finally finishing at home against the Jets which could decide who wins the division.  I watched the Jets game today, which was in a cold rain, Jets QB Mike White had a great game.  Granted it was against a lackluster Bears team, but his passes had zip and were right on target - fantastic for the conditions.  Zach Wilson didn't even dress for the game, so they are pissed at him.
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2022, 07:24:00 pm »

Three consecutive road games: @ San Fran, @ Chargers, and @ Buffalo; then home against the Packers to finish out the month.  I wouldn't be surprised if they went 4-0, but I'd be happy to see them go 3-1.  If they are going to be a winning playoff team they can't go worse than 2-2.  San Fran is probably close to an even matchup, Chargers haven't been playing that great, Allen has been throwing a lot of Int's in Buffalo.  Buffalo's pass rush defense is hurting, Von Miller will probably miss the next two games.  I think the weather could be the deciding factor for the Buffalo game, hopefully it will be a 40 degree and sunny day, without much wind.

Then New Years Day is on the road to NE, which is another game that is dependent on the weather.  And finally finishing at home against the Jets which could decide who wins the division.  I watched the Jets game today, which was in a cold rain, Jets QB Mike White had a great game.  Granted it was against a lackluster Bears team, but his passes had zip and were right on target - fantastic for the conditions.  Zach Wilson didn't even dress for the game, so they are pissed at him.

If the Chargers beat the Dolphins, they certainly become a challenge.  They have a very easy schedule the rest of the way

The Patriots will have a much tougher schedule the rest of the way. 

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray