Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:00:47 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Flores and his staff discouraged Tua from looking off defenders
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Flores and his staff discouraged Tua from looking off defenders  (Read 787 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« on: December 01, 2022, 05:04:51 pm »

As many of you may know already, there was a report during the Texans broadcast that several times last season, Tua asked himself "Do I suck?" and questioned whether he had what it takes to play at the pro level, due to the harsh criticism he was taking from both fans and the coaching staff.  When McDaniel was hired, he sat down with Tua and showed him a 700-play video of Tua making high-level plays.  Tua previously mentioned in a postgame interview that McDaniel is the first coach he's ever had (!!!) that has encouraged his play and built him up.  I mean, given the reporting on how strict and punishing his dad was, and what we already know about Nick Saban's coaching style, that's entirely believable, but still, it's pretty surprising.

Anyway, there's some additional detail coming out about the coaching last season.  Apparently, Flores did not approve of Tua looking off defenders, and told him not to do that.

There were a lot of us saying that Flores was sabotaging Tua, and we didn't even know the half of it.  It is hard to put into words how much damage Flores tried to do to this franchise.  This is Josh McDaniels on the Broncos-level of legendary buffoonery.  Dude is a legit menace.

DenverFinFan
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 05:21:02 pm »

We were right.

It kind of makes you wonder if Flo was working for Bellichick the whole time.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 06:09:43 pm »

As much as I miss McDaniel in SF, I am so incredibly glad that he came to Miami and got to work with Tua...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 12:45:18 am »

Here is the full podcast.  The section about the Dolphins starts around 18:00.  It's a great listen.

This is the kind of reporting that will get Mike McDaniel Coach of the Year votes... and they will be well-deserved.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 09:08:24 am »

^^^That was an excellent segment on McDaniel and Tua...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2022, 10:24:09 am »

We were right.

It kind of makes you wonder if Flo was working for Bellichick the whole time.

I was screaming at us to not win games in 2019 with a 37 year old QB as it would've hurt the franchise long term. We only got Tua out of pure luck. The Redskins and Lions picked 2 and 3 and both needed QB's but they went defense instead, obviously the wrong move.

The Flores tenure was a disaster, he is not fit to be a Head Coach and very likely never will be again. Probably the only HC in history to start his 3rd season 1-7 and keep his job for the whole year.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2022, 04:14:26 pm »

I think Flores was a control freak who never wanted Tua. Might have been just a beef with upper management but it sure seems like he did everything in his power to make Tua look bad.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2022, 04:25:22 pm »

I think Flores was a control freak who never wanted Tua. Might have been just a beef with upper management but it sure seems like he did everything in his power to make Tua look bad.

I think he never wanted part of a rebuild and wanted wins on the board even if they were meaningless and wouldn't lead to more in future seasons. We all know that Josh Rosen wasn't the long term answer for us or any other team, but he should've started over Fitzpatrick. We traded solid draft capital for him and he could've been our franchise QB where Ryan was already 37. He was not given a fair chance by us. He very likely would've failed like he has ever since but the franchise didn't do what was best for the long term outcome, only the short term.
DenverFinFan
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2022, 04:46:08 pm »

I think he never wanted part of a rebuild and wanted wins on the board even if they were meaningless and wouldn't lead to more in future seasons. We all know that Josh Rosen wasn't the long term answer for us or any other team, but he should've started over Fitzpatrick. We traded solid draft capital for him and he could've been our franchise QB where Ryan was already 37. He was not given a fair chance by us. He very likely would've failed like he has ever since but the franchise didn't do what was best for the long term outcome, only the short term.

Star Rosen every week because you win either way. Either he lives up to his draft position or he guarantees the #1 overall pick. Nothing that year made sense.

Flores was so bad and detrimental to this team that it reinforces my entirely baseless theory that he was a Bellichick double agent.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2022, 08:56:42 am »

I think the performance of the bellichick "tree" and how the patriots have played without brady even tho they have a QB that a vast majority of the NFL inteligencia claim was better than Tua puts a tidy little bow on the whole QB vs Coach debate. Brady made the patriots dynasty. Bellichick was a hack that can't cut it otherwise.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2022, 11:38:37 am »

I think the performance of the bellichick "tree" and how the patriots have played without brady even tho they have a QB that a vast majority of the NFL inteligencia claim was better than Tua puts a tidy little bow on the whole QB vs Coach debate. Brady made the patriots dynasty. Bellichick was a hack that can't cut it otherwise.

I think that everyone that tries to break down the "Coach vs QB debate" is oversimplifying things...on a grand scale.

I also disagree with the argument that Mac Jones was ever really considered better than Tua.

...just my $.02

~ Micah Leggat
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2022, 02:53:22 pm »

Mac Jones is an average QB.  Not great, not awful.  He's Jay Cutler.

I don't think its fair to compare today's Patriots to 10 years ago Patriots.  They had many different pieces in place, like a solid running game, at least a couple serviceable receivers....  They're missing almost an entire capable offense.  Stevenson is a nice player but he's not Corey Dillon in his prime.  There's no Randy Moss, there's no Gronk...  Can't really say with a straight up argument that it was all Brady and that's that.

But back on topic... I was a Flores defender.  But my opinion was based on how he was able to evaluate defensive talent and do a lot defensively with no-name players off the trash pile.  Dave opened my eyes to how bad a game-day coach he was, and as more and more comes out about how he egomaniacally tried to sabotage the team just to "be right" and get Grier to make a move toward Watson, really disgusts me.  He should never be allowed near another NFL clipboard.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2022, 11:55:51 pm »

The only fair way to truly evaluate that comparison would be if Belichick left NE and went to the Chargers or Broncos next year: two incredibly loaded teams that are obviously being poorly coached.  Because that's what happened when Brady went to TB, which was a loaded team that was getting terrible play at the QB position.

These attempts to downplay Belichick's importance are bizarre to me.  So if I understand correctly, great QB Bart Starr with great coach Vince Lombardi won 5 championships together, and great QB Joe Montana with great coach Bill Walsh won 3 championships together, but great QB Tom Brady with "hack" coach Bill Belichick won 6 championships together?

Do you understand the implications of this claim?  You're basically saying that not only is Tom Brady the best QB of all time, he's actually the best player in any American sport by a wide margin, because he had to carry a mediocre coach with him on his way to a record number of titles.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 12:08:17 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2022, 12:23:22 am »

Well another part of the Brady vs. Bellicheat debate is that the Patriots were continually able to attract players via trade or free agency because they were always Super Bowl contenders, and IMO they aren't anymore because Brady is gone, which has led to top free agents not wanting to go to the Patriots.  Players don't want to go play for a stern coach and not make the playoffs.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2022, 11:31:55 am »

^ That was a good listen.  Interesting insight about Tua's strict upbringing and pleasing parents and stuff.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray