Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:57:59 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Why is China still imposing such huge lockdowns?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Why is China still imposing such huge lockdowns?  (Read 926 times)
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« on: December 02, 2022, 07:16:17 pm »

Are they trying to combat climate change?

I mean, maybe a nationwide or worldwide shift to having people who can work from home work from home permanently would be a good idea, but I don't think a full lockdown is necessary.

I LOVE lockdowns, but I understand that most people do not like them.

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2022, 06:18:24 am »

Back to your favorite topic (second favorite, I forgot Brady), COVID. Why do you ask questions that are all over the internet?
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2022, 02:30:17 pm »

I don't think that China has access to our vaccines with the same efficacy or maybe they don't have the doses to cover their entire population.  Their 0 COVID policy isn't sustainable, I guess, but they're still trying.

I don't believe it's likely that they will be straight-forward with their data, so it will be hard to tell how successful their various effort were -- after the initial outbreak, the lockdown process there seemed to help tamp it down.  It sounds like they're having trouble transferring into endemic COVID.

I drink your milkshake!
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2022, 02:36:10 pm »

According to Wikipedia, they did a good job containing the virus by enforcing lockdowns.

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2022, 11:02:07 am »

^ Yeah, they did.

Two things can be true.

Lockdowns are effective at stopping the spread of a virus.  But they have negative social and economic effects.  And it's not sustainable forever.  It's a drastic, but temporary solution to limit spread.

I have heard (though not confirmed) that the availability and perhaps efficacy of the vaccines in China aren't good.  So, the government is still imposing lockdowns and the people are starting to reach their limit.  In addition, China doesn't have free speech laws like we do -- so you can't just go out and protest or you get dragged off.

I drink your milkshake!
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2022, 07:02:35 am »

I don't think that China has access to our vaccines with the same efficacy or maybe they don't have the doses to cover their entire population.  Their 0 COVID policy isn't sustainable, I guess, but they're still trying.

I don't believe it's likely that they will be straight-forward with their data, so it will be hard to tell how successful their various effort were -- after the initial outbreak, the lockdown process there seemed to help tamp it down.  It sounds like they're having trouble transferring into endemic COVID.

This is pretty much it. The Chinese vaccine was rather ineffective as soon as the virus began to mutate (which began to show up in places they supplied the vaccine like Indonesia, where all of a sudden medical professionals who were supposed to be fully vaccinated began catching - and dying from - the new Covid-19 strains originating from India).

They did not have access to our vaccines (be it through stubbornness and/or restrictions) and have resorted to lockdowns during breakouts because they don't have the population coverage. They are supposed to be making some progress with their newer vaccines, but have tried to maintain a Covid-zero strategy (which is failing, and was always eventually going to given enough time).
bsmooth
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2022, 12:57:21 pm »

Are they trying to combat climate change?

I mean, maybe a nationwide or worldwide shift to having people who can work from home work from home permanently would be a good idea, but I don't think a full lockdown is necessary.

I LOVE lockdowns, but I understand that most people do not like them.

Do you think there may be other factors that Jingping is looking at besides climate change?
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2022, 01:05:03 pm »

^^^

Yes, that’s why I started this thread to ask

bsmooth
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2022, 01:12:33 pm »

^^^

Yes, that’s why I started this thread to ask

It feels more like an Occam's Razor inquiry. Why would you consider it might have to do with climate change?
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2022, 01:47:12 pm »

During the lockdowns, global pollution dropped by an unprecedented amount.

Many countries, such as India, reported seeing the clearest skies they've ever seen.

bsmooth
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2022, 02:45:19 pm »

During the lockdowns, global pollution dropped by an unprecedented amount.

Many countries, such as India, reported seeing the clearest skies they've ever seen.

True, but I would chalk that up as a positive unintentional consequence of trying to address the global pandemic vs a designed outcome. China only started addressing its serious pollution issues in some cities when a growing outrage started to manifest into public demonstrations. The CCCP has to keep its citizens placated with continuous economic growth or face a serious threat to their ability to retain power.
Xi cannot openly admit to the country that their own vaccine that they forced onto their entire population has not worked effectively. Zero COVID is more about retaining power and control vs selflessly leading on global climate change.
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2022, 02:53:40 pm »

Is their medical system overworked?

bsmooth
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2022, 10:25:01 am »

Is their medical system overworked?

What does this question have to do with your OP about the China zero COVID plan being about climate change? You are moving goalposts now.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray