Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:47:42 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  2022 World Cup
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: 2022 World Cup  (Read 3532 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2022, 11:33:14 am »

I've been watching a lot of this tournament, considering I don't really "get" soccer.

I find these 0-0 ties pretty hard to stomach.  You watch for 2 hours and nothing happens.  I don't think I understand the game well enough or something.  Like, I understand the rules, but it seems like an entire game of "almosts."  And if you don't actually score, everything resets anyway -- it's not like there's some greater field position battle.
If you don't watch soccer on a regular basis you won't understand what's happening. Much of what happens in soccer is about possession. Most sports one teams gets possession and they have a chance to score then the other team gets possession and they have a chance to score, back and forth you go, but soccer isn't like that, not really. There's no shot clock in soccer. There's no 4th down. There's no 3 outs. There's nothing forcing you to give up possession of the ball so a lot of the ball movement is designed to get your opponent out of a defensive posture and that is when teams try to attack you as you are more vulnerable then. So that's the chess match. The team with possession of the ball is the team that is in control of the flow of the game. If one team can deny the other team the ball, they control the tempo and the game and force the other team to try to get more aggressive to get control of the ball, but that's when teams attack you. It's all about ball control really. It's why you will see the possession stat thrown up in games, it gives you an idea of who is controlling play. But that stat can be misleading because there are teams that win even when they don't own the possession advantage. You can think of them as you would a really good offensive team. They don't need a lot of possession time to score, so they sit back and play defensive and they wait for you to make a mistake, get overly aggressive and out of position and then they pounce on you quickly. It's called counterattacking and it's very effective if you know how to pull it off and you have very good forwards that can beat players one on one.

Where this really comes into play is once someone has taken the lead. If you score first, now you are in a better position to control the game, all you need to do at this point is to try to prevent the opponent from getting good scoring chances. You can play more defensively. It's not unlike in football playing a prevent defense in the 4th quarter with a lead, however this can happen quite early on in soccer. However just like in football, it doesn't always work because you are giving up field position when you play more defensively and typically allowing the opposing team more possession, so it's a trade off. You really have to know when to attack and when to defend. The best teams in the world can score even if they only have a few real chances to score. That's what makes them so good is they don't need to try to score constantly, they wait till they see an opening and then they attack and they are pretty good at scoring when the chance presents itself.

Again, if you don't watch games regularly all of this will be completely lost on you which makes for a very boring game as it just seems like teams are knocking the ball around with no real goal in mind, but that's not what's happening at all. Teams are trying to get the opponent out of position and wear them down with passing making them constantly move. Once they see an opening, then they will attack. It's a chess match. The game is not about scoring a lot of goals, it's about scoring more than your opponent. If you can prevent them from scoring at all, all you need is 1 goal to win the match.

The other thing is that soccer is all about team and not about individual players. Even the best players in the world are supported by some of the best players in the world. Even the best player in the world on an average team will look average because there's really very little 1 individual can do if the other team is more talented than your entire team. You can just play keep away of that one player and there's almost nothing they can do about it. Good teams try to attack your weakest player, but teams try to protect their weakest player, so again it's a chess match trying to catch a team out of position and then exploit that. It's actually a very tactical and beautiful game once you know what to look for. It wouldn't be the most played sport around the world if it weren't.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 12:04:15 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2022, 09:46:27 pm »

Even though I don't watch it regularly (or much at all), I really do understand the principle of ball control. I just find a glorified game of keep away to be totally boring as shit.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2022, 09:38:00 am »

I think most people in the US feel that way because you have options but if its all you've got then you jump on it. Easy enough to pick up a ball and kick it around but its hard to duplicate the excitement the NFL creates. We've had a National Team for 137 years and a much larger popluation than most and yet still can't compete on the World's stage. This pretty much proves to me that it isn't exciting enough to get invested here in the US.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2022, 03:59:28 pm »

Portugal just dropped 6 on the Swiss, that had plenty of goals
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2022, 12:02:16 pm »

I think most people in the US feel that way because you have options but if its all you've got then you jump on it. Easy enough to pick up a ball and kick it around but its hard to duplicate the excitement the NFL creates. We've had a National Team for 137 years and a much larger popluation than most and yet still can't compete on the World's stage. This pretty much proves to me that it isn't exciting enough to get invested here in the US.

That's basically it. We have 4 major sports, not counting MMA. The rest of the world has Soccer and only sometimes Basketball, Hockey and Baseball. Plus, Soccer is the cheapest sport to play, just kick any ball into any area and you're playing it. Combine that with other nations being poorer than us and that explains the popularity.

Soccer will never be a huge thing in America with all of these other sports.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2022, 12:45:51 pm »

^ I think it's also that our best athletes don't choose soccer.  That's not where the glory or money is at any level.

If we had our Lebron Jameses and Tyreek Hills of the US playing soccer since they were 5 years old, it'd be a different story.

I drink your milkshake!
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2022, 12:56:04 pm »

^ I think it's also that our best athletes don't choose soccer.  That's not where the glory or money is at any level.

If we had our Lebron Jameses and Tyreek Hills of the US playing soccer since they were 5 years old, it'd be a different story.

I think Lebron and Tyreek devoting the next 2 years of their lives to soccer is enough. We have giant, genetic freaks in America. Top 11 Wideouts in the NFL would dwarf the size of any World Cup team and run faster too. They don't choose to play soccer because the money isn't there right now. Need some Saudi Arabian Oil Money into MLS to get athletes to choose the sport.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2022, 06:48:06 pm »

Players on European teams look like football players. Well, maybe not offensive lineman but definitley LBs and RBs in the group. If the teams likes targets instead of normal stikers then they may even have a TE or two. I remember the first time we had Stoke City in for a visit. I was blown away at how they dwarfed our Orlando City team. Peter Crouch was on Stoke and he is 6'7". We didn't have anyone much taller than 6' ... LOL.  I've stood next to many of our Dolphin players and they don't look any different.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 06:53:07 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2022, 01:45:26 pm »

I'm just here to say that the OT rules are dumb.

1) It should just be sudden death, next goal wins.
2) Failing that, if a team scores in the first 15 minute segment, don't force the other 15 minute segment.

Shootouts are bad, and a guessing game, which should be avoided when possible.

I drink your milkshake!
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2022, 02:56:25 pm »

2) Failing that, if a team scores in the first 15 minute segment, don't force the other 15 minute segment.

I see the Pros and Cons of it. Shootouts are indeed a guessing game, which is why some teams kinda play full on defense for 120 minutes so they can get to them against superior opponents.

What I will never defend is a penalty shot being a live ball after a goalie stops it. That's ridiculous, play should be dead right after the save.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2022, 03:07:51 pm »

I just pulled this off the internet "Those who study the physical demands of soccer generally agree that the average running distance in adult male professional soccer is between 6 and 8.5 miles". We've always said 7 miles. Either way, soccer is a tough game to recover from from a cardio stand. Add another 45 minutes or God forbid even more and there isn't anyone that can recover during a tournament. PKs are the only way to make sure that doesn't happen. In fact, it's a part of the game already and this just makes it a more important part of the game.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2022, 05:40:33 pm »

Just for the record, athleticism doesn't make the best soccer players. Skill does. You could take all the best athletes the US has and try to teach them how to play soccer and they would be HORRIBLE. Not nearly as good as anyone on the US mens team who have all been playing since they were like 3 or 4 years old. Sure running fast helps, but if you aren't carrying the ball at your feet while you do it, then it doesn't much matter and striking a ball isn't the same as throwing one or passing one with your hands. It takes years of training to be able to do it as well as the guys on the US mens team do. They make it look easy. It's not. Yes, it's true that the US will never be a powerhouse in soccer, but it's not because we don't have the best athletes playing soccer, it's because they don't get the same competition here in the US they get in other countries. Most of the US men play in Europe now, but they didn't grow up playing against the best in the world like the players in Europe did. That's how you get to be the best, by playing against the best. Till that happens that US will never be able to compete with the best teams in the world.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2022, 05:49:13 pm »

Unfortunately you can't play soccer until one team comes out on top because it could take a VERY long time so there has to be a way to determine a winner in the knockout stages of a tournament and a penalty kick shootout is actually extremely exciting to watch. I honestly don't know why people don't like them.

As far as playing the full overtime, well some tournaments do play what they call "Golden Goal" which means that the first team to score in extra time is the winner, but sometimes which direction you are going can make a big difference so they tend to not use that too much so that each team gets a chance to score going in both directions.

There are solid reasons behind all the rules, but again if you don't really watch the game or play it, it won't make a lot of sense to you.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 05:50:54 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2022, 09:39:53 pm »

I've always found it strange that the people who typically dislike the low scoring aspect of the game also dislike penalty shootouts which creates the excitement of goals.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2022, 04:12:43 pm »

If you want to "ease" into watching soccer, try watching some indoor soccer. There's a LOT more scoring in indoor soccer, but the basic rules of the game still apply. It's a smaller enclosed field with fewer players so there's very little "downtime". When my kids were growing up and started playing soccer we became fans of the Dallas Sidekicks and I fell in love with the sport. Very fast paced, much like watching hockey. We could afford to get front row seats for the entire family for several games a year. Massive fun.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 04:15:44 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray