Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:57:39 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Can snow be exported?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Can snow be exported?  (Read 588 times)
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« on: November 17, 2022, 09:21:08 pm »

Just curious

Could we export the snow Buffalo gets this weekend to drought-stricken countries?

Or could we put in the Mississippi River to help replenish it?

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2022, 08:08:29 pm »

No.

First off,  let's dispel the notion of transporting snow. Snow is basically water with packing peanuts, making it take up 10x the amount of space. Snow also has an annoying habit of undergoing phase change, going from solid to liquid.

Fortunately, water is much easier to deal with, especially over significant distances, since it can be pumped and piped.

So can we pipe water to drought-stricken areas of the country? Yes, in theory, but there are two pretty much insurmountable problems: No one wants to let go of their water. And it's simply way too expensive.

Pipelines connecting the Mississippi River (now drought-strikken itself) and the Colorado have been trying to get off the ground for over a decade. The cost was originally estimated in the few tens of billions for even a small pipeline. Estimates of reasonably sized pipelines today are more like a 100 billion.

That's simply too much money for something our society is built on being essentially free. Sure, you pay money for water (average residential price of water in the US is about  $6 per thousand gallons), but much of that is infrastructure and disposal, which would need to happen anyway.

Large-scale users of water (like farmers) pay something like a tenth of what you do and they consume *much* more water than you do (80% of California's water consumption is agriculture). To keep prices at that level, the water itself needs to be essentially free and that isn't happening if you need to pipe it half way across the country.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2022, 03:24:02 pm »

The Great Lakes are the largest freshwater resource in the world.
If we wanted to ship water around the country with no regard to cost, we would do it from there.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2022, 06:36:33 pm »

I really didn't expect a response.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2022, 12:45:52 pm »

Yes, you can export snow, and for a limited time only, you can also purchase wind for 50% off.

Act now, before supplies run out!!

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2022, 02:19:54 pm »

I sometimes watch survival style reality shows, like Alone or Naked and Afraid.  On those shows, it often comes up that melting snow for water is not all that efficient.  Sure, do it, because it's passive, but snow is only about 10% water, so you have to melt a whole lot of it to get much worthwhile.

I drink your milkshake!
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2022, 04:02:36 pm »

have you watched survivorman ? i like that one the most for the genre
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2022, 04:34:42 pm »

have you watched survivorman ? i like that one the most for the genre

I have seen Survivorman many times, but it is not my favorite. 

The best of one these I saw was Alone: Season 9.

The premise was that if you can live alone in the arctic for 100 days, you win a million bucks.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray